Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Senior User

warrens250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biodiesel - First Results

Put my first tank of Biodiesel in yesterday. Added 27 gallons of 99% bio to make a mix of 70% bio. My first observations are:
1. Seems slightly harder to start; cranks for a second or so longer.
2. Way quieter, and that started to happen as soon as the new fuel got there. This can't be from just added lubricity. I suspect the bio is somewhat less volatile or explosive in the cylinder, reducing the knock sound common in diesels.
3. Seems to maybe have slightly less power under moderate acceleration, but not enough to be bothersome.

I bought a replacement fuel filter on the way home. I'll use it at the first sign of a performance problem, since bio is supposed to loosen up any accumulated crud in the fuel system.

I'll keep posting as I learn more; mileage effects, etc.

The price of the 99% bio here is Tucson is $2.729. That is $.47 cheaper than the $3.199 I see on most stations I go by. Thats' a bargain, I saved $12.69 on the fillup. You Tucsonians can get it at Arizona Petroleum Products, 1015 S. Cherry (520) 623-4721. They are open 6 to 6 5 days a week. NO; I have no financial interest in the place; he's a nice guy trying to help develop this new fuel source. Go help him do that.

Warren
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Warren FWIW I drove about 275 miles pulling my trailer with the B50 that I have in the tank right now. I brought a spare fuel filter just in case. I started the trip with about 5000 miles on the existing fuel filter.
On the morning that I needed to return home, I got paranoid of a clogged filter due to all the stories that we have heard about Bio-D clogging fuel filters and decided to change mine out to avoid trouble while pulling the trailer. I realized that the old filter would have gotten us home no trouble.
I like running the stuff too and in the future when it's time to fill, I'll choose the Bio over Petro if it's in the area and the weather is warm enough.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Posting Guru

qman is starting off with a positive reputation.
What does warm weather have to do with it?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Posting Guru

edub32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Viscosity. Bio will begin to "gel" up at a higher temperature then #2 will. That's why people like to run a mix of bio and #2 during the winter.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same walmart chemicals will keep that from happening as far as gelling. Warren ctane is higher on the bio and the reason she is quieter is because the fuel is burning all the way down the cylinder as apposed to the sparkknock feel. Burns all the way down, bring the power up.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:00 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
I wish bio was cheaper than straight #2 around here. I guess I'm lucky it's normally arounsd the same price.

Thread moved.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 11-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels