1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Help decoding door sticker, 250LD confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Boznian
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help decoding door sticker, 250LD confusion

Sorry to post again so soon (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...-t_426536.html) but I need help quickly to determine if this is the truck for me. Don't want it to slip away if it's the one I want! Planning to put a plow on it and also a slide-in camper. (not at the same time of course)

I went to the decoder page here on the forum but it seems that many of the codes on this sticker are not in the decoder, and I just got more confused.

Here is what I know: 1999 F250 LD Lariat Ext. Cab; 4 door; payload pkg #1 @7,200 lbs.; factory tow pkg.; 5.4L V8
Since I can't post an attachment, here is a link to a picture of the sticker:
http://www.pbase.com/markboswell/image/51818332.jpg

Here are my specific questions:

1) What rear ratio does this truck have - 3.31, 3.73, other?
2) Is it an 8" or 10" rear end?
3) Is it limited slip?
4) Seems to have the E4OD tranny and there seem to be mixed opinons here on the forum between this one and the 4R70W. Will the E4OD stand up to plowing and hauling?
5) It seems that the only thing this truck lacks from the "Snow Plow Prep pkg" is the heavier rated front axle, correct?
6) If I put a pair of spring helpers (like Timbren load booster) on the front would that pretty much get me to where I need to be for light/medium duty plowing?
7) Will a plow that is made for a 150 fit a 250LD or is the frame significantly different? (There is a used 150 plow kit available locally at a reasonable price.)
8) Is this a "PI" vehicle? (mfd. 08 of 99, they all were by then, right?)

I have spent hours searching and researching the forum to try to grasp this info but it seems like '99 LD's were kind of put together a little hodge-podge from the factory - they are all a little different! Sorry for so many questions from a newbie but I need someone more knowledgable than me to figure this out.

Thanks

(BTW - I have not yet seen this vehicle, it is many hours drive away from me - the pic came from the owner.)

Last edited by Boznian; 11-05-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 PM
4.6Ranger
Senior User
sticker decode

A full vin number would help if you can get it. The picture has the las 5 digits
blacked out.

heres what i have so far

Axle is a 3.73 limited slip. Trans is a four speed automatic overdrive 4R100
It is leather with caption chairs. Interier color is medium prairie tan.
exterier color is deep chystal blue upper and medium dark woodrose lower.\
Electronic premium am/fm stereo with cassette.

Last edited by 4.6Ranger; 11-05-2005 at 05:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Boznian
New User
Thanks, that helps. So many questions! If anybody can help with #5, 6, 7, 8 that would really make my day.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Mark,

The truck is a 99 F250 LD 4x4 supercab, 5.4 2V gas, E4OD, 3.73LS (duh)

All 250LD's and 7700's have 10.25" Sterling (Visteon) rear ends and the 4x4's have the corporate 8.8" front ends just like the regular duty F150's of this vintage.

The E4OD/4R100 is the stouter automatic of the two offered, but a 4R70W will do just fine... I have a bias towards the lighter duty tranny as my 7700 came with the 4R70W.

The frame between the F150 and F250LD differs in it's thickness, the over box construction is the same, the 250LD's frame is stiffer because of the thicker cross section and a few more cross members. How thick? Well, LK (one of our members), actually found that the wall thickness is a whopping 0.011" thicker. If they make plow mounts to bolt up on the interior of the box of the frame, it may be snug, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit. Just make sure you can return the plow if it doesn't fit.

My 7700 has a manufacture date of 10/99, but the engine was manufactured in 9/99... the '99 truck should have PI heads/intake, but you should always check for that casting mark. What seems peculiar to me is generally the manufacturer stops producing vehicles for a model year in July/August... so this must be one of the last 250LD's ever produced.

7200lb GVWR (so it's not plow rated)
The 3660lb front axle is based on a combination of items, but the biggest factor is the spring rate and tires/wheels. You'll need to find a truck with the tell-tale 7700lb GVWR and 4150lb front rating for it to be snow-plow rated. Another item I noticed was the factory air pressure rating. The sticker lists the front at 45 lbs and the rear at 60lbs. My truck has a 50lb front air pressure, not sure why that is, must have something to do with the 4150 rating as well. Also looking at the rear end rating and noticed my truck has a 4800lb rating and the '99 has a 4300lb rating. This truck is the lightest duty(???) 4x4 F250LD they offered in '99... definitely not plow rated.

Since the vehicle is not under a warranty (I'm assuming) you could try a helper set, but to ensure you get factory correct ride and stability, you could always try to locate a pair of the 4150lb springs and tortion bars. This is where I'm going to have to back off and say you're on your own, as I don't know if the tortion bars are a straight replacement for the 3660lb bars or if other parts are required above the springs and bars. I'm also unsure if anyone makes a helper spring set up for the short/long arm independent front suspension. Upgrades aren't going to come cheap to set the truck up properly.

The slide-in camper would have to be small, as the truck is not slide-in certified and would need modifications. While the payload capacity is large when it's just you and the truck is empty, it's drops quickly as you add things.
You'll be hard pressed to find a camper in the ballpark of 700lbs dry. Why only 700lbs? you've got to figure in all the items, liquids, and other stuff that you'll need to support that camper (water, LPG + tanks, food - ice , camping equipment...so add another 1000lbs for that (yes, 1000lbs... water weighs quite a bit by itself), as well as the weight of the modifications for the truck to handle the slide-in (tie-downs, helper suspension components, a brake upgrade) possibly another 100+ pounds. All total you're looking at 1800lbs (if you find the camper). Then include items that you wouldn't normally pack into the truck, such as a repair kit, passengers, there equipment....et al. Anyway, what it boils down to is you've grossly exceeded the GVWR of the truck when it was stock, and greatly exceeded any improvement the helper suspension and brake upgrade may have given you... not something I'm comfortable with recommending.

Going the route of trying to improve the LD to handle the plow and a slide-in just put you in the ball park of a Heavy Duty or Super Duty.

So, my suggestion is pick a goal and buy a truck to fit that goal. You want a plow vehicle... a snowplow prepped 250LD or 7700 will work, you want to be able to add a slide in... go with a Heavy Duty or Super Duty with the snow-plow prep and slide-in certification. I know these are available, but you could be searching for a while if you strictly want used.

Hope that helps you. Sorry if I dissappointed you.

-Kerry

Old 11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Boznian
New User
Thanks for your lengthy and informative reply! I am beginning to wonder if there are any '99 250's with the 7700# rating. I have had 6 (yes six!) door tag pictures sent to me today and they are all the 7200# variety. The only difference in any is the brake code, which is a "B" on the non-lariat's ("C" on the lariats). I am assuming that C is the larger brakes due to towing pkg?

Anyway, I'll keep looking...

Old 11-08-2005, 10:49 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Mark,

The brk codes are as follows:

"C" is four wheel anti-lock
"B" is four wheel anti-lock
I'm thinking the difference is between drums and discs in the rear. The 4 wheel antilock braking system outside of that is the same. The rear sensor is located in the differential, not at the discs. In this case the truck utilizes the same size front pads, rotor, & master cylinder whether it has XL, XLT, or Lariat trim and whether it is a 7200 or 7700 GVWR.

It's the "P" in the VIN that gives us the brake class as 7001-8000 lbs hydraulic actuated with airbags (that's the supplemental restraining device, not the suspension).

Remember the snow-plow prep was only an option on the 4x4 250LD's, it came standard on the 4x4 7700's... otherwise they'd be 7200's, with an option for 7700. Maybe you should look for the 2000 7700 models, we know they have the plow prep-package.

-Kerry

Old 11-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Boznian
New User
Well I spent half the day driving yesterday to have a look at the first candidate - what a giant piece of junk. Totally scratched up on the outside, holes in the leather, missing/broken ***** and switches, bad tires and both outside mirrors totally shot - no silver left at all. Most of all, NO TOW PKG! Just a bumper hitch and after-market 5 pin wiring harness.

The hunt continues...