Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Bear151556 Bear151556 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 25
Bear151556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mods for running Bio

I was wondering if there are any changes that I should make to my 6.9 to run Bio. I understand that the engine will run just fine as is, but since I have to pull the head off to do the head gaskets anyhow, is there any changes I can make to make more power and be more reliable on Bio?
__________________
1984 F250 6.9l C-6 axle-73 93000 mi
La Crosse WI USA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2005, 09:08 AM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 21,709
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear151556
I was wondering if there are any changes that I should make to my 6.9 to run Bio. I understand that the engine will run just fine as is, but since I have to pull the head off to do the head gaskets anyhow, is there any changes I can make to make more power and be more reliable on Bio?
Nope. FABMANDELUX.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Fire Rooster's Avatar
Fire Rooster Fire Rooster is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,873
Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
YES. you need to change all rubber fuel lines to Viton or synthetic hose. Get newer injectors as the older Fords used natural rubber orings (newer or remans will not have real rubber). That is all you will need to do
__________________
2012 F150 Screw, 2x4 XLT+, Bad Boy Black[SIGPIC]
2002 F250 CC,SB,4X4,Lariat...SOLD. 2003 X, limited SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2005, 10:47 AM
cookie88's Avatar
cookie88 cookie88 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 13,244
cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Rooster, what is done to bio that makes it hard on rubber lines? Pretty much everybody running the tank/pre-pump mods are using 30R-7 rubber fuel hose. Doesen't that put everyone at risk? Isn't the methanol recovered before the fuel is used in the vehicle?
__________________
Scott
His: 01 F-250 Lariat, 7.3, ZF-6, NV271
Hers: 06 Freestar SEL 4.2l
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Fire Rooster's Avatar
Fire Rooster Fire Rooster is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,873
Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You are correct, the methanol is the cause of the deterioration of the natural rubber. It causes premature drying and cracking of the rubber. As for commercially made Bio-diesel they do not wash it, some may use a product called magnasol ( I am not really familiar with it so cannot comment) However most due to time intensive constraints do not wash their BD they rely on complete conversion.(Blindly trusting all methanol and lye was used in the reaction and settled out)

In answer to your question those who are using natural rubber lines for mods, YES they are at risk, however synthetic, preferably viton is a rather cheap fix.
__________________
2012 F150 Screw, 2x4 XLT+, Bad Boy Black[SIGPIC]
2002 F250 CC,SB,4X4,Lariat...SOLD. 2003 X, limited SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2005, 04:34 PM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 21,709
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
You are correct, the methanol is the cause of the deterioration of the natural rubber. It causes premature drying and cracking of the rubber. As for commercially made Bio-diesel they do not wash it, some may use a product called magnasol ( I am not really familiar with it so cannot comment) However most due to time intensive constraints do not wash their BD they rely on complete conversion.(Blindly trusting all methanol and lye was used in the reaction and settled out)

In answer to your question those who are using natural rubber lines for mods, YES they are at risk, however synthetic, preferably viton is a rather cheap fix.
I don't know where you are getting your information, but you are WRONG.
Commercially produced BD is ASTM certified to contain LESS than 1/2 of 1 percent Methanol OR Lye. Biodiesel will not cause "drying and cracking of the rubber", It causes just the OPPOSITE!! BD causes rubber to soften and turn "gooey".

There are 2 commercial BD producers in Oregon, I have toured both their plants and they DO wash their Biodiesel, I am consulting on 2 new biodiesel co-op's that should be up and running this spring, and they plan to wash their biodiesel too!

All Ford and Dodge cummins started using syn fuel lines in 1990, I have been using B-100 in a 96 PSD, and a 90 Dodge for 2 years and have never had a fuel line problem.FABMANDELUX.
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 PM
bigredtruckmi's Avatar
bigredtruckmi bigredtruckmi is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan
Posts: 4,618
bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
For information on biodiesel go to www.biodiesel.org This should clear up the issue.
__________________
red 04 F250 build date 04/04 6.0 PSD
2013 gulfstream canyon trail fifth wheel Aztec edition 40 ft
Vietnam Vet/ OS1 USN/USNR retired 26 years
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Fire Rooster's Avatar
Fire Rooster Fire Rooster is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,873
Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
I don't know where you are getting your information, but you are WRONG.
Commercially produced BD is ASTM certified to contain LESS than 1/2 of 1 percent Methanol OR Lye. Biodiesel will not cause "drying and cracking of the rubber", It causes just the OPPOSITE!! BD causes rubber to soften and turn "gooey".

There are 2 commercial BD producers in Oregon, I have toured both their plants and they DO wash their Biodiesel, I am consulting on 2 new biodiesel co-op's that should be up and running this spring, and they plan to wash their biodiesel too!

All Ford and Dodge cummins started using syn fuel lines in 1990, I have been using B-100 in a 96 PSD, and a 90 Dodge for 2 years and have never had a fuel line problem.FABMANDELUX.

Hey slick,

methanol DOES dry and crack ALL Rubber seals, matter of fact ALL alcohol dries and cracks rubber. As for Co-ops yes they may wash as I stated I some plants do not. So just because you are in with two does not mean All do. And no I personally know of two (non-co-op) but petroleum distributors who do not wash their BD. Oh and reread the original posters question, he drives an 1984 6.9L What that has to do with your vehicles I do not know but I am glad to see you are successfully running BD in them. I run ASTM quality home brew in my two PSD's too. Wanna twinkie? So before you want to start the flaming get your facts straight and learn to read or do not bother commenting.
__________________
2012 F150 Screw, 2x4 XLT+, Bad Boy Black[SIGPIC]
2002 F250 CC,SB,4X4,Lariat...SOLD. 2003 X, limited SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 PM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 21,709
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
Hey slick,

methanol DOES dry and crack ALL Rubber seals, matter of fact ALL alcohol dries and cracks rubber. As for Co-ops yes they may wash as I stated I some plants do not. So just because you are in with two does not mean All do. And no I personally know of two (non-co-op) but petroleum distributors who do not wash their BD. Oh and reread the original posters question, he drives an 1984 6.9L What that has to do with your vehicles I do not know but I am glad to see you are successfully running BD in them. I run ASTM quality home brew in my two PSD's too. Wanna twinkie? So before you want to start the flaming get your facts straight and learn to read or do not bother commenting.
First, I did not call YOU any names.........
Second, I have a large box of softened rubber hoses I'll gladly send to you at my expence if you'll just send an address?
Third, YOU stated "as for commerically made bio-diesel THEY DO NOT WASH IT" I only stated that the 2 I had toured and the 2 I have an interest in all wash their product.
Fourth, I only stated that after 1990 Ford and Dodge owners do not have to worry.

Merry Christmas FABMANDELUX.
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Fire Rooster's Avatar
Fire Rooster Fire Rooster is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,873
Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I appreciate the offer. However I am currently involved in a testing process for a buddy who makes, markets and sells fuel sytems for the PSD's. We are testing many kinds of hoses, with washed, unwashed, commercial, and petroleum diesel. Sorry for the name calling. And you also have a merry christmas
__________________
2012 F150 Screw, 2x4 XLT+, Bad Boy Black[SIGPIC]
2002 F250 CC,SB,4X4,Lariat...SOLD. 2003 X, limited SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:21 PM
chadjones99's Avatar
chadjones99 chadjones99 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: arizona
Posts: 452
chadjones99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation to wash or not to

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
All Ford and Dodge cummins started using syn fuel lines in 1990, I have been using B-100 in a 96 PSD, and a 90 Dodge for 2 years and have never had a fuel line problem.FABMANDELUX.
ok so if i have a newer ford, then i do not need to wash ?
thanks
chad
(just started making my own and dont want to wash because it adds a lot of time on to making it)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:49 PM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 21,709
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99
ok so if i have a newer ford, then i do not need to wash ?
thanks
chad
(just started making my own and dont want to wash because it adds a lot of time on to making it)
That's a topic that is highly debated. 9 out of 10 homebrewers do, I however do not. In my nearly 2 years I've found that IF I let it settle for 6-weeks total, the exess methanol evaporates, and the small fraction of KOH settles to the bottom of the tank. I've had 2 batches tested and BOTH came back meeting ASTM specs. If you wash at the recomended 30 percent ratio the min 3 times, you have 90 gal of wash water to dispose of for every 100 gal made. No thank you. I'm quite happy with my way. FABMANDELUX
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2006, 01:19 AM
chadjones99's Avatar
chadjones99 chadjones99 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: arizona
Posts: 452
chadjones99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wink wash or not to wash

so you let yours sit for 6 weeks ? wow thats a while, i guess if i start making more than i can use, then i would be able to let it settle out.
do you always or have you always let it settle that long ?
thanks for the info
chad
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2006, 07:15 AM
62 red truck 62 red truck is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ROBERTS,WI
Posts: 117
62 red truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dumb ? for very smart guys.Minnesota just started using a blend using 2% soybean.The paper reports poor performance,hard starting,and clogged fuel filters.The reason I ask is I live in Wi but fill up in Mn.The diesel is about 10 to 20 cent cheaper.Should I stay away from the blended? I drive a 2004 pickup.Thanks for any input. Larry
__________________
62 F100 STEPSIDE SWB
04 4.6L/OD TRANY,PS
PB DISK,C/V K MEMBER
18" WHEELS
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 21,709
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 red truck
Dumb ? for very smart guys.Minnesota just started using a blend using 2% soybean.The paper reports poor performance,hard starting,and clogged fuel filters.The reason I ask is I live in Wi but fill up in Mn.The diesel is about 10 to 20 cent cheaper.Should I stay away from the blended? I drive a 2004 pickup.Thanks for any input. Larry
Are those "reports" on line? I'd like to read them. Many fleets in my area use B-5 and have not reported any problems. I've only had filter plugging on 2 of the diesels we use it in, and after changing fuel filters twice, no more clogging. I'm using B-80 now and have had no "gelling" and have had temps as low as 13deg. All the data I've read says no problems at all using up to B-5. FABMANDELUX.
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup