1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

followed lift law calculations (refusal of inspection)

Old 10-28-2005, 08:36 PM
JMACC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
followed lift law calculations (refusal of inspection)

Guy's-
I have a small dillema here in MA, under the alrtered vehicle height law there is a calculation for how much you can lift a particular vehicle. Under that calculation- the vehicle in question is my 2000 F350 SuperDuty SW CC Lariat longbed.The maximum mechanical lift would be 6.26 inches for my truck and the tire size can also be increased the same as the mechanical lift.I have a 6" lift that I put on as well as a set of 37" BFG Mud terrains.The tires are exactly 6" over the stock tire and the lift is actually a 1/4" under the max.I researched this before I installed anything and believed that I would be alright come inspection time? but today I went to get my truck inspected and was turned away for as the guys doing the inspection said "it was to high" even when I showed them the calculation law I had printed out,highlighted and with all the calculations they still refused to inspect the truck? I am hoping that this does not turn into an ugly sceen.The guys doing the inspection told me to give one of the local registry reps a call and have him look at the truck first before I take it anywere to get a sticker. The only thing that gets me is when I first pulled into the station and walked in the inspector asked me how much the truck was lifted and when I told him 6" he immediatly corrected me and said "The Law is 2"" then when I broke out the calculation printouts from the lift law he changed his tune pronto but still insisted that it was to high and that if they issued an inspection sticker they would be shut down for thirty days.
Anyway I just had to vent a little and wonder if anyone else has had a similar encounter.

Thaks guys for listening
JMACC

Old 10-28-2005, 10:01 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
So you have aprox 9" of lift and they went running to the other side of the building. Did you scare them with the beast? They don't have headlight height specs?
Are you sure you can add the tires and the lift and not just 6" max lift? I know mass is a real pain in the asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

On edit http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...A_lift_law.pdf

Last edited by 99f350sd; 10-28-2005 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Add stuff
Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 PM
bigsbetter
Junior User
I am worried about the same thing. I just installed pro comps 6.5" kit on my 2003 crew cab long bed diesel, and it actually raised the front end 8 inches! I am a state inspector so getting a sticker is no problem, but I'm worried about a cop getting out his tape measure on side of the road. Here in Missouri our lift law is the bottom of the front bumper is allowed to be a maximum of 29" and the rear bumper 31". If the lift were actually 6.5 inches with my 37": tires it would be just barley legal.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Looks like your max lift should be 8" with an inch extra for the law so thats 9".
172x69/2200=5.4" 5.4/2=2.7 5.4+2.7=8.1 they give you an inch 9.1 you should be ok unless I got the WB wrong.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Customz
Postmaster
I haven't had to get a vehicle inspected in AZ. What if I have a legal lift in my state and travel to another? Same thing with tinted windows, I can't very well remove that all the time.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:31 PM
bigsbetter
Junior User
Customz... That's a good thought. Some states have helmat laws for motorcycles and some do not. If your hometown state does not require a helmat and you cross the border into Missouri, you WILL get a ticket!

Old 10-29-2005, 07:50 PM
captchas
new jersey is 4 inches max, combined. lift over that you have to pay to have it tested on some crazy machine they strap it unto and try to shake it over.
window tint they use the national highway law, nothing on the front side windows or windsheild.
kind of a big pia with ways to work around it. as lots of guys have found out. a few greenies to a private station and you have a sticker.
as to mass laws i have had to repair a 3rd stop light that was not bright enough. that's kind of crazy if it works and it's normal to me a tech on that brand of car. why is it not for them. any way i just changed the unit. the cust. went back to mass and got a sticker because she had a repair bill under warrenty from a dealer near where she goes to school. that said bulb unit replaced.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:10 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...A_lift_law.pdf

For those who want to read the mumble jumble of the great state of mASSachusetts and its lift law.

And here is a Mass RMV contradiction to themselves

(12) Altered Vehicle Heights. The original manufacturers specified height of motor vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less shall not be altered by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than two inches, except that 4-wheel drive motor vehicles with a original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less may be altered in accordance with the provisions of 540 CMR 6.00. The Registrar may periodically provide approved altered vehicle height specifications for said 4-wheel drive vehicles. Any motor vehicle altered, modified, or changed beyond the aforementioned two inches, or the Registrar's approved altered height specifications, shall be rejected.

Not a lift law but some interesting reading reguarding aftermarket exhausts.

(5) Muffler and Exhaust System. Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks. System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment. A gas or diesel vehicle will be rejected if, at normal operating temperature, at any constant speed over 15 MPH, (approximately 1,000 to 1,200 RPM's) visible black or blue exhaust emissions are evident.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:29 PM
JMACC
Senior User
Boxcar1974-
What of the lift calculation? and how can MA have laws that contradict each other? I went to the same station about a year ago with an 04 s10 extended cab that I had (Traded for the Super Duty) put a 5-6 slam on,clear corners,clear tails black windows and passed no problem? What gives? I'm not a kid I have a family I do what I do because I enjoy the hobby it just gets kinda frustrating? when you try to be an idividule and take pride in your ride then get misguided by trying to follow the rules that seem to make no sense.

JMACC

Old 10-29-2005, 08:41 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
Fustrating as all heck isn't it. The only thing that I have found is build a partnership with a repair station that does inspections also. Kinda of at the mercy of the individual rather than the system regulations at times.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:57 PM
tps0424
Senior User
Do you have access to some stock wheels so you could get a sticker and then switch back? I might be taking a ride to the cape soon. If I do, I could lend you my stockers to get you a sticker.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:40 PM
JMACC
Senior User
Actually, I just sold my stockers 2 days ago to a friend of mine,hopefully he hasn't put them on yet, but if you do get to the Cape give me a shout.

JMACC

Old 10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

I don't understand. Don't you have a 4wd? I didn't read anything that changes anything unless you have a 2wd.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 AM
JMACC
Senior User
Exactly!!! 99f350sd,I indeed have a 4wd

Old 10-30-2005, 08:49 AM
350z
Elder User
Find your local 4wd shop ask them who they use for inspections , as you know some shops are a lot strickter than others , Craig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: followed lift law calculations (refusal of inspection)