Sponsored by: Moser

Stereo selection assistance please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I realize that I dont even have the cab painted and back on the truck yet, but I can see a problem coming, and I'd appreciate input on solutions.

My 76 F250 came with the good old fashioned ***** that hold the stereo to the mounting plate in the dash. As I look at the cool new stereo catalogs that show up in my mailbox I cant help but notice that there are NO *****.

I gather that this style of stereo with no ***** is called DIN. What are the old **** types called? Does anyone make them anymore? Does anybody have a solution which does not involve cutting up my mounting plate and instrument cluster bezel?

Thanks in advance,

-Scouder

Old 04-23-2002, 07:14 PM
Nitro
Senior User

Pretty much these days you are going to need to cut the bezel and the mounting plate behind it if you want a good stereo. Its alot easier than it sounds, just cut out the hole you need that is the size of the mounting kit, slide it in and there you have it. Not too tough

Nitro

Old 04-23-2002, 07:49 PM
FOMOGO
Senior User

Scouder, I had a similar dilema with my 79'. I understand not wanting to cut up your truck. If you look under the audio section of this website you will find a post called 79' audio upgrade help. You can see the suggestions i have recieved. So far i am still using my factory AM/FM but i would still like to an upgrade also. Good luck, FOMOGO

Old 04-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoa !!!!!!! Horsey.

Pioneer still makes a stereo cassette deck with *****.
I have one.

Great sound too.
They made three models.

Actually there are 4-5 makes with *****.

[b][i][font color=red]Dennis[/font][i][b]

[font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

Need to decode your 78 Truck data plate? click here

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/FordTruckCodes.html

[font color=red]If New Ford Parts Is What You're Cravin',
Then Buy Them HERE,At Motorhaven!

[/font]

Feel free to visit my website.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html

[font color =red] Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon [/font]

Old 04-24-2002, 12:52 AM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-24-2002, 06:07 AM
rdlehman
New User

I installed a Kenwood from Crutchfield in my 74, not the greatest by today's thumpin croud but no cutting and it has *****, also front and rear speaker output, no cd pllayer but thats ok I was just after fm.

Bob L

Old 04-24-2002, 07:10 AM
78f250
Senior User

I also did the Crutchfeild/Kenwood deal on my 78. No cutting at all and install was pretty easy. Little on the expensive side but the radio is alot better than what it replaced (factory AM).

Old 04-24-2002, 12:31 PM
CardnlSiN
New User

I feel your pain
i did the cutting job myself didnt turn out the greatest!
hehe
so i decided to go with bucket seats with bronco mounts and a custom centre console and dont let the word custom turn you away. It simply means the way i want it, with cup holders and all, but with this method i can still have room behimd my seats because i am going to be mounting a 12" sub in the middle just under my arm rest!! with one amp running to it wiht a dedicated 250amps it will surely pound in a small cab area!

good luck ill be putting up a site soon with upgrade pics and info.

the truck is booked in for a rebuild on the 28th so with me luck

Old 04-24-2002, 12:52 PM
76supercab
Senior User

Check out Custom Auto Sound. Advertises in Mustang catalogs. They carry a bolt in radio that I have used for my 72 mustang. They also list one for trucks. I haven't tried it for that application but I don't think Ford changed the radios that much so the same one that fit my Mustang dash will probably go right in the truck. When I say no cutting that is exactly what happened.

I was impressed with the quality of the product, however I realize that it is probably not cutting edge by today's standards. Still it is a good radio.

http://www.custom-autosound.com/

If you decide to cut your dash I find that a dremel with a carbide cutting bit works well.

Tom H.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:39 PM
CountryBoy685
Junior User

I put a Alpine deck w/ infinity speakers in my 76 F-150. even thouhg I had to cut the bracket off I just took a pice of metal and went from the bracket remaining to the dash metal itseld and using self taping screws, screwed it to the side. Mine looks like a factory job and it really sets off the whole truck

Andrew
1976 F-150 Ranger XLT 390 w/ C-6 - " Blue Thunder"

When the going gets tough
The tough get going
And Blue Thunder is the Toughest

Old 04-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Jake65
Senior User

LMC has kits

Old 04-24-2002, 09:24 PM
wl_keller
Junior User

What about installing one of those highliners where you install the stereo overhead?

I was thinking about one of those so I could keep my stock radio in the dash.

It would also possibly keep your expensive stereo hidden from possible thieves.

Just someting I was considering.

Old 04-25-2002, 12:14 PM
petem
Senior User

Am I reading that correctly: Scouder put a TP in an F250?

Old 04-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Yep.

Motor is not complete yet, but will finish as a stroked 427 Sideoiler (452ci) with C70E-6090K TP heads, single four intake, titanium valves, billet shaft supports w/end stands, HD shafts, Harland Sharp roller rockers, crane pushrods, Comp Cams solid roller lifters, (Havent chosen cam yet), Eagle rods, (havent chosen pistons either).

Mostly waiting for Genesis to get their new sideoiler blocks done.

I've always been an FE fan, and when I decided to put a high output motor in this project I just couldn't bring myself to convert to a 460. Besides, most people have never actually seen a Tunnelport, so it'll be fun when the hood is up.

-Scouder

Old 04-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Quadiquizm
Elder User

Ideally it all depends on what kind of sound you demand, what kind of music you listen to and what format - radio, 8-track, Cassette, CD etc. If you want to listen to CD's, then you must cut the dash or put a CD changer behind the seat.
YES - there are manufacturers (as some members have already noted) still making decks with **** controls, but for some unknown reason in many cases they are MORE expensive than digital decks with touch controls. Also you have to be the type that likes to hunt around and ask questions - some audio dealers will try to sell you what is on the shelf, not what is in the book - either laziness, lack of knowledge or they want the install job - more bucks out of your pocket!
I have had many experiences shopping for systems for myself and with others for different applications and here is the advice I can give you:
1) Figure out what YOU want first - it will save you money
2) Check your budget - make sure you can afford it
3) Go to auto shows / car audio competitions and see what others have done - great way to get ideas and costs
4) Watch your budget - you don't want to be hocking your system 6 months down the road for half of what you paid because you need cash for something else - if you don't believe this happens, visit your local pawn/hock shop in November through February - this is when they have the most audio stuff in stock!
5) Don't go shopping alone - take a buddy to keep you from getting mezmorized by all the 'cool' stuff that you can't afford
6) Read up - there are some good magazines for car audio out there - just watch out for the import specialty mags - they are no help!
7) There is alot out there, buy quality, not junk, buy sound, not namebrand - be sure you like the sound!
8) Check the swap meets! I can't stress this enough, you may be taking a gamble, but it may work out. You can tote a recreational vechicle battery with clips and a speaker to test if you want.
9) Keep in mind that a run of the mill deck can be made to sound good by what you hook it to.
I hope this helps you some.
In a more direct response - Here is what I did - I did NOT want to cut my dash -
Went to a swap meet and bought 3 radios (2 with *****, one without) with tape decks for a fraction of what they cost new - all three worked - except that the one I wanted to put in had a bad tape drive (a beautiful green/black face with chrome *****/buttons Panasonic), so I ended up putting in an orange face (when lit) black **** Craig Tape Deck, put a 150 Watt Amp behind the seat, two Sanyo 6X9's in individual boxes behind the seat, two Sony 6-inch mid ranges - just sitting there behind the seat. And it sounds good! I can crank it and close the doors with windows up and it you can hear it. This is just the starter system, but I like it and it works, so until I feel like changing it (and have some cash), it will do.
I hope this helps your dilema!
Cheers,

Quick Reply: Stereo selection assistance please...