1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Glow Plug/gpr/hard Winter Start And White Smoke Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tips tend to expand with use so when you go to remove them the tips break off remaining stuck in the hole in the head and from what I heard it can be a real pita to remove.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motorcraft or International GP's. ZD-11 are the Ford part number. Not sure what the International number is

Old 02-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
Question Start Up And Smokin issue

Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your help and responses.
2003 F350 7.3 PS <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O></O>

Ok I have read a number of the post here and I think I have a good Idea of what my problem is but here it is in full...

I have been having a startup issue that just started in the past few weeks, <O></O>

When it is cold out let say below 40 degrees if I don't have my truck plugged in I have to cycle my glow plugs at least three times and if I am lucky it will start. <O></O>

But when it don't start which is most of the time I cycle them again try it over, as I am cranking there is white smoke coming from the exhaust and from under the hood, Now this part is what is really getting me
I stop cranking and then I wait for about ten to twenty seconds and I hear a " PWOOOFF" sound and white smoke shoots out of the exhaust, now mind you the noise and the white smoke are before I try to turn over the engine again, I am just sitting there. Then when I do turn over the engine it starts and a ton of smoke both white and black pile out until the truck warms up a bit. <O></O>

If I have my truck plugged in all is fine and no problems. <O></O>

What is the problem and what can I do to fix it? <O></O>

Please help <O></O>

Thanks <O></O>

Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

You have a few glow plugs that aren't working. The pwoof sound you hear is a glow plug finally getting hot enough to light the fuel in the one cylinder. YOur relay may be getting weak or you have a few GP's out. or a combination of both. Weak batteries could also contribute to the problem.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 AM
1969fordguy
Senior User
Replace your Glow Plug Relay. The wooosh is diesel fuel igniting in the cylinders from the heat of the glow plugs. The cycling of the GPR makes a good contact for a second so you get good current for a second. Easy fix.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
is the zd 11 the only glow plug you guys suggest for these trucks and is it really worth twice as much as the others?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
i would just go with the OEM beru plugs.
and everyone will tell you. pay good money for a good plug. you will be happy when you change them in the future when they all come out and none fall in the head and cost you 10x the money pulling the head.
mitch

Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM
sbxworship
Senior User
does anyone know a trick for removing broken glow plugs? I have two plugs in my engine that are stuck. when I pulled them out (it was a grueling battle), only the sleeve came out, leaving the filament and such. (they were beru's, btw)

Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRocchio
Here's a question for you all...

You've gone to the trouble of getting the valve covers off to replace the glow plugs. What else do you change while your there? My truck has nearly 200K (97 PSD CC SB 4X4)and I would guess that it is completely stock, should I look at anything else while I'm in here?
Yes. Recheck the torque on the rocker arm and injector mount bolts. Not only will you be surprised how many of them will take a little more torque, but also at how much quieter the engine runs.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh yeah. I guess it would help if I added the torque spec's. 120 in/lbs for the injector hold down bolts, and 20 ft/lbs for the pedestal bolts.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by okfarrier
I skimmed through all posts and seen you guys did good job of covering issues but I still have question about the ground circuit wire on GPR. Does anyone know how to track down the source of this wire or circuit? I would like to fix it so I can remove my little push button switch I installed for now.
Here ya go:
Arrow D (P/O) Purple/Orange wire is going to the PCM. This likely the wire you have spliced into your switch.
It completes the ground circuit to the PCM

The F & G Arrows are going to the GP's.
Power is supplied to them through the fusible links to the
(BK/O) Black/Orange wire. These are the big wires on the GPR.

The R/LG (Red w/light green wire) is the power to the small wire on the GPR

Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
MikeRocchio
New User
Changed One

I had big plans to change all 8 glow plugs while I was under the covers but turned out that I had purchased the WRONG parts. I went to my local International dealership (Bayshore International) with the list that I got off of this site but like a dumb a$$ I got the numbers off of the 1999 to 2003 forum.

Part Numbers I got and their prices for anyone interesed.
UVC Harness IH # 1830844C93 $39.67/each
Gasket IH # 1826703C1 $65.40/each
Glow Plugs IH # 1820697C2 $19.12/each

Luck would have it that the GLow Plugs were the same from 1995 to 2003ish so I did have the key part that I needed. Once I realized that I had the wrong harnesses and gaskets my energy dropped exponentially! The risk of making a mistake without the right parts was too much for me. I did pull all of the connectors and checked the remainder of the plugs and they all checked out with a resistance of 0ohms, the same as the new ones.

I guess next time I go to the internet to get part numbers I'll be a little more carefull! The story ends happily I got the bad GP (that was throwing a code) replaced, IH told me they would take back anything I didn't use.

Seems like a comprehensive list that includes all the parts that you would need to make this repair would be helpfull. I think the list on the very fist post has the GPR and the GP numbers but does not include the VC Gaskets or UVC Harness numbers. I did a search in the thread and didn't see those two numbers anywhere.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sbxworship
does anyone know a trick for removing broken glow plugs? I have two plugs in my engine that are stuck. when I pulled them out (it was a grueling battle), only the sleeve came out, leaving the filament and such. (they were beru's, btw)
Did you ever get it out? If not soak it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a while and turn the engine over. The compression from the engine will pop it out. Never did this myself but other on this site have had luck with this and it has to be the easiest way to do it. Got to be careful the element will fly out like a bullet. Make sure its not pointed at your house or your neighbors prized pig.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
today at orielys i found out they sell a set of vavle cover gaskets that come with new pigtails and under valve cover wring harness to they were like $80 and the part number is dorman 615-202

Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
monkee, sounds like you got some dead glow plugs.

as for mojo and ark, white smoke is perfectly normal on a 7.3, watch these videos of my truck. i gurantee you that all of my glow plugs are functional, my relay works and my motor is healthy.
YouTube - cold stacks
YouTube - 2 hour sit in cold weather
YouTube - cold day truck start

Quick Reply: Glow Plug/gpr/hard Winter Start And White Smoke Thread