1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

strange whistle when very cold out

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
possumfat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange whistle when very cold out

when i start the truck when its real cold....even if it is plugged in, it makes a intermitten whistle. usually about 1500-2000 rpm. sounds like its from the turbo. but when it reaches normal tempreature it stops whistling and runs normal. its a 95 250 psd. 177,000 miles . i would appreciate any help on the subject. thanks
npriceshoeing.com

Old 11-16-2005, 10:13 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sounds like your EBPV is kicking in. does it whistle after warmed up?

try unplugging it and then try cranking it cold

-cutts-

Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 PM
possumfat
New User
no it dosent whistle when it warms up. are there any problems that can be fixed?

Old 11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
possumfat
New User
what is a ebpv ???

Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Brianjharder
Junior User
The whistling that you are hearing is the EBPV valve which is located just behind the turbo it closes when the engine is cold restricting exhaust which allows the engine to heat up faster.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
only problem i can think oif that would come of continued use of the EBPV is shorting out and causing blown fuses!

how cold are we talking? below 32*?

-cutts-

Old 11-16-2005, 10:21 PM
possumfat
New User
well it is fifteen tonight in northern illinois. would new glow plugs help any? and the guy i bought the truck from had bought black plastic inserts that go inbetween the grill slot in front of the radiator....would that help?? thanks, possumfat

Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Brianjharder
Junior User
another thing also with the EBPV is that they can sometimes leak a large amount of oil while it is open in the cold. As this is my case at this time that in the morning I generally let mine warm up for a couple minutes before I take off in the morning and then when I get to my destination I stop and there is quite a puddle of oil there. I do have the parts fix this however it will take a better part of a day to do and then of course there is my new problem that is I lost my front passenger side wheel bearings while going 65mph down the freeway.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first time my wife notices the sbpv kicking in, I was at work and she caled me there telling me there was something wrong with the truck. "Sounds really load and looses some power, but it goes away for a bit if I push on the go pedal." I wasn't sure, but then within the next week, it happened to me as well. I just started to laugh. Last year, when it was cold, I still had a full exhaust system so it wan't very noticable. This year with the open exhaust, it double the sound. Just sounds like a jake brake on a big truck.(well not quite)
Don't worry, it's perfectly normal. once the truck is warm, it's business as usual. Open your exhaust up and then it will really be noticable.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 PM
possumfat
New User
Talking

thanks for all your help fellas. its good to know that everything is normal!

possumfat

Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
skratch
New User
I am glad I found this thread. Same thing happened to me yesterday. 36F outside on a cold start. I heard the same noise when I decelerated. It went away after 10 mins of warm up and 5 minutes of driving.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:24 AM
wilbur996
Senior User
I've been reading all I can about this EBPV and have a question. Is it normal when the engine is cold and driving that the EBPV opens and closes? This happens mostly at part throttle. The truck hisses and surges when this happens. It all goes away once it is completely warmed up or if you stick your foot into it. Or is the EBPV suppose stay at a part closed position and gradually open, kinda like a heat riser valve on the exhaust manifold of a gas motor.

I just bought the truck used, it is a 99, PSD, F350, CC, 6 spd, 118K miles. I have a 99, PSD, E350, auto, and it doesn't do this.

I see this is not in the correct forum section for my year but didn't really want to start a new thread.

Thanks

Last edited by wilbur996; 12-15-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
stroker2
Senior User
Originally Posted by wilbur996
I've been reading all I can about this EBPV and have a question. Is it normal when the engine is cold and driving that the EBPV opens and closes? This happens mostly at part throttle. The truck hisses and surges when this happens. It all goes away once it is completely warmed up or if you stick your foot into it. Or is the EBPV suppose stay at a part closed position and gradually open, kinda like a heat riser valve on the exhaust manifold of a gas motor.

I just bought the truck used, it is a 99, PSD, F350, CC, 6 spd, 118K miles. I have a 99, PSD, E350, auto, and it doesn't do this.

I see this is not in the correct forum section for my year but didn't really want to start a new thread.

Thanks
Yes it's normal for the EBPV to open and close while driving with the engine cold. When the EBP sensor (monitoring passenger side exhaust manifold pressure) reaches a certain pressure, the PCM opens the EBP valve. If the EOT (engine oil temp) sensor is still below a certain temp, the PCM will close the EBP valve again after the EBP sensor pressure has been reduced again. I think the valve, if working properly, is either fully open or fully closed. It may be forced open somewhat by the exhaust pressure from the turbo. Here's a thread from the 99-'03 forum that covers things in detail for your reading pleasure. Not sure why your E350 doesn't do it and your F350 does.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=430880

Old 12-15-2005, 01:58 PM
wilbur996
Senior User
stroker2,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. This whole EBPV issue is very interesting.