1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Brakes Brakes Brakes Ugh!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 05:23 PM
onion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Brakes Brakes Ugh!!!!!

Ok Last Week Some Of Ya Suggested Changesing Out The Vss Sensor. Well Still Ant Working Right Heres The Problems Again

While Going Down The Road I Apply The Brakes They Are Real Stiff Almost Not Give At All. The Speed Odm Jumps Like A Trapeez Artist As Well As The Tach. Also The Cruse Control Wont Work.

Now All Of This Happend At The Same Time All Of A Sudden.

What I Have Done So Far.--- Replaced The Vacumepump.
Vss Sensor
Checked The Fuses
Tried To Have The Codes Pulled. There Werent Any?
Took To Local Dealer They Said It Was The Abs Sensor? Same As Vss????

Come On Guys Rack Your Brains Here I Need Help. Im About To Wear Out My Emergince Brake

Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
MDB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have at least 2 separate problems. The stiff brakes are not related to your other problems. And I know you have replaced your vacuum pump, but it either isn't working or the vacuum brake booster is faulty. Or you have one or more bad connections somewhere in the vacuum line which is bleeding off the air faster then the vacuum pump can pump air. Connect a vacuum gage somewhere into the vacuum line system so that you can get an actual vacuum reading. If this is good it is possible that the check valve in the connection right where the vacuum line connects to the brake booster is stuck shut and not allowing the pump to create a vacuum inside the booster. If you can't get a good vacuum reading disconnect the vacuum line at the brake booster and close the end with your finger. If you can now get a good reading the diaphragm inside the booster is shot and the entire booster must be replaced.

I don't know about your other problems, though the Tach sounds like CPS or bad wire connection somewhere. If the truck runs ok otherwise, fix the brakes first as it is dangerous to drive it this way!

Old 11-13-2005, 08:24 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree with MDB about 2 problems and he right on the money about the vacum issues.

are there any codes in the computer. if your not sure get it scanned then you have a place to start. could be a bad connection as mentioned but considering the things that aren't working i would have thought VSS but since it been replaced it must be a connection.

no that i think about it is there a speed sensor on the tranny also. like the one on the tranny does speedo and cruise duties then the one on the rear end does abs duties.

which sensor did you replace?