Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2005, 07:05 PM
New User

shopsteward is starting off with a positive reputation.
1999 7.3 with P1280 & P1670 code

I just started have a problem with my Ford 1999 7.3 F-350. I was driving down the freeway and the engine just quit. While it was still moving, I turned the engine off and then on again and it seem to correct the problem. Then within a mile, it did it again. Again I turned the engine off and on again and it seemed to correct the problem. Sometimes it run fine and next it will just quit. Sometimes it will not want to start, but if I turn the key off then on again, it will start and run fine. The "service engine soon" light is now on. I have had the computer modified and the same instrument that installed the new program can also read engine codes. It noted a P1280 & P1670 code. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Shopsteward
Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Elder User

blueeyes2478 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say CPS camshaft postioning senser.But i might be wrong.

Angel

2003 f-350 CC dually
Boost,Volt autometer C2 gauges
Ford Aic
80 hp chip
viair 380c and 450c with 5 gallon tank,kong K1
warn hubs
Old 11-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
sounds to me like a Camshaft Position Sensor. search around this forum with CPS or CMP (acronyms for it) and see if you have any of the symptoms that are shown. that is my .02, ill let some others chime in.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Postmaster

Powerstrokedlariat has a good reputation on FTE.Powerstrokedlariat has a good reputation on FTE.Powerstrokedlariat has a good reputation on FTE.
Sure sounds like a CPS sensor to me. Your codes mean- P-1280= ICP circuit out of range
P-1670 EF signal not detected

Start with the CPS, probably fix everything
Old 11-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Elder User

4X4 IN REFUGIO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did You Say Camshaft Position Sensor !!!!!!!!!!
Ford Should Have Done A Recall On This And Replaced The Sensor With One That Doesn't Wear Out. Or They Should At Least Supply You With A Spare.
The Give You A Spare Tire.......i Think The Sensor Cost About As Much As The Tire Does!!!!!!!!
H&S XRT Pro
DPF Removed/Deleted
High Idle Mod
Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 AM
New User

Mike's Auto is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem with mine and the CPS was the first thing I thought of replacing. It's still doing the same thing and I was wondering if there is any other reason any of you guys would know about. URGENT!!! Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
New User

My son has the truck at this time. We are going to get a new CPS and see if that fixes the problem. If this resolves the problem, should the "check engine soon" light go out?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Senior User

Batgeek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hay Mikes Auto if you bought your CPS from autozone they may have sold you the wrong one. They have the same part # for every 7.3 powerstroke made. If you look through some of the other postings here they state the CPS is different depending upon the # on the engine. I know this all to well because they sold me the wrong one. An easy way to tell is if the CPS feels a little loose in the hole its the wrong one the right one will fit nice and snug.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome shopsteward & Mike's Auto to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 PM
New User

Batgeek, thanks for that reply to me...I bought the part at Carquest but maybe they did the same thing as Autozone did. I'll get right on that. Thanks.

Chris
Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM
New User

Talking It works!!!

Sweet!!! After buying two CPS 's from Carquest and them not working I got one from the Ford dealership and it works. I only wish I would have known what you knew earlier Batgeek. Thank you so much!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Senior User

Batgeek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey, I found out the hard way to. After I tried my first two I checked out this site and did some research and went back to the Zone. They had no idea what I was talking about, but gave me my money back no problem. They said that was just like Ford. I was lucky my truck was still covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. Three days with the wonderfuly talented Ford tech's and $100 she ran fine. Most of the chain auto parts stores have it wrong. I just know Ford's behind that somehow.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:51 PM
New User

Well, my son took the truck in to be checked and relaced the fuel pressure sensor. That seems to have solved the problem. No more "check engine light".

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior User

Wings is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopsteward
Well, my son took the truck in to be checked and relaced the fuel pressure sensor. That seems to have solved the problem. No more "check engine light".

Thanks for the responses.
Is the fuel pressure sensor and the injector pressure sensor (ICP) the same thing? Just couldn't find it on the electrical schematic.
Banks Trans Command
Isspro Guages
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
New User

It was an Injector Pressure Sensor.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
03, 06, 1280, 2003, 73, 73l, 99, code, f150, f250, f350, ford, p1280, p1670, powerstroke, problems, starter