Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Junior User

76fordman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Exhaust leak!

I have a 1976 F-150 Supercab with a 1973 400 motor. The other day it started making a ticking noise, so I got up under the pickup and it has an exhaust leak right where the exhaust pipe goes into the manifold. The bolts are extremely tight. Is there a gasket in there that prevents exhaust from leaking out or do I need to try and tighten it even more. Any help would be appreciated. Braxton

Old 04-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Posting Guru

KJKozak2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KJKozak2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford Exhaust leak!

Sorry I can't answer that yet, but I'm going through this same thing on my 460. I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and had to put new studs on the manifold. I torqued them to spec and it leaks like a sieve. I even tried to tighten it more to the point of almost bending the flange. No change.

The donut-like metal gasket on mine appears to be part of the manifold so I can't replace it. I plan to work on it tonight until it's fixed, so I can let you know in the morning what I find.

Hopefully some of the more learned folks here will have a solution before then.

Kevin K.

Come chill in the Wisconsin Chapter!
Old 04-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Senior User

ford_nut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Exhaust leak!

hi
there is a donut gasket that is sandwiched between the the manifold and the exhaust pipe. if that gasket blows out, you will get a nasty, annoying leak! if you can remove the 2 nuts off the studs and drop down the exhaust pipe, you should be able to replace that gasket. i believe that they are no more than $2.00 each! the trick however, is GETTING those nuts off! GOOD LUCK
Old 04-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Freshman User

7220driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Exhaust leak!

Somtimes the only way to loosen the nuts is to heat them with a torch to break the rust free. also,I've had good luck replacing steel nuts with brass, these will not corrode.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Postmaster

Vampiro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Exhaust leak!

if you can't get the bolts out wouldt something like seal a gasket or a liquid gasket that gas or oil and stuff doesn't affect?
Old 04-26-2002, 12:28 AM
New User

Unclej78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Exhaust leak!

Old 04-26-2002, 12:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1976, exhust, ford, leak, truck