Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Senior User

Paclik is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo Overboost

2004, F-350, 6.0, Auto CC
What causes Turbo Overboost? I can't keep CAC hose on even with baleing wire tied all over the engine. The CAC hose even blows off on level road no load light throttle. Cleaning is not the problem, it is overboost. I am taking it in and want to know why before I get the it's normal BS from dealer.
Also oil is way overfilled with diesel fuel, I used the "TSB" method, dipstick in to the bottom lip of the handle, still 1/4" above the top of the plastic portion on the steel rod. Also this 2004 truck is one with the 2003 engine.
Thanks for advise in advance.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Elder User

SoCalSuperDuty03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SoCalSuperDuty03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you have a boost gauge so you in fact know it has a boost problem? If it is indeed a boost problem, you may have an issue with the Variable Vane Turbo. I have seen a couple apart at the dealer with stuck turbo vanes, one that made 33 lbs. of boost... at idle!

Tim
05/12, '03, 05/07 6.0, Torqshift, CC, SB, 4WD, FX4 Sport, Sonic Blue/Grey, 8" Edge lift, six Foxes, Fox damper, 38x15.50x18 Toyo M/T's, Weld Renegades, Detroit Locker, 4.30's, Mag-Hytecs, ARP's, Hypermax HG's, Fluidamper, Spearco IC, MBRP 304, Trans; Converter and SCT tuning by John Wood, Custom Trac Bars, Onboard Air, AMP steps.... lots more
Old 11-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior User

Tim,
No gauges. The last time it blew off, I had the turbo side of the blue hose clamped and wired to hold it in place. It stills eventually blows but I could go a while between blowoff's. Anyway the last time because the turbo side couldn't let go the outer clamp blew, this was the first time for the outer clamp. I left the truck running and opened the hood, I just tried to see if I could hold the metal cac pipe in the blue hose, no chance. I am a plumber, so very experienced with water and air pressure issues and I would guess the air pressure was at least 30 psi at idle.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Posting Guru

jackofalltrades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm not sure these turbos will get 30psi at idle... Even if it is malfunctioning.

PSD_6.0_FX4 might be able to confirm that. But, if it can, I'd figure there's other things that you would be experiencing. As in... INCREDIBLE throttle response at low RPM. And extremely terrible fuel economy.

I'd bet that there's a grove/rib/catch somewhere that's worn enough that allows the tubes to separate more easily.

So, from what I've read/learned, if the vanes in the turbo are sticking, then you could have an over boost condition. I'm sure there are several other electronic/computer controled reasons that could cause an over boost condition, but the only way you're going to know is to install some good gauges.

Nope, I won't disagree with you. These trucks should have come with better instrumentation so you'd know. But they don't. I added mine within a couple months of having the truck.

Has your truck been in for the CAC tube recall? What year is it? I hope your dealership gets it all squared away. I finally got bit by the EGR. Disconnected the thing a few weeks ago. All runs fine without. Still, I love this truck.

-Steve
Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 PM
FTE *******

SpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to all
These turbos even when fully closed will only build about 1.5-2 pounds of boost at idle.

As Steve stated, take the truck in for the latest CAC hose recall. If it's already been in, take it again. It's either a crappy hose or the vanes on the turbo are stuck partially closed.

If all else fails, the rubber grommets used in leather for shoelace holes and some good self-tapping sheet metal screws will do the job
Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Senior User

Turbo Overboost

Thanks,
I was going to install gauges at new, but have had so many problems with this truck didn't want to dump money into a lemon "2nd in a row". A Ford diesel tech told me he has seen at idle, 33 psi on a faulty turbo. I did consider the self taping screw method, but then warranty? I think the overboost has caused damage to the heads/gaskets and blows coolant out the overflow bottle. Also diesel fuel diluted oil. I used the "TSB" method of checking for overfilled oil and it is 1/4" up on the steel portion of the dipstick. 5,000 miles since last oil change. I only had 14 quarts put in at last oil change. Was told by a Ford engineer, they consider it normal to get 1 quart of diesel fuel in the oil between oil changes.
Back to the overboost issue, this was the first time I left the truck running after blowoff. I crawled up on the engine and noticed this time the outer clamp has failed. The turbo was blowing a lot of air. I decided to try and see if I could loosen the clamp and just try to push the metal end into the blue hose. No way, too much pressure. I am taking it in but need some info. The last time I took the truck in August, the Service Manager told me they were so backed up with Diesel work the two Diesel tech's told the SM no more for 2 1/2 weeks.
Jim
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Posting Guru

Sorry to hear that you live in the 'People's Republic of Kaliphornia'...

Also sorry to hear that your dealership has a backlog of more than two weeks for any service. Let alone Diesel repairs. That's absurd. And is a clear sign of business mismanagement. Next day service is the worst I'd ever expect for a warranty claim. If you can't get it in sooner, then you might try calling Ford Customer Care. I've read that they can be very helpful. (Squeaky wheel gets the oil...)

If you will, Explain "so many problems with this truck".

-Steve

Just an FYI... With my 04', I've seen my boost gauge hit 30psi countless times. Some times on moutain passes towing, It's stayed there for a few miles at a time. Never had a CAC tube blow off. Truck was never recalled, but came from the factory with the metal tube on the pressure side. Still, any time I change the engine oil, I put a socket on those clamps to make sure things are tight.

Last edited by jackofalltrades; 11-07-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Elder User

F250Wheels is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wounder if the intercooler could be pluged.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Posting Guru

It's called a "Charge Air Cooler"

And plugged with what?

-Steve
Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Elder User

AFTER COOLER, INTERCOOLER, CHARGE AIR COOLER, All the same, just depends on who your talking to.
And maybe plugged with oil/dirt.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Posting Guru

Daryl Hunter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd have a hard time believing that a turbo on this truck would make 30 lb of boost at idle regardless of turbo vane configuration.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Elder User

If we could make that kind of boost at idle we wouldn't have any turbo lag.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Senior User

Guys,
I don't believe the Turbo is consistantly creating overboost. I have had a 30' houseboat behind the truck and ran fine. I put a 16' quad trailer behind it and it sometimes runs fine. Lately it blows off even on level road, hardly any throttle. When it blows it sounds like an explosion under the hood. Again this last time I wanted to see if there was a restriction downstream or Turbo was creating excess boost. Again at idle it was impossible to slide the blue hose over the turbo pipe, like trying to get a cap on a fire hydrant, YIKES. I have the newer metal cac pipe and clamps. The dealer said Vin # is not in recall group, but is doing the same thing as recall. I don't know if I mentioned this is a 2004 F-350 6.0L with a 2003 Model engine. Sept 12, 2003 engine build date. As for the backup in the service department, it is a pretty large Ford Dealership with 2 Diesel Techs. To be fair to the Service Department I have a long list of problems.
Turbo overboost
Oil leak rear main
Unexpected High Speed Downshifts rear tires lock up at times
Clunk starting out in transmission and when coming to stop
"ABS" brake light comes on and violent shimmy, not all the time or after any brake use
Coolant Puke probably due to Head/Head Gasket failure
Lousy Mileage at times empty freeyway 65 mph 12-14
Great Mileage at times empty freeyway 75 mph 22-23
Idle Surge
Engine Cuts out, Bucks and Jerks
Oil level is about 1-1/2" to 2" overfilled with 4,500 miles since oil change. Put 14 quarts in instead of 15 quarts.

Maybe the Diesel Tech said "YIKES ...I'm on vacation..."
Old 11-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Senior User

gameboynws is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 04 cc dually started blowing off the hot side turbo pipe just after they did that 05E15 recall where they replaced the EGR and reprogramed just about everything. The tech later found a TSB that had a newly redesigned hot side turbo pipe, and it hasn't blown off since.

my truck is stock, no gauges and pulls a upto 24k lbs gcw.
08 F350 6.4L
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Senior User

gameboynws,
My truck has the newer metal pipe and clamps. It isn't an issue with crummy clamps, it is a problem with the Turbo. Or whatever component is causing the Turbo to malfunction. I also have had a history of really bad "Turbo Farts" especially after 3 Ford engineers reprogrammed my truck last March. I think the reason for so many problems with my truck may be trying to make this 2003 work in a 2004 truck. I would be curious to see how many early 04 trucks with the 03 engines have some of the multi problems that I have.
My truck is a F-350, 6.0L, CC, Auto, Lariet, Camper Pkg, Towing Pkg, loaded. It is totally stock. When new it ran perfectly, I don't know why anyone would want to boost for more power, mine didn't need it, and I would be concerned about the drive train being overstressed. I have always kept my trucks since 1959 for at least 10 years. Except the 2001 F-350, 7.3L, it was also a Lemon, but only one problem that Ford couldn't fix, it would just start cutting out and die, after "Dealer tradeback" it took them a month to finally figure out what the problem was. The sold it to a guy and according to the Salesman the new owner loves the truck.
Thanks, Jim
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2004, 2006, 60, 60l, aftercooler, cooling, f250, f350, ford, load, overboost, powerstroke, system, turbo