1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Need some Fuel delivery help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:46 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some Fuel delivery help!

Hello all, i am usually on the 1999+ 7.3 forum, and i do not come here and post much. but i have some problems, i am hoping you guys can pull through and help like you always do.

we have a 1995 F-superduty dump truck, that is getting a complete make over. it went to my neighbor who owed us some money. we bartered, he sandblasted and painted the rusty body black. he got a buddy to do rubbing compound on the entire cab, it is just as shiney as when it left the dealer over 11 years ago. since then, it has been neglected to 11 seasons of plowing, snow and alot of salt. it IS a salt truck. my neighbor is doing a complete brake job in it also, new rotors, calipers, pads lines, etc. it has severly warped (bent) rotors, it kicked your foot off the pedal it was so bad. we also have a new set of manifolds for him to install (he is getting a exhaust shop buddy to do it) because they both leak and make a tap tap tap noise. i am sure we are losing alot of drive pressure here, becuase a huge cloud billows out under the hood and around the wheels when cranking on a cold start up.

anyway, it is my job to work on the engine when he gets it back. it is now a dog, it will not get out of it's own way. i was in second gear the other day, driving, i had to accelerate to get into traffic (unloaded) and i floored the pedal, it acted like a gas-powered chebby. it wouldnt accelerate. i know i shouldnt rocket out into traffic like my truck, but come on! it had an engine rebuild a while back, i am not sure what was done to it, as i was young and not competent at the time. however i do know it is my job to fix this. i am placing an order at www.fleetfilter.com, and i am getting alot of stuff. i have a 46637 air filter in the cart, i assume that will go on easily, i saw how one user here used a 45* 4'' pipe with some trimming. good idea. i am also replacing the fuel filter, it was probably never changed. (86K miles on it now) i have part 33517 in the cart too, it is the engine mounted filter i assume. i have heard that there is a frame-mounted one too, that needs to be replaced. if anyone can help me out with the part number, that would be great! i am also thinking about a 3'' downpipe and 3.5'' exhaust system. you cannot hear the turbo at all, i guess you probably can some, but not on top of that nasty exhaust leak. the turbo has been replaced 4-5 times, so i am almost positive the compressor wheel is one off of a newer model garrett with 10 even height blades (not the "wicked wheel")

i also heard that the Fuel Pump Regulator could be gummed up, causing the fuel delivery to be poor. i sure know that this thing DOES NOT run right. i am going to fuel first. i am looking at the FPR shim from dieselinnovations, that kwikkordead pointed me to the other day..

please help, any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by cookie88; 11-07-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:40 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The valley filter is the only one....just like yours. You have the correct # for the OBS filter.

Check some of the old posts here....you can shim the regulator for a whole lot less than what DI charges for the "kit".

Looks like you're on top of it....and you're still young

Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Oh yeah....every pre-99 turbo has the offset wheel like the WW. Only the 99+ have the one with even blades.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
am also replacing the fuel filter, it was probably never changed. (86K miles on it now) i have part 33517 in the cart too, !
wow man. you can shim the fpr with a bb from your red rider bb gun. once you do some maintenance and a few mods i think you will be surpirsed how much it will run like you truck. keep on keepin on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This site give the very simple step by step instructions on shimming the FPR. It is very easy all you need is a wrench, possibly some needle nose pliers. possibly a magnetic pick up, a BB, and 5 mins.

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

Note this is one very long page just keep scrolling the info you want is approx 1/2 way down

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 11-07-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:11 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
Oh yeah....every pre-99 turbo has the offset wheel like the WW. Only the 99+ have the one with even blades.
yes, but i do believe last time i looked in there to see, it was 10 even blades. this was before i was a member of FTE so i didnt really know what to look for. the turbo was replaced with a garrett re-manned one, the last time being 2002. maybe garrett put the 10 blade version in their re-manned turbos?

great idea about the BB's

Old 11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
yes, but i do believe last time i looked in there to see, it was 10 even blades. this was before i was a member of FTE so i didnt really know what to look for. the turbo was replaced with a garrett re-manned one, the last time being 2002. maybe garrett put the 10 blade version in their re-manned turbos?

great idea about the BB's
Maybe so. I don't have any experience with reman turbo's. It is not the correct wheel for that year model, but it's not hurting anything by being in there.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
i am going to fuel first. i am looking at the FPR shim from dieselinnovations, that kwikkordead pointed me to the other day..

please help, any help is greatly appreciated!
I thought that you were talking about your personal truck at the time. That particular part won't work on your '95.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:24 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
thanks kwik, i guess ill get one in the future, just for my truck. i am starting to take responsibility for our equipment, in a few years it will be mine, and i dont want to be running junk.

i just placed the order, it was like $66 including shipping for a 46637, a fuel filter for the '95, and a fuel filter for my 2002.