2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please explain why newer vehicles do this.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:36 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please explain why newer vehicles do this.

I have wondered this for several years. Why do newer vehicles take so long to start when you crank them.
I assume it's all because of fuel injection, computers etc. but it's rather annoying.
My f-150 seems to be the worst one i've seen yet.

In case you don't understand my comments....when you crank a new car it will turn over for a few seconds before it starts, but older cars(60's,70's) you could literally just bump the key on some and they would start.
I know it's not a problem it's just rather aggrivating to need to crank on my new truck for two seconds when "granny's" galaxie will fire instantanesouly(spelling)

Am I the fruitball here or has anyone else noticed this?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM
jdew1920
Senior User
It shouldn't take 2 seconds. if its really that long then something is wrong.

Under pretty much all conditions it should take <0.5 second, typically 0.1 seconds or less. That's time measured from when the crank starts to run up to about 600-800 rpm. This is assuming fuel pressure is already up. I have no experience with the 5.4 or 4.6 in the F150.

Next time you start, just turn the key on but not to crank, that should energize the fuel pump and get your fuel pressure up - this should only take a second. Then try cranking and see if its better. The delay in fuel pressure is the only thing I can see that should delay the crank.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
I think my cars start to quickly. They start instantly and I worry that they should crank a turn or 2 to start the oil flow. This is msore critical after an oil change. I end up turning them off immediately 2 or 3 times after an oil change until I get oil pressure. The engines ar a 98 4.6, an 01 3.0 DOHC and a 04 5.4.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 AM
jdew1920
Senior User
Your engine will probably be turning at about 50 or 60 RPM by the starter itself before it actually "starts".

Old 11-16-2005, 11:14 AM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
My 03 Expy 4.6 does this. Sometimes it will crank immediately, but most of the time it will turn over 2-5 seconds before it will start. I have cycled the switch a few times to prime the *fuel pump, which doesn't seem to help.

This is a little embarrasing to be in a parking lot full of people, with a new vehicle, and have to grind on it forever to start.

Yesterday I tried cracking the throttle when I cranked and it started immediately. I then ran the throttle body screw in 1/2 round to keep the plates open more. It seemed to help quite a bit. I'll see how it does in the long run.

It looked like the throttle stop screw had worn into the plastic throttle linkage a little from use. The linkage on my T-Bird 4.6 is all metal. Plastic is cheaped I guess.

I don't know what kind of throttle stop the 3V has, it may be the same. Try just touching your throttle when starting to see if it helps.

If it works long term I will get my ohm meter out and check the TPS and IAC voltage to make sure they are still in spec. I may have to adjust the TPS a little, but that is easy enough if the throttle plate adjustment permanently cured the slow start.

Last edited by yardbird; 11-16-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:30 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
None of my vehicles do that, I would get your truck checked out.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 PM
torino_gt
Senior User
gpeade,
i have complaned about this for years also. most guys probably haven't driven a carbed vehicle in a long time or ever. i still have my 72 torino and 78 bronco, then jump to a 05 fx4, big change. fuel injectors i believe are the blame for this, or it could be the ecu, who knows for sure? i just think its crazy, a ford's a ford when you can barely hit the key and she's runnin'. and for you other guys thinkin gpeade is just old, i'm only 27.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:34 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it takes that long to start.Then you have a problem in the fuel system
Within the tank on the fuel pump is a chk valve that will hold pressure at the fuel rail until it is released or the chk valve is bad.or the fuel pressure regulator could be bad or leaking also
Do a fuel pressure test at the rail and you will see what happens.
Rich

Last edited by FortyFords; 11-16-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine dosent seem too long, i dont notice anything between new cars and older cars unless they are really old. but ive noticed some manufacters will crank longer especially bmws you gotta hold the key there for a bit.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
gpeade
Elder User
What I am talking about isn't a problem with the vehicle it's an inherient trait of fuel injected(i think) vehicles. Maybe we exaggerated in saying it takes 2-3 seconds to start. What I am referring to is how older carbed vehicles would start instantaneously. I have had vehicles in my shop that no matter how quick you tried to hit the key and release it it would still start. Trust me...I've tried with some.

This started in the last 80's with the intruduction of fuel injection and most people have either forgotten about it or never noticed it.

What made me complain about my F-150 is it seems to be the slowest to start of any vehicle I have owned. When I first got it for several months I would sometimes accidently release the key before it was running because that was how long my mind was accustomed to cranking a vehicle.
Again it's not a problem it's just something I find the need to complain about

If you don't see what I am saying find someone (hopefully that you know) with a 70 some Ford that runs well, It doesn't have to modified just in good running order. For ease of illustration do this with both (his and yours) engines warm. Hit the key in your truck and start it, them do the same in the older vehicle. The older engine will start quicker than the new one. Than't my experience anyway.

oh yea, I'm 34.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Man ya'll, seriously, 2 seconds is forever?
It takes 2 seconds just to say "2 seconds".

There are a lot of things working against the newer cars, mainly the Emmissions Controls and ECU. All that stuff has to get energized and fired up prior to starting the engine so it can take the proper readings and ensure the car is still running clean. There are literally hundreds of readings taking place from the time the key is inserted to the time the engine is at full idle.

If you have to bump the throttle to get it started, that is a problem. If it fails to start after a few seconds, that is a problem. If it takes longer than your '72 Torino, that is just a trait of your newer vehicle that you have to live with.

yardbird has the best sounding theory so far, and his 2-5 second start time does seem a little excessive for an otherwise properly running vehicle. I would suggest looking at the throttle body screw and see if this may be a factor. Otherwise, just know that there is a lot more going on now prior to startup than in older cars.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
03trueblue
Senior User
I know exactly what you are talking about, but my truck only takes about a second to fire over.

In the "old" days all you had to do is push the accelerator all the way to the floor to close the butterfly on the carb., and then bump the key and it would fire right up, no crank at all. Of course, if the car was already warm, you didn't even have to push the accelerator.

Hey torino_gt, I own 2 - 1976 Gran Torinos

Old 11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
whimsey
Senior User
I have a 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 and it starts/catches WITHOUT ANY delay. I just wish the rpms after starting weren't so high. I don't have a tach, XL model, but she sounds way too fast for a just started cold motor.

Whimsey

Search this Thread