Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front End Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Front End Shimmy

I have 2003 F250 PSD Crew Cab 2WD, and have been getting a front end shimmy. Well I jacked it up and the idler arm comes out of the steering box and connects to an arm that goes to the passenger side of the truck that connects to the tie rod end. What is that arm called? The fitting/knuckel on the end that connects to the idler arm is TOAST looks like the rubber boot got a tear in it and let who knows what get in there and destroy that fitting so I need to replace that arm. Looks expensive Is it a ford only item? What is that arm called so I dont sound like a complete idiot when I call them to get a price? Am I going to need any special tools to spread the fittings or can I just loosen the castle nut and bang the crap out of it to break them apart? Farther down that same rod is another arm that goes to the drivers side tie rod end, that fitting/knuckle is still ok. How can I get that knuckle out of that same rod without destroying it or will it be a casualty too??

Old 11-01-2005, 08:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is from www.ford-parts.com - i believe you need part 4, that is called the "center-link". they retail it for $48.15. "YOUR PRICE" is $35.39

Last edited by PowerstrokeJunkie; 11-01-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:52 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Strokin it- thanks for the link the setup you show is for a 4x4 mine is a 2wd I went to the link and they dont show a pic of a 2wd system.. Do you think it could be called the drag link?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
i think they call the drag link what we call the "panhard bar/rod" IE the bar that connects the axle to the frame to prevent lateral movement. i am not familiar with a 2wd front end so i am not sure here. how is the diagram different from what you have?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Do you know if it takes any special spreader forks to get it apart??

Old 11-01-2005, 09:00 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
ever hear of a "pickle fork"? (ball joint seperator)

Old 11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Oh yeah I have a pickle fork that i used on an old truck of mine about 10 years ago. I hope it does not destroy the rubber around the knuckels that I need to separate. on my truck it looks like the #2 item gues into the#4 item to turn the drivers side wheel. The left most #4 item in the picture woud be my tie rod end like the #1 item on the right side of the pic. now hows that for confusing!!

Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The panhard bar is sometimes called a track bar, or track arm. It's the rod that centers the axle under the frame. It has no part in the steering of the truck.

The rod between the pitman arm and the tie rod is the drag link. You probably won't need a pickle fork to seperate it, just shock the pitman arm and the tie rod a little bit with a rubber mallet and they'll normally pop right off.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use a large ball peen hammer to "shock" them loose. you usually have to hit them pretty hard.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Take the castle nut and put it back on upside down so that the bottom of the nut is even with the top of the threads. The castle will be pointing down toward the area that the tie rod end is seated in. Make sure there is space between the castle and the shoulder of the female part. You now have a nice surface for pounding on with a large hammer to shock it loose without deforming the threads. Once it's loose remove the nut and the assembly falls out. Using this technique completly removes any threat of damaging the rubber boot on a ball joint or tie rod end that you plan on keeping.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:29 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Thanks for the replies guys I thought ya'll forgot about me!!! ha-ha. Called my local steelership yesterday and thew faxed me a diagram of the front end steering components. The arm is called the Drag Link. I am going to pick up the link friday afternoon and do the install that afternoon also. I thought the rubber had a tear in it but upon closer inspection there was no tear, kinda disappointing, it wore out so bad that arm moves up and down with 1/2" slop. I grease it every oil change the last one being 2700 miles ago and never noticed it being loose untill the shimmy started. I only have 60000 on the clock hope I dont have to replace it every 60000. Can you say I quit driving it when I noticed that!!!! Oh well while i'm working up ther I probably need to replace the Shocks too, and suggestions on those for a 2wd truck I have read alot of posts about Bilsteins and Ranchos are those overkill for a 2wd truck?? Should I start another post for suggestions for 2wd shocks??

Old 11-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by RedBoat
Thanks for the replies guys I thought ya'll forgot about me!!! ha-ha. Called my local steelership yesterday and thew faxed me a diagram of the front end steering components. The arm is called the Drag Link. I am going to pick up the link friday afternoon and do the install that afternoon also. I thought the rubber had a tear in it but upon closer inspection there was no tear, kinda disappointing, it wore out so bad that arm moves up and down with 1/2" slop. I grease it every oil change the last one being 2700 miles ago and never noticed it being loose untill the shimmy started. I only have 60000 on the clock hope I dont have to replace it every 60000. Can you say I quit driving it when I noticed that!!!! Oh well while i'm working up ther I probably need to replace the Shocks too, and suggestions on those for a 2wd truck I have read alot of posts about Bilsteins and Ranchos are those overkill for a 2wd truck?? Should I start another post for suggestions for 2wd shocks??
You are very fortunate to have found that before it broke. You would have completly lost control of the steering.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:36 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Trust me on this...a total loss of steering on the road is not a fun experience.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cookie88
Trust me on this...a total loss of steering on the road is not a fun experience.
Gotta story?

Old 11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
See the 77 F-150 in my gallery on the 44" gumbo mudders?

Imagine that truck driving around a curve at 50 mph when the steering sector rag joint snaps at the steering gear. Steering wheel spins out of my hand like a top and the truck decides to track a straight line through the curve.

No permanent damage and no injury..I got her hauled down before anything major happened, but it took weeks to get the seat cushion pried out of my backside.

Quick Reply: Front End Shimmy