Notices

Waxing car in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
'03Beast
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing car in cold weather

Normally when waxing a car its recommended not to do it in the sun as it makes the wax harden. Is this more an issue when its warm out? I am wondering because i'd like to wax my car tomorrow and its going to be sunny but its gonna be in the 40s. I dont really have access to a shady area. Will the wax still be difficult to rub out if the sun is out but its cold? Just something i'd like to know hoping maybe someone has an answer. Thanks for any feedback

Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
cherryredF-150
New User
I believe the reason the wax gets hard to remove is because is “bakes on” a hot surface. As long as your paint surface stays reasonably cool you should be fine.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
'03Beast
Freshman User
so you think it will be okay to do it? Forecast says mostly sunny high of 46F for tomorrow. I've just heard that when its cold it makes it much harder to remove the excess wax and may leave a cloudy finish.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:02 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
When the weather gets that chilly, I look to do it in the sun. The wax never gets to a dry haze other wise. You will be fine.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:27 AM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I've waxed my vehicles in much colder temps(20 degrees!). As long as your vehicle is dry, you should have no problems waxing it in 40 degree temps. I'd recommend using a paste wax in colder temps, as the liquid waxes tend to freeze.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:13 PM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the Meguiars web site...

The best surface temperature range for applying cleaners, polishes, and protectants is approximately 60° to 80° Fahrenheit. More importantly, the surface does not feel warm or hot to the touch.

Basically, when you're working within this temperature range, it's not too cold, and it's not too warm to realize exceptional results from just about any Meguiar's product.

Meguiar's products will work easily within a much broader temperature range, such as, 50° to 90° Fahrenheit, but guaranteed best results will be achieved in the 60° to 80° range.

Ambient Temperature (Outside temperature)

Ambient temperature is the room temperature or the temperature of the surrounding environment. It's easily possible to have a 10° to 50° difference in ambient temperature compared to surface temperature. This can make the difference between a product that's easy to work with, or hard to work with. Keep in mind, the hotter the ambient temperature, the quicker products will dry.

Humidity (Moisture in the air)

Simply put, humidity is moisture in the air. Technically there is Relative Humidity and Absolute Humidity, but as it relates to:

Applying
Working with
Curing, drying, hazing
Wipe-off or removal
Of car care products.

The simple explanation of moisture in the air, or more specifically, the amount of moisture in the air is the major factor, which will affect how easily or potentially difficult a product will be to work with, or a procedure will be to perform.

Low humidity, in warm to hot temperatures, will act to cause liquids to evaporate and dry more quickly. This can make a product difficult to work with or decrease the amount of time the product remains easily workable on the surface.

High humidity in cold temperatures can make products hard to work because it can dramatically increase the amount of time necessary for the product to cure, dry or haze (depending on which product your using).

Low humidity in low temperatures tends not to be a factor in working with, cure times, and when applying and in the removal of cleaners, polishes, and protectants (Low temperatures are a factor, but not low humidity in low temperatures).

High humidity in high temperatures tends not to be a factor in working with, cure times, and when applying and in the removal of cleaners, polishes, and protectants (High temperatures are a factor, but not high humidity in high temperatures)

Extreme temperatures, both cold and hot will make any product more difficult to work with.

Direct sunlight

Direct sunlight will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures and make cleaners, polishes and protectants extremely more difficult to apply, work and remove.

Air current/Wind

Air current/air flow, or windy conditions will act to increase the evaporation speed and potentially making some products more difficult to apply, work, or remove. In some cases this can be a bonus, helping a wax to cure/dry more quickly.

Summary: The best conditions for using cleaners, polishes and protectants on automotive paints would be in a cool place, out of direct sunlight, in a surface temperature range between 60° and 80° Fahrenheit, with comfortable to low humidity, with a light breeze to create the perfect conditions for detailing your car's finish.

Common sense and a good rule-of-thumb is to avoid applying any product if the surface is too warm to touch with the palm of your hand comfortably.

52° Fahrenheit = 11.1° Celsius
90° Fahrenheit = 32.2° Celsius

Old 12-08-2005, 10:15 PM
06RANGER
Senior User
Get a good base on your truck before winter, e.g. Klasse, Zaino, or Collinite, then maintain with Optimum Spray Car Wax in the winter.