Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Junior User

jrwhitey_2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opinions on finishing inside of pole barn

I just finished putting up a new 32x40x12 pole barn. I am now ready to start finishing the inside. The building is built with 6x6 treted posts 8' on center. The truss are 4' on center. What some opimions on finishing the inide of this building? Money is an factor. I will be working in it year round. I am in Ohio. What about insulation?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Posting Guru

nick88f150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We just built one, and we plan on putting up pegboard. Money is an issue withus too, so we'll probably just pu up like one row, and use reg. ply for the rest. But the pegboard would be nice to hang yard tools and such. you could leave the trusses open, they're nice for storing ladders and lumber.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
How about OSB, it's cheap and has good dimensional stability. And yeah, as much insulation as you can afford.

Sheetrock doesn't burn.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Senior User

draglink is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just finished my 30x32 pole barn/garage. I finished it with 1/4" lauan plywood(walls & ceiling)stained and finished. I used r13 in the walls, blew in insulation in attic. It turned out great. I have pics in my gallery. Go to 1979... my gallery is named "4RDMAN", Mike
1975 Mako, 23', 351W
GLOUCESTER, VA
Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by draglink
I just finished my 30x32 pole barn/garage. I finished it with 1/4" lauan plywood(walls & ceiling)stained and finished. I used r13 in the walls, blew in insulation in attic. It turned out great. I have pics in my gallery. Go to 1979... my gallery is named "4RDMAN", Mike
Checked out your gallery: Who needs a house?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Senior User

sparky30_06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
stay away from OSB it takes alot of paint to paint it and doesn't give a very nice smooth finish. we just finished my neighbors shop with it and didn't turn out that nice. in my pole barn i put nailers every 2 foot from the floor up to the ceiling. i put 1/2" CDX plywood stood on there 8 foot end then drywalled the rest. when i was mudding the drywall i hit all the knot holes and seams on the plywood and then when i painted it everything is nice and smooth and with 1/2" plywood on the walls i can hang just about anything anywhere.
oh yea and for insulation the guys that built the shell of the building had 8' wide 6" thick bats of insulation.
hypermax turbo and injector pump
custom NOS

Last edited by sparky30_06; 11-17-2005 at 07:18 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Freshman User

Donutrcng is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used 2x4 and drywall contstruction to make a shop area inside the barn. My sides are 14 feet high, so I have a shop down below with stairs and 6 feet of head room for storage up above. Just make sure to put plenty of elec. outlets and run your air lines first.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Junior User

98f1504x4ohio is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would look into expanding foam insulation for the walls, then maybe blow the attic in? Personally, my shop that I will build someday will be made out of concrete blocks. I would most likely fill them with insulation as I went. I've also heard that radiant heating is the most efficient. I'd probably stick a window unit A/C in it in the summertime too, just because I could!!!
79 Jeep CJ 7, In pieces, but I got it for $850
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Senior User

blown insulation in the ceiling is great you can get an r30 very easily up there just have to watch your venting. if you are using sofit vents make sure they don't cover them. in floor radiant heat is the only way to go for sure!!!!! as for a/c well i got a central a/c unit out of a house they where remodeling a few favors from a tinner and a/c tech and she is up and running cooling it off to darn near a meat locker in the summer if needed
custom NOS
Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
New User

64Falcon is starting off with a positive reputation.
What kind of work will you be doing in this thing? I think that would dictate what you use to finish the inside. A 32x40 rectangle would use about 36 sheets of 1/2" 12' drywall set vertically. From what I hear radiant floor heat is the way to go, but if you've already poured the floor, it might be too late. How much room above the work space? Can you use it for storage? Always good to hear from a fellow Ahiyan.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Senior User

plapczynski is starting off with a positive reputation.
The pole barn on the property we bought has the same steel walls on the inside. Holes were cut in the walls and insulation was blown in. The same was done in the ceiling, it's level with the top of the wall height (10') and has the same blown insulation. I't usually pretty comfy out there, but it's still out first winter.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Senior User

only bad thing i have found with complete drywall is that it gets banged up very easily, tuff to hang things anywhere and if you do any kind of washing in there water is a problem. if you stand the plywood on it's end that will leave you with 4' above it so u can get 4 x 10 sheets of rock and place them above it. i'm helping my neighbor finish his. he has 16' ceilings and he went with particle board 8' up then the rest tin and a tin ceiling and it echoes so bad in there i thnik it's gona suck when we start motors in there.
custom NOS
Old 11-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Posting Guru

Dave Severson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did my old shop (sold it a few years back) with 5/8" sheetrock, then put tin 4' up from the floor all the way around it to save the sheetrock from damage. I sealed the bottom of the tin to the floor, cleanup was a breeze. With the tin on the bottom and sealed to the floor there were no problems using a water hose to scrub it out real good.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Junior User

jrwhitey_2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The primary use for this shop will be for my small engine repair shop
Old 11-18-2005, 06:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
barn, building, ceiling, finish, finishing, garage, horse, inside, insulate, interior, pole, polebarn, putting, stall, tin, ways