General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

High School Reunions Do you go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High School Reunions Do you go?

Hey guys my high school class reunion is coming up. Im in an honored class but Im probably not going eventhough I still live in the same hometown where I graduated. How about you guys do you go to yours or not. What was the experience like? Would you do it again or not?. BTW I still see most off my close friends because they still live in the same area I do so I really wouldnt miss to much. Thanks guys an gals.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
mightypan42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If my class ever has a reunion, I'd go. Like you, I still live in the same hometown, but all of my friends vanished

Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I missed my 20th Reunion and am real sorry I didn't go. You only get one chance to go, so go!

Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
probably not. they had a 10 year that I skipped cause I was too far away (1500 miles). I've moved 3000 miles since then but I'm still 1500 miles from them. There's no one I've kept up with and no one I like anyway so what would be the point?

Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
im not going, if i want to see these ppl i still do...

Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Well, this isn't as big a deal, but I recently had my 5 year high school reunion. I didn't understand it then, and I still don't. We're all broke, paying off college, and half of the class is in a job they hate. None of us is really very far from high school, and if anyone lived near home, it was still with mom and pop. Everyone is still the same, and it was actually kind of embarrassing. I whined the whole week before about how stupid it was going to be (and I'm not one of those 'too-cool-for-this' types) and no one listened. We got there, and it was dumb. We got 1 drink coupon to get a free Miller Light (4 years, $8,000/yr for high school, and you give me a Miller Light drink ticket?) and $50 to play video games. Read it as many times as you want, but yes, that does say "$50 to play video games". The administration even bailed on us after 10 minutes. We all left soon enough, and everyone split up into their old high school cliques. It was good to see old friends, and fun to see how the girls are looking, but I don't know if I'll ever make it back to another reunion...unless I actually get the beer, and not just the ticket for one. We'll see.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was really looking forward to my 25th reunion, in 2000. (the first one for our class). Unfortunately, it was a disaster. 1) I couldn't believe what stick-in-the-muds people had become. There's nothing you and I can do to stop from growing older, but we can prevent from growing old. There is a difference. 2) About 20 years ago, a murder took place near my home town, and the killer had the same name as mine. His picture was in the paper, and he didn't look anything like me. It didn't matter- everyone in my class just assumed it was me. That really hurt, because I did a lot for my class, and I knew everyone of them personally. They all knew I could never do anything like that, but they chose to believe believe the rumors. One of the drawbacks to growing up in a narrow-minded, redneck town.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't go to my 50th reunion, but I may attend the 75th. We could have it in a phone booth.
Dono

Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
mcope
Junior User
I never go to mine. Mostly becuase of the people that organize the reunions. I didn't like them in high school and don't see why I'd like them now. I see the people from HS that I care about often enough anyway.

Last edited by TigerDan; 11-14-2005 at 08:54 PM. Reason: edited derogatory reference
Old 11-14-2005, 01:27 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Havent had one yet, but my 10th should be in 08. I only talk to 5 or so kids i graduated with. I'll probably go just too see what happened to everyone

Old 11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Steve91
Senior User
My school hosts a reunion weekend every year, and every fifth year "your" class is a reunion class, and you are invited. I went to the 15th and 20th, skipped the 25th, and I expect to go to the 30th in June. The class was only 88 people, and I've only kept in contact with a few of them, but it's still a great time.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I went to my 25th and had a ball. First off, I hadn't seen most of 'em in over 20 years. When I said I left California and never looked back, I wasn't kidding. The location was an interesting choice. We all grew up in a pretty affluent area, but the reunion was held in the parish hall of a inner-city church in LA (one of our classmates was the Pastor). Pretty comical- wall-to-wall Lexus and Bimmers with parishioners guarding the parking lot. I found out a good percentage of our alumni attended and supported this church- which was kind of a surprise, somehow.

At any rate, it's fun to see how everyone turned out. There were some real success stories, and the usual number of divorces and disappointments, I'm sure. My high point was when someone asked me what I had driven down, and my answer was "the German luxury car I'd always dreamed of owning.....a VW Camper." We broke late, and attended mass the next morning- which was really a unique experience. I can only describe it as a cross between a black Baptist service and a Catholic mass, done in two languages.

I'd recommend going- seriously. Fun to check out that cute cheerleader you used to date, and see how she held up over the miles and years. Looked at Mrs. Bear and realized when things don't work out, there's often a good reason.

Last edited by polarbear; 11-14-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
I would think about going but my class is about as unorganized as you can get. They didn't have a 5 year but had a 6 year. No 10 year yet and we graduated 12 years ago. Th 6 year reunion was at a small bar. And besides that, half the people were stuck up and I don't really care seeing them. The only ones worth seeing are the ones I stay in contact with.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive lived in the So. Cal. all my life. Since I kept in touch with friends, never attended reunions until I was talked into going to the 30th. The gals that showed up looked pretty good for 48, the guys mostly fat and bald. At least half of us are divorced at least once. Baby boomers, what a generation. They hired a 20-something DJ who had none of "our" music. This was four years ago.

Someone else put on a 50th birthday party for our class two years later at a much better venue, with live music, for half the money, not in a stuffy hotel ballroom. That "reunion" was actually fun.

This last year the school turned 100 years old and there was an all-years reunion held during the day on campus, so we could bring parents, children and grandchildren. Going back and touring the campus this many years later was strange. It looks even more depressing with an extra 34 years of wear and tear. Not everyone likes school and I couldnt wait to get out of there, and I was an honor student.

Jim

Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

I went to my 45th reunion this past summer.

Quick Reply: High School Reunions Do you go?