Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

460 vs 454

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:44 PM
65f100_352
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
All the young people drive them.
Not true I'm 19 and drive a Ford

Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 65f100_352
Not true I'm 19 and drive a Ford
I'm 19 also. When's your bday?

I'm talking about the newer trucks. Typically the trucks parents buy for their kids. Do you know how many single cab / short bed Silverado's I see lowered with 22'' rims with dumped Flowmasters!? Ha ha..

Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son is 19 and he just bought his first truck. New 2008 Chevy Colorado, with the 3.7 liter, 242 hp DOHC 5 cylinder , extended cab, 2 WD with locking axle, Z71 off road suspension and 265/75-15 tires.

He bought and is paying for it himself. He's a good kid, independent and thinks for himself, makes good decisions.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by less
My son is 19 and he just bought his first truck. New 2008 Chevy Colorado, with the 3.7 liter, 242 hp DOHC 5 cylinder , extended cab, 2 WD with locking axle, Z71 off road suspension and 265/75-15 tires.

He bought and is paying for it himself. He's a good kid, independent and thinks for himself, makes good decisions.
I must be missing something, but how does an inline-5 have DOHC's?
I wasn't bashing anyone for driving Chebbies. I can see how what I said could be taken wrong.
Congrats on having an independent son.

By the way, how come your son didn't just buy a 4x4? That's what it sounds like he wanted. He gets KUDO's for buying a pre-runner tho. My truck is just a 4x2 also.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
I am goign to say that the Rat is a better motor stock for stock. The 460's potential was never really taken advantage of. You had many HI po 454's but most of the 460's were smog motors. I like the 460 better when modded for sure though.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
less
Posting Guru

The engine is part of a modular series, all DOHC truck engines with 3 different displacements and cylinders. There is a 4.2 liter six with 291 hp, a 3.7 five cylinder with 242 hp and a 2.9 liter 4 cylinder with 190 hp. His engine has 4 valves per cylinder, 10 to 1 compression, but runs on regular gas.The idea is similar to the Ford OHC/DOHC modular system...where Ford has a 4.6 liter V8, 5.4 liter V8 and then Ford adds two cylinders and 2400cc to get the Ford 6.8 liter V10.

It makes sense...same parts-better for production, parts maintenance, just more cylinders configuration and you get more powerful or less powerful engines, depending on how many cylinders you use.

GM's Popular Midsize Trucks gets More Power - worldcarfans

I wasn't bashing anyone for driving Chebbies. I can see how what I said could be taken wrong. No Problem, I didn't see it as bashing at all.
Congrats on having an independent son. Thanks he's quite a kid. Wants to get into police...city or RCMP (Mounties).

By the way, how come your son didn't just buy a 4x4? That's what it sounds like he wanted. He gets KUDO's for buying a pre-runner tho. My truck is just a 4x2 also.
He had a budget and he kept to it, pretty good for a 19 year old. He wouldn't mind having a 4WD, but he wanted to keep to a budget, but he also liked the 2 WD Pre-Runner idea...Off Road suspension, big (265/75-15) on/off road tires,locking axle with additional electronic traction control-engine management that lowers rpm and activates brakes....I think the traction, ground clearance and on/off road tires will get him through the snow we get up here on the Canadian Prairies. Snow usually comes late October, leaves early April. We get big winters up here.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wasn't bashing anyone for driving Chebbies. I can see how what I said could be taken wrong.
Congrats on having an independent son.

What do you mean how does an Inline 5 have DOHC? Their Inline-5 is just their 4.2L Vortec Straight-6 with a cylinder lopped off.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:59 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by less
He had a budget and he kept to it, pretty good for a 19 year old. He wouldn't mind having a 4WD, but he wanted to keep to a budget, but he also liked the 2 WD Pre-Runner idea...Off Road suspension, big (265/75-15) on/off road tires,locking axle with additional electronic traction control-engine management that lowers rpm and activates brakes....I think the traction, ground clearance and on/off road tires will get him through the snow we get up here on the Canadian Prairies. Snow usually comes late October, leaves early April. We get big winters up here.
Okay I must not know what a DOHC system is. I'll research this.

I know you're very proud of your son. I would be too. A 2WD with a locker will go through some muck. His truck will have no problem handling mud / snow mild off roading. Especially since it's lighter than a full size truck. Your son basically bought what I would buy in a Ranger. Since you drive a Ford, how come your son bought a Chevrolet? Typically familes stick to one brand of vehicle I've noticed.
I don't know how you Canadians take the kind of cold you all get. It's still in the 70's here and when we get a cold front come through I think I'm going to freeze to death!

Originally Posted by Lead Head
What do you mean how does an Inline 5 have DOHC? Their Inline-5 is just their 4.2L Vortec Straight-6 with a cylinder lopped off.
I thought DOHC meant the motor has dual over-head camshafts. How can an inline-motor have two camshafts? I've seen an I5 and didn't notice anything odd about it. I just assumed it had a SOHC.

man I must be seriously confused.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver

I know you're very proud of your son. I would be too. A 2WD with a locker will go through some muck. His truck will have no problem handling mud / snow mild off roading. Especially since it's lighter than a full size truck. Your son basically bought what I would buy in a Ranger. Since you drive a Ford, how come your son bought a Chevrolet? Typically familes stick to one brand of vehicle I've noticed.
I don't know how you Canadians take the kind of cold you all get. It's still in the 70's here and when we get a cold front come through I think I'm going to freeze to death!

I thought DOHC meant the motor has dual over-head camshafts. How can an inline-motor have two camshafts? I've seen an I5 and didn't notice anything odd about it. I just assumed it had a SOHC.

SOHC means that there is 1 cam shaft over each head. DOHC means there is two camshafts over each head. So an inline engine would have 2 camshafts, a V-style engine would have 4. On DOHC engines, one camshaft drives the exhaust valves, the other drives the intake valves

Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lead Head
SOHC means that there is 1 cam shaft over each head. DOHC means there is two camshafts over each head. So an inline engine would have 2 camshafts, a V-style engine would have 4. On DOHC engines, one camshaft drives the exhaust valves, the other drives the intake valves
Thanks LeadHead. I looked it up and with what you said I'm still confused. I just found out when I looked it up that V8's actually have four camshafts. I thought they just had two (or one). I would need to see detailed pictures to actually peice this together in my head. Thanks for trying to explain it to me though!

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
less
Posting Guru

Bill here you go. Simulated DOHC engine in action.

YouTube - Catia V5 DOHC engine simulation

I know you're very proud of your son. I would be too. A 2WD with a locker will go through some muck. His truck will have no problem handling mud / snow mild off roading.At the most he will just do mild off roading. He and his buddies were in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, when younger and learned search and rescue techniques, part of which includes primitive camping in wilderness areas. He does a bit of this now. So they will probably drive on crown (provincial) roads into crown lands in non habited forested areas and then walk in a mile or so, do a bit of wilderness camping. Especially since it's lighter than a full size truck. Your son basically bought what I would buy in a Ranger. Since you drive a Ford, how come your son bought a Chevrolet? I don't have a Ford now, have had in the past, could well have one in the future.Typically familes stick to one brand of vehicle I've noticed. He liked the looks of the Chevy, although he also looked at the Ranger...both good trucks.
I don't know how you Canadians take the kind of cold you all get. It's still in the 70's here and when we get a cold front come through I think I'm going to freeze to death! You get used to it, dress for the weather, our houses are well built with lot's of insulation, we plug the engines in to maintain heat. I've lived in two prairie provinces and I love it here, couldn't live anywhere else. Love the winters...their beautiful. Lots of outdoor activities such as snowmobiling, ice racing (cars/bikes), curling, hockey, skiing, ice fishing.

Summers are from May to September, , temp in the 60's 70's, '80's sometimes 100 +
. Weather much like Northern Minnesota, Dakotas, Wisconsin, Montana.

One cam operates the two intake valves, the other cam operates the two exhaust valves.Makes the engine more efficient at high revs, although his engine also has variable valve timing, which means he gets strong torque at low, mid and high rpm. Four valves per cylinder with a high compression ratio of 10 to 1. Quite a modern engine, apparently this design won some awards for good engineering design when it first came out, although I don't know what awards.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Thanks LeadHead. I looked it up and with what you said I'm still confused. I just found out when I looked it up that V8's actually have four camshafts. I thought they just had two (or one). I would need to see detailed pictures to actually peice this together in my head. Thanks for trying to explain it to me though!

Sorry for the hijack.
Pushrod V8 engines have a single camshaft within the engine block. It uses a system of pushrods and rockerarms to actuate the valves.

Single Over Head Cam V8 engines have a camshaft above each cylinder head. They usually use rockers between the camshaft and the valves.

Dual Over Head Cam V8 engines have two camshafts above each cylinder head. In these engines, the cam shaft usually directly presses against each valve.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 AM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 460 has the heavier rotating mass. Both rods (2.5") and mains (3") which obviously make more friction becuase of more area. This is the reason I believe the 2.2" (chevy size) is used in aftermarket 460 cranks (if there is another reason please bring it to my attention please). As to whomever mentioned the 460 relies/uses on the cleveland or 335series oiling system, how so, when the 460/429 came out in 1968 when the first 335 series engine came in 1970 (351C) and the second displacement (400) in 1971 & so on. So really the 335 series fed off the deisgns of the 385 series family (370 - 429 - 460). The aftermarket availability for Chebby is greater since its the popular mill (like mentioned prior to my post) there fore the cost is cheaper, if it were the other way around the Ford would be cheaper. There are NO BBF's, that is if you want to get technical. The heads for the 460s 429s did not flow too well compared to the huge chevy heads on their big blocks. But with work done and a few bucks spent, you will have a great contending 385 series engine that can stomp on the bowtie babies. I am sure if MonsterBaby can fill in more on the advantages of the 460s etc. As could a few others that have asnwered my past questions on the big daddy 460 I have also heard that the 460 doesn't stop if it were to get hot in demo derbies like chevys do. If you want a reliable high CID get a 460 and not a BBC that will melt under the high heat like their smallblock. This makes me want to start documenting my cousins BBC on how its designed. He thinks his will be a wicked tire burning bowtie but I doubt that when I roll my 385 series up next to him mwahahahahaha.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 385seriesHemi
The 460 has the heavier rotating mass. Both rods (2.5") and mains (3") which obviously make more friction becuase of more area. This is the reason I believe the 2.2" (chevy size) is used in aftermarket 460 cranks (if there is another reason please bring it to my attention please). As to whomever mentioned the 460 relies/uses on the cleveland or 335series oiling system, how so, when the 460/429 came out in 1968 when the first 335 series engine came in 1970 (351C) and the second displacement (400) in 1971 & so on. So really the 335 series fed off the deisgns of the 385 series family (370 - 429 - 460). The aftermarket availability for Chebby is greater since its the popular mill (like mentioned prior to my post) there fore the cost is cheaper, if it were the other way around the Ford would be cheaper. There are NO BBF's, that is if you want to get technical. The heads for the 460s 429s did not flow too well compared to the huge chevy heads on their big blocks. But with work done and a few bucks spent, you will have a great contending 385 series engine that can stomp on the bowtie babies. I am sure if MonsterBaby can fill in more on the advantages of the 460s etc. As could a few others that have asnwered my past questions on the big daddy 460 I have also heard that the 460 doesn't stop if it were to get hot in demo derbies like chevys do. If you want a reliable high CID get a 460 and not a BBC that will melt under the high heat like their smallblock. This makes me want to start documenting my cousins BBC on how its designed. He thinks his will be a wicked tire burning bowtie but I doubt that when I roll my 385 series up next to him mwahahahahaha.
That's the reason I was told as to why Chevy-sized bearings are sometimes used in 460 race engines. 335's and 385's use the same oiling system (mains and rods fed through cam journals), but you are right, the 385 came out well before the 335 did. Both throw off a lot of heat, but the 385 only has 10 head bolts per side, compared to the BBC's 16. If you really get one hot, the Ford will usually blow a head gasket before the Chevy will. I have seen more cracked 385 heads over the years than BBC's, but that's not a common occurance.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey yall

I still think that fords even today are the toughest and least likey to leave me stranded on the side of the road, but imho i think the last two generations of f series are quite ugly and the chevies are what i like stylewise and i cant drive somethin that i dont care for the looks of. maybe ill get a dodge so i aint gotta stoop to the levil of buyin a chevy.

Quick Reply: 460 vs 454