ATTN.Ford Techs, 6.0l biodiesel standpoint.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:00 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN.Ford Techs, 6.0l biodiesel standpoint.

Just curious here, what exactly does the biodiesel reak havok on in the 6.0 engine. Is it just the injectors, or a combination of things? If it was just injectors, wow what a market there would be in a BD injector converson kit. With reported production costs of .50 .75 cents per gallon for BD by home brewers, this seems like a very interesting project.

Ryan

Old 10-29-2005, 08:14 AM
joeblow69
New User
It may be early but I have 4000 WVO miles on my 05 PSD. All is working great. So for now no havok. But who knows the truck only has 7900 miles on it. they sau a diesel wil burn anything, but for how long?

Old 10-29-2005, 09:22 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
I remember a post where a tech or a tech someone here knew said the BD was plasticizing the injectors.

Ryan

Old 10-29-2005, 08:21 PM
joeblow69
New User
I doubt that. BD made "right" will not hurt any diesel engine. WVO on the other hand can be more challanging. But, if you have the right system, is far less trouble IMHO then making BD

This guy is using B100 in all his comercial trucks
He reports no problems to date on other forums

Old 10-29-2005, 10:21 PM
tkyllo
New User
Soy-biodiesel took out the injectors on my 2005 6.0....

Old 10-29-2005, 10:43 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you give more details on how BD caused the injectors to fail?

Old 10-30-2005, 07:36 AM
joeblow69
New User
Yes more details please. Post like this with no details server no purpose except to fuel the uninformed opinions of alternative fuels.

I'll restate BD will not harm any diesel engine if made correctly

2005 F250 PSD
Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000, and Vegtherm

Old 11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is information on one of the other forum currently. The guy is running 100 bio and the result is NO black smoke, no intense carbon. The bio is super lubing the engine. The engine oil is lasting longer because of the natural properties of this fuel. Do the research dont take our word for it. An injector has one moving part and is controlled by a magnetic field hense your statement is somewhat unfounded since ford has had injector probs since 03. Cause carbon buildup and dumb egr setup.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 PM
nckmsn
New User
how could boidiesel take out your injectors. It sounds like the biodiesel was made poorly or with low standards. Probably had water in it.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:04 PM
OMCUSNR
Senior User
Originally Posted by tkyllo
Soy-biodiesel took out the injectors on my 2005 6.0....
Then you got bad bio diesel. What are you talking about with "soy-biodiesel"? Was it transestrified virgin soy oil made into bio-diesel, or straight soy vegetable oil (virgin or waste)? Also, bad petroleum diesel will cause injector problems/failures as well.

There is a lot of confusion with new people talking about "bio-diesel". Bio-diesel is a transestified oil base stock that has the same properties as petroleum diesel. It can be made with either a virgin stock or waste oil, and made from several different feed stocks. The most common commercial biodiesel in the US is made from soy oil, and most (but not all) is virgin stock. Transestrifcation is the process of removing the Trans & Free Fatty Acids that are in oil, in the form of glycerol.

There are also many people out there running straight vegetable oil (SVO), waste vegetable oil (WVO), and are either mixing it w/ #2 petro, or, just dumping it (filtered) into a heated tank. WVO with a high concentration of Trans Fatty Acids (TFA's) are the most harmful, and may also contain secondary chemicals used to clean the cooking equipment. If you opt to use WVO, I would not recommend it for a 6.0, and you MUST be sure of your source and quality.

As far as the "polymerization" issue, it was determined that, that problem was caused by bad quality fuel. It is safe to use B-100 in a high pressure injector system, if the fuel is of good quality. Even if the quality drops, droping to B-90 took care of the polymerization. I've run my truck on B-20 for at least half of the 2yrs/40,000 miles it now has. It runs strong, and is quieter & smoother with the bio in it. As the cost of the 2 fuel has gotten closer to each other, I've increased by Bio usage up to B-50 (a good winter blend for around here).

Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very intellectual and precise writing. Even if I didnt spell it correctly. Most people do not understand how simple and yet what a pain the injectors are. I spoke with a diesel tech and we spoke for quite a while. In simple terms soot bad.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM
jones8
New User
If I'm not mistaken the 7.3 is around 22,000psi. The 6.0 spray the fuel in at around 28,000psi which causing the more viscous and larger molecule bio-diesel to “plasticize” in the enjector.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Home brew bio unless tested and meets fuel standards will be denied warranty claims. As for me I run soybio from a fuel distributer which meets fuel specs. No problems with any vehicles, trucks, tractors in 7 years. hate buying fuel on the road and getting #2 fuel.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:57 PM
tewbert
Freshman User
How does a dealer know if you are using "approved" biodiesel of home brew? Color of fuel, smell? And how does he know the ratio? B5, B100. Just curious and learning. Great forum!!

Old 11-22-2005, 04:36 AM
joeblow69
New User
Originally Posted by tewbert
How does a dealer know if you are using "approved" biodiesel of home brew? Color of fuel, smell? And how does he know the ratio? B5, B100. Just curious and learning. Great forum!!
If you go in with a fuel problem or maybe any engine problem, but more often with a fuel problem, they can take a sample of fuel from the tank or tanks. They still won't be able to tell just by looking at it what B% it is.

But, I've heard that they will send a sample out for testing if they suspect the use of too much B what ever, or if the repair is very expensive.

Quick Reply: ATTN.Ford Techs, 6.0l biodiesel standpoint.