Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2005, 11:10 PM
New User

tdc3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford says B5 is the limit; how much B20?

I'm trying to figure out how much B20 (only mix avail in my area) I can put in a 29 gal tank and not blow Ford's B5 limit. Are these calc's correct?

Assumptions:
  • B20 = 20% BD / 80% Petro (0.25)
  • B5 = 5% BD / 95% Petro (0.05)
  • 29 gal total
Calculations:
  1. 0.25X = 0.05
  2. X = 0.05/0.25 = 0.20
  3. 29(0.20) = 5.8 gal of B20
So, I could put 5.8 gal of B20 + 23.2 gal of pure petro diesel into an empty 29 gal tank and be within Ford's limit, right?

Thanks...
Old 10-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Senior User

rray32539 is starting off with a positive reputation.
richard.l.ray
I was never a whiz at algebra, but your figures look correct to me.

Richard Ray - W4RLR - Sewanee, TN

"The Green Goblin 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB
"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel

Old 10-31-2005, 04:02 AM
Elder User

4wd is starting off with a positive reputation.
First break down what the factory recommendation is:

5% of 29 gallons= 1.45 gal of pure 100%bio diesel allowed with each 27.55 gallons of pure 100% diesel.

So, @20% bio diesel, 1.45/.2 = 7.25 gallons of 20% would get you the max (1.45 gal) of bio and 5.8 of pure 100% diesel. Now, add another 21.75 gal of pure 100% diesel (27.55-5.8) and you should be at the recommended mixture rate.

Last edited by 4wd; 10-31-2005 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
New User

Makes sense...

Thanks much. Either way, pity it's such a small amount of BD allowed!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
What ford says in this matter is irrelevant. Your truck can run any mixture due to its inheirent properties. Exponential lubrication abilities, high oxegen content, extremly reduced soot emissions, and the natural cleaning atributes, higher cetane rating and finally horsepower increase as well as milage. Do some research and run whatever you want. B100 is clear and cleaner.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyford
What ford says in this matter is irrelevant. Your truck can run any mixture due to its inheirent properties. Exponential lubrication abilities, high oxegen content, extremly reduced soot emissions, and the natural cleaning atributes, higher cetane rating and finally horsepower increase as well as milage. Do some research and run whatever you want. B100 is clear and cleaner.
I hear ya, but if Ford won't warranty a $5K+ engine option because I ran over their recommended limit that seems pretty risky if within the warranty period. After the warranty period, your opinion makes perfect sense!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Posting Guru

Oh yeah you want to protect yourself from those ford **** mechanics. You dont want them making up stuff like they did on our truck. This one guy says he made no mistakes and the whole shop backed him....anyway If you mix yourself up 20 you will be able to feel the positives and they would not be able to tell unless they sent the fuel in for analysis. I doubt they would do that. You could even run b100 for say 1/4 to 1/2 tanks at a time, and fill up with dino alternating. Anyway have just plain fun.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyford
i am going to get some bio-d on my next fill up. so youre saying the b-100 is clear, like water? that is cool!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Posting Guru

Clear, super duper clean of the products I have seen. Im topping off tomarrow at a local place with b100.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
b20, b5, diesel, ford