1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Never take things for granted

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Never take things for granted

I decided well I will change the oil in the 5spd low and behold some one put gear oil 80w-90 into the transmission and it was 1.5 litres short so the frigging thing was only 1/2 full too boot

I bought the truck which is a 95 F-450 it had a new clutch installed and a bunch of engine work done. I took it for granted that the transmission would have the proper oil and it was filled to the proper level. I thought I checked the oil level on the transmission after I bought the truck I guess I didn't.

I couldn't buy full sythetic oil so I bought Pennzoil Sythetic Blend it said Mercon V it also said ZF. I noticed the difference right away the truck shifts better and less noise. Hopefully there wasn't much damage done running the 80w-90. The stuff that come out is brownish color it looked like what came out of my diff when I changed that oil. I smelled the oil and its smells like 80w-90 so I went and grabbed a bottle of gear oil for a comparision and it smells really simillar. I smelled the new oil definatly different.

I feel the red tinge that the old oil has must have been from the original Atf that was in the transmission before the clutch or the PTO was removed.

I know the company that did the clutch change and engine work I can't beleive there would be a screw up like that.

Now I hope my transmission will work better do you think I will have to change the oil again or can I leave it with the 80-90 residue mixed with the new oil ?

The oil I bought is 7 dollars a litre (quart) it was 30 dollars worth of oil I bought today.

Oh ya the truck doesn't feel so sluggish now I don't know if its my imagination or the new oil in the transmission helped.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just changed mine also and it was a yellowish brown color. i am thinking it was original stuff. i dont think the gear oil will hurt anything. maybe made it harder to shift but lubricity shouldnt have been a problem. glad to hear you got er done though.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:57 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it'll be ok if you leave it in there until the next change is due. Probably need to run it a while to get the rest of the gear lube washed down anyways.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies I will leave be till I change the oil next.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

bet your fuel mileage goes up too!!!! and yeah it should be good till next service.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
I really don't blame anybody allot of people don't realize you put ATF in a manual transmission. It was so many years that 80-90w gear lube was used so thats what everybody is used to.

I never new ZFs used ATF untill I bought my first F-450 a 88 gasser 5spd and found the transmission uses ATF.