6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bulldog Free Down Load

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
F250Wheels
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bulldog Free Down Load

Any body try bulldogs free down load? It's suppost to last about A month, then go away. They hope you loved the power so much you'll buy there tuner. I seen it advertised at 4 WHEEL PARTS.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
It's for the Triple Dog Downloader. It's only good for 3-5 days. Oh yeah it's "Bully Dog".

Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would quite strongly advise you not do this...given the way the "trial" download works, it has the potential to turn into an assembly-code nightmare under the right circumstances.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
What basis do you have for that statement? I haven't heard of any issues like that. What is an assembly code? Do you mean a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)?

Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
By assembly code I meant assembly language- the bitcode used to develop the programming.

I don't intend on going in depth as to why I feel this way, because its just too time-consuming. IMO any sort of time-based programming trial is a just a bad incident awaiting in the fog, but everyone is entitled to do what they like with their own truck. I wouldn't let it anywhere near mine.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:33 PM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
Too each his own but these time limited software programs are very common on the internet ie; Quicken, Norton, MacAfee etc. They have been out there for years, technology has just recently brought them into the Truck ECM arena. When technology advances it's not always a bad thing.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Its really not neccessary to give me a selling job on technology, I have no qualms with it whatsoever.

This has absolutely nothing to do with C++ based software on a Windows or Linux system utilizing hard disk memory.

The problem is this- BullyDog is utilizing the VID block of the EEPROM to access the processor's internal clock. While using the clock poses no threat of its own, rewriting the VID block can cause all sorts of dangerous problems for your truck- If the program does not "expire" as planned, you can be stuck with random bits of code within the VID that can render the PCM unable to be flashed by other aftermarket units, and leave traces of the programming that you WON'T get out with normal means if you need to take the truck to a dealer.

One incident of this actually managed to fool Ford's own WDS unit and the truck couldn't be reflashed. The only option at that point is to manually recalibrate the processor with a multi-thousand dollar controller area network interface or replace the processor...Ford certainly isn't going to send an engineer out to recalibrate it for you after you screw it over, and replacement costs....well, go check it out for yourself at your nearest Ford parts department

Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
pamelbert
Senior User
I have tried it, and bought the triple dog downloader, It is the only downloader that you can change power settings on the fly. I have already downloaded the upgrades via the internet, it works well. If you go to: www.bullydog.com there is a video that tells you more about it. The free download does not have a time frame, It's more like an amount, the faster you use it the, the faster it ends.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pamelbert
The free download does not have a time frame, It's more like an amount, the faster you use it the, the faster it ends.
Nonetheless, the program must base its expiration on something quantitative- pedal counts, engine hours, miles traveled, time, ect.- all from the VID block.

The problem is that the algorithm used to "limit" the use of the program requires extra code to be added (and memory allocation of that sector to be remapped) to a very sensitive and crucial block of memory which is not typically accessible with readily available hardware on the market, including Ford's own dealer hardware (WDS can only access certain portions of the VID block, for specific purposes)

Point being- if anything goes wrong, you are screwed. From what I have seen, Bullydog doesn't utilize the most safe and redundant programming techniques, either.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 AM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
PSD...You sure are going after Bully Dog. But, you don't back any of these statements up with real world experiences. I saw the pics about your blown motor, it doesn't look like you've had a good experience with your own vehicle. I've had mine ('04-6.0L) for over 74K miles and over 60K with a Bully Dog Torque Dog module. Not one single problem, that's real life experience. Both my mileage and performance for towing (7700# trailer) were improved, the customer service people are first rate and Bully Dog has kept me updated on all the stuff I needed to know about my module and vehicle. Let's keep it real. Have you ever used any of their products? The Truck Sales Manager at my Ford dealer has one of their Triple Dog programmers on his personal 6.0L, it was installed after he drove mine. That's real!

Old 10-26-2005, 08:03 AM
pamelbert
Senior User
Talking

I agree with Ranchrodtx, life is too short to hate!

Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Ranch I think you missed what PSD was telling you about the BD system. No one has in for BD and as far as the blown engine you don't know the first thing about how it became that way.

The BD systems do not produce Hp to destroy anything other than your transmission. If you enjoy shift on the fly levels of power over stock then that is for you.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 AM
F250Wheels
Elder User
This is why I started this thread, this is good clean fun. I don't have A downloader, never plan on installing one.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:11 AM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
Hey MAX!!! It's all good, my comment about the blown engine was to demonstrate that bad things happen to everybody. Let's just keep it real .Your comment about the transmission issue is another example. Real Life !

Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 AM
juniorf350
Senior User
Originally Posted by RanchRodsTX
Hey MAX!!! It's all good, my comment about the blown engine was to demonstrate that bad things happen to everybody. Let's just keep it real .Your comment about the transmission issue is another example. Real Life !
you just dont get do you. we will see when you bring you truck into the dealer for you transmission and your free trial is found. or you change your mind and want some other power programer and try to load it but it wont because the free trial crap is still there. and bye the way that blown engine was with 100% meth i think. and matt is running way more power then most guys

Quick Reply: Bulldog Free Down Load