Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
New User

berwicktony is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question '01 Escape Shifting Linkage

Hi all. My wife has an '01 5-speed. THe Shifter has become pretty sloppy. With the lever in 1st, 3rd and 5th I feel like I can pull the shifter back towards me about two inches before the linkage pulls and I drop back into the neutral area. On the other hand, pulling down into 2nd, 4th, Rev. I feel like the thing is barely catching, (and sometimes a little grinding on engaging the clutch) . My question to all you guys in the know is : Is there any way of adjusting the cable in question, or is it just a case of it being worn and stretched and in need of replacement? Any advice or opinions would be welcome...thanks.

Last edited by berwicktony; 11-09-2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
New User

inspectorguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
No cable, hydraulic system, self-adjusting. Sounds like you just need to have the shifter linkage bushings replaced. Made a world of difference on mine. With an 01, you might even condsider replacing master and slave clutch cylinders just to be on the safe side. Hydraulic systems are subject to interior rusting as the hyraulic fluid [brake fluid] can hold moisture.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
New User

berwicktony is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for your observations, inspectorguy- the rig is actually going into the dealership tomorrow. I hope they square it away so I can let Wifey have it back. It's an OK rig for HER (bright yellow) but I'm looking forward to taking my Gr. Cherokee back.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
New User

cinbearcat is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 Manual Tran. Shifting Problem

My 01 has the exactly the same problem as you described. What was the solution?
thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Internet Brands

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 03-11-2006, 06:39 AM