Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cold weather embrassment

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:02 PM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Cold weather embrassment

Will try to be as brief as possible. Had the 03 PSD high in the mountains where we were snowmobiling. Came back to the parking lot where it had snowed the truck and trailer in with about 15inches of wet snow. Started it as soon as I got there so it could warm up. Got the sleds loaded and tried to move out of the lot and it was obvious the waste gate was still closed as it had no power (needed more warm up time). After a few more minutes, things came to life and we were able to move. The embrassment part now comes in. Had a Duramax owner with me and and he let it be known that this woudn't have happened if a General Motors product was in this same situation.

Is there any way to unhook or keep the gate open when I have the Dura crap owner with me the next time? Would sure like to avoid this again and if something can be done, I'd only do it while he was around. Once we got back home, I'd put it back like it's supposed to be. I'll wait for your reply...thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll assume you mean the exhaust backpressure valve and not the wastegate since the wastegate doesn't have anything to do with it.

At any rate, the answer is Yes. The EBV plug is at the base of the turbo pedestal in front of the turbo. It has a smile wire retaining clip. Just pop the clip and unplug the harness...no more EBV.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:17 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can unplug it.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Next time your D-max buddy messes with you, ask him how many times he has to pump the primer to get it started after he changes the fuel filter.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:40 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
EBPV disable switch! By spicing into the ground lead. You may shreek at the thought of cutting into the EBPV harness near the connector but it works. If you take your time and use a little wire loom it will look great. Kwik has a good write up on it. I did mine a little different with a relay.With the switch "on" it works normaly and with it "off" it's disabled. Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:03 PM
trakman
Elder User
Ok, thanks alot fellas. So you say it's the EBPV that needs to be unhooked....won't damage the PSD by doing this, will it? I'll look tomorrow for this plug. If I don't know what I'm looking for, anybody got a picture of this gadget? Thanks and I'll ask the Dura Crap owner next time I see him just how hard it is to get it primed and up and running when he changes filters! Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by trakman
Ok, thanks alot fellas. So you say it's the EBPV that needs to be unhooked....won't damage the PSD by doing this, will it? I'll look tomorrow for this plug. If I don't know what I'm looking for, anybody got a picture of this gadget? Thanks and I'll ask the Dura Crap owner next time I see him just how hard it is to get it primed and up and running when he changes filters! Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:12 PM
trakman
Elder User
Boy that was quick....now I know why they call you "Kwik" Thanks a whole bunch! Just want to be sure I don't damage my baby so just for this Duramax encounter, it will be ok????

Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Mine is completly disconnected from computer control and converted for use as an exhaust brake. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM
trakman
Elder User
OK...thanks again and looks like I'll not be embarassed anymore. Just wished I'd known this before hand....this D-Max owner is sooo devoted to GM that I think he wears GM shorts! LOL

Old 11-06-2005, 08:23 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
This thread got me thinking...

I have a bully dog 6 position chip, one position is a high idle. When on it sets the idle at 1,250 rpm's.

I also have a black cloud exhaust brake that uses the factory ebpv.

Do you folks think it would hurt anything to have the exhaust brake activated while the high idle is flipped on? (over ride it) I know the truck will do this itself around 900 rpm's, but it kicks off after a couple minutes.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by vancouverpower
This thread got me thinking...

I have a bully dog 6 position chip, one position is a high idle. When on it sets the idle at 1,250 rpm's.

I also have a black cloud exhaust brake that uses the factory ebpv.

Do you folks think it would hurt anything to have the exhaust brake activated while the high idle is flipped on? (over ride it) I know the truck will do this itself around 900 rpm's, but it kicks off after a couple minutes.
Flip on the high idle and activate the brake, see what happens. On cold winter mornings when my high idle kicks on, I activate the factory EBPV brake. The EGT's climb a little to about 300-350, never higher.
I don't know what the reaction would be in the summer.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:56 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by trakman
Thanks and I'll ask the Dura Crap owner next time I see him just how hard it is to get it primed and up and running when he changes filters!
I had one guy tell me hre has to pump it 20-30 times to get it to run after a filter. Another guy with some sort of injector leak has to pop the hood and prime it manually every time!!!

It's amazing to me that as advanced as the fuel delivery system is on those things it doesn't have an electric pump. Guess I'm just spoiled by turn the key priming.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:03 AM
trakman
Elder User
Have another question....the EBPV just holds back exhaust to speed warm-up, right? If so, what does the waste-gate do then? Kinda new to these technical things.....I just turn the key and go and everything works.(with the exception of my D-max encounter, should have taken longer to load the snowmobiles or should have been the first one back to the parking lot. LOL)

Have a remote start on this one, just need about a 2 mile activation range.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
The waste gate reduces ( or more accurately controls) the amount of boost a turbocharger can generate.

The waste gate is generally a diaphragm in communication with the intake. When the intake pressure exceeds a predetermined rating the diaphrams moves allowing engine exhaust to bypass the turbine thus causing it to slow down which in turn drops boost pressure.

Hope this answers your question.

Reg

Last edited by afinepoint; 11-07-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold weather embrassment