Stock2Racing build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Ernie950
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock2Racing build

I have a 2000 F-150 5.4L Stock i'm currently add the following for more lowend and mid range tourqe 1/4 mile racing, atleast i hope im making the correct choices iv'e ordered "All still on Order maybe suggestion's can change my mind because im not sure this is wise way to put my money in it 4" Cold air intake with a KnN air filter 270/270 factory cam to a 268/274 compucam reason for this is because i was told from jeg's that its the longest duration cam i can use without having to change my Torque Converter and reprogram CPU, I wish i knew how much of a difference in the sound i'll get, I hope it sounds nonstock and feels faster or i'll be alittle upset for dropping this much money then having to wonder if it made a difference when i nail it. Also i've been thinking about changing the rearend ring and pinion and welding the gears for positive traction and a 3000stall Torque converter, i've already ran 3" duel exhaust to 2 flowmaster2Chamber mufflers Turned down before rearaxel and im undecided what cpu programer to get because if i can use that to set longer duration cams.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, welcome aboard.

Secondly, I'm no 5.4 expert but will toss in my $.02's. The cam should give you some seat of the pants feel, but it "might" sound a little crisper. Going to ring & pinion swaps will sacrifice the highway mileage, but it sounds like that doesn't matter to you. Double check what stall you have in the tranny now, I think the trucks come loaded with a little hiher than the cars anyway, I would venture to say it may even be close to your 3k now. There is no magic cure for performance and once you start spending, you need to keep spending to get the parts to play together correctly.

--Mike

Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have here. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. There are a number of links in my sig below to help you also. Have fun!