Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Snow Tires

Old 11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow Tires

Well we had flurries the other day and I still have not got myself a pair of snow tires yet. Driving a two wheel drive pickup without snow tires through the winter is darn near impossible.
I was wondering what brand of snow tires some of you would recommend? Not this "all-season" non-sense but real snow tires.
I have had very good performance with TOYO, but that was on a small car. ( a Miata, what a blast!). I will stick to a standard LT235 75R15 tire size and want a tire with an aggressive tread pattern to give me good traction. I don't mind spending a few bucks because they will come off each spring and should last me a long time.

Also wondering how many of you weigh down the back of your truck for more traction. and what do you use, sand bags?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! (sorry, that was for Al)

Frank

Old 11-12-2005, 04:12 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my Snow Plowing Truck I had Traction King PLUS snow tires. They worked awesome. I NEVER got stuck while plowing. I also heard Cooper Discoverer M+S tires a really good (from the plow guys).

Also, check out this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/topic...r/wtirlise.htm

-Matt

Old 11-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Haven't looked yet...

Hercules (winner of song and story, Hercules)(come on Frank, where's that from?) brought out a 10 ply tire for the one tons (rear duallies) that is a direct spin-off of their transport truck tire design. They just don't squat under load. Very impressive.
I've seen lots of their tires on cars & figure they should have something good enough for my Ranger. I will be putting 4 snows on the original steel wheels & later, put good summers on the aluminums. This time I will not settle for just average winter tires. I'll have to do a fair bit of shopping around to make sure I get GOOD winter tires this time.
AL.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:35 PM
HeavyLifter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there an a/t but the goodyear wrangler a/t's are great in snow and last a long long time but are a bit costly.... whats good also it haveing your tires siped ( makes a world of difference)

Old 11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
snow tires...

i must say that even though i have not driven a half ton during the winter months here in ontario , my dad and brothher both have had very good luck with UNIWOBBLES (uniroyal) , the soft compounds have been very good on ice and the wear they get out of a good set of tires I would recommend them to almost anyone (even AL) . as far as weight in the back of the truck remember that what ever weight you add to the truck will also push you forward when you are trying to stop. i try to remember instead of just sand 1 or 2 bags of salt come in pretty handy, so would a rubbermaid folding shovel that you can put behind the seat.

chuck

Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Interesting replies. No two picked the same tire? I guess they're all pretty good. I have uniroyal A/T ( or similar) all seasons on the front and will put snows on the back. I will talk to my tire guy tomorrow if I can remember to throw my rims into the back of the truck. He was suggesting Hancook? Never used them but I'll take a look. I'll let you know what I decide.
Got to do my heater core tonight, not looking forward to it.

Al, I stopped watching that Saturday morning cartoon a long time ago. I couldn't stand that four legged goat boy Newton, "Hey, Herc. Hey Herc" Just once Herc should of told him to shut up, and slapped him silly. I guess I have unresolved issued from my youth! . (None of the youngins on this site will have a clue about what we are talking about!)

Frank

Last edited by Beast12; 11-14-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

On my 305 Ranger I just used Motomaster snowtires that came with one of my free Broncos. That was without any weight too. Decent in snow, but nasty on ice. I think I have some 30" M+S freebies kicking around somewhere that will end up on the 86 this winter when (if?) I ever get it together.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:57 PM
black wolf
Senior User
I was looking at some tires for my 4x4 for this winter but i will use the ones i have on for now. I need a good set for self cleaning in mud and snow for next year. Not sure if its going to be goodyear or what but you guys have some great ideas for good tires i see but i have to bargain for price. Dont forget to rotate your tires as they may give you a better battle in snow and such

Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
hancooks

if you must mix and match your front and rear tires , i would use the handjobs (hancooks) they are a very good tire in the snow , you cannot beat the tire for value , just get ready to use them for he next 2-3 winters , they are great

Old 11-20-2005, 02:58 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Well, my tire search is over.
I have been going to a Superior Tire place because of convenience, he is right next door to where I work. Dropping my truck off and walking to work has a great value to me. However, since this place changed management, the counter guy is , well, not too brite. I had a chat with him and told him that I wanted a good snow tire for my truck. We settled on Hancooks. This was on Tuesday, I left him my rims and said I'd like it done by the weekend. I showed up on Thursday morning and asked if they were done cuz I was taking Friday off. " No, I only got one tire in so far but I got you Yokohama's" Know, don't get me wrong, Yokohama makes a good tire, it's just that we agreed on Hancook. Then I find out the Yokohama were "all-season" not "SNOW" tires like I asked for. What a an idiot, I say thanks put the old tires and rims into my truck maybe we can do business when you pay more attention to your customers.
By now it's after 5pm. I jump on the hiway and head home. I thought I would try the Tire shop I used to go to before I started working next door to Superior. "Pickering Mag and Tire" (Brock and Bayly) always treated me well in the past it just was not as handy as having the guy next door do it. I pull up and the store hours say 8-6. I look at my watch, it's 7 minutes after six. I try the door and it's still open, the owner comes out and we joke about the time. I tell him what I need and he recommends the Hercules/Signet Winter Trax XL. He has more expensive tires in stock but tells me the Signet are better suited for a rear wheel drive truck, more bite in the snow.
15 minutes later I'm driving home with my new snows in the back of the truck!!
So now it can snow all it wants, I'm ready.

Now for the xmas lites......

Old 11-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
There's plenty of lights All Along The Watchtower Frank. At least according to Jimi and Ritchie. Just be carefull around there `cause I hear it's like the Four Walls Of Raiford & getting out is way harder than getting in.
AL.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:32 PM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
s

now tire choice is right on the money , i have a set of signet snow tires on the 1996 caravan that my wife is driving , last winter the van went out in all sorts of weather with my kids in it and never got stuck , for a off brand tire it gets good marks from me , sometime you have to wonder about the pros you think you are dealing with , he is the same guy the big canadian auto parts store hires that says 10w30 10w40 and 20w50 are all just litres of oil, if he can't cut it in tire sales , you could let him know he could always work for tims an get my morning coffee wrong!

chuck

Old 11-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Hercules isn't exactly an off brand of tire. Their main market is transport trucks, not cars.
Ask Dudgeon or Von Schkvarehead about the 10 plies on the back of their trucks. Darn good tires for 1 tons.
Now you know that "Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do) for a "Travelin' Band" trying to "Run Through The Jungle" asking the $64,000.00 question, "Who'll Stop The Rain"? before it becomes a "Hurricane" while driving on crappy tires.
AL.
Hi Frank.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Well I can now vouch for these snow tires. After last nites drive in the snow I am very pleased with the grip they have. In fact, fish tailing the truck now requires an intended effort. Kinda takes the fun out of winter driving but thats excactly what I wanted. Too old to be doin' donuts in the parking lot anyway!

Old 11-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Frank really doesn't want to play...

Doesn't like fishtailin', CCR or Dylan.
Poor Frank.
I looked at a few places in Scabro for the Signets & nobody had them, never mind 4 in my size.
Hey Frank.....Is your tire buddy open Sundays?
AL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow Tires