Gibson Super Truck Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:42 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibson Super Truck Exhaust

hey all,

does anyone have Super Truck side exhaust on their 4.6 L ? How loud is it...how loud is it compared to flomaster 40 series......i want somethign loud either side exhaust before the rear tire on passenger side or split rear out the corners.....any suggestions are welcome....just remember i'd like it kinda loud.....i'm also going to put on headers and have one high flow cat put on

thanks

Old 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
harborbreeze
New User
I have the Magnaflow cat back system on mine.
Plenty loud for me.
Nice deep throaty growl.
Any louder and you could never hear the radio!
And it sounds like a performance vehicle, not like someone tooling around without a muffler.
I love it.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:22 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
whitch cat-back system?

Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM
harborbreeze
New User
15609 single exhaust.
Reason being and I quote from Magnaflow " In most cases a single exhaust will give you better torque and horsepower. The exception would be a heavily modified engine. "
And the other reason is I simply did not want the exaust exiting in front of the rear tires.
My preference is behing the rear tire, so the single exhaust worked out the best for me.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Mr. Man
Senior User
a local shop can make your truck louder than any pre-made cat-back system, one reason is simply because a shop can put on true duals if wanted, and true duals are definately louder than a single muffler, but as stated before, might not make as much power, or might just put more power in one particular region of the powerband rather than the whole powerband.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Flaw
Senior User
I have the System on my 1997 5.4L. I have had it for over 2 years now and I have had more compliments than I can count. Installed in about 30 mins and it has been a joy for my truck and me since... well... when I installed it. The sound is not LOUD but it is great in my mind. I have a remote start and when I start it up, the windows in my house rattle when it starts up... It has such a great throaty sound... and under full throttle or a load, the sound just gets into your veins... I cant get past how great the sound is... PLUS it gave me a noticeable HP increase. Everyone knows when im near their house because they can hear me coming, but its not like a sick loud... it a very tuned meaty growl... I have an idea... I will take a digital recording of it starting/running and then post a link to my host where you can take a look at it... all in all, i say totally go for it. I got mine from SummitRacing.com

Old 10-26-2005, 04:58 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Flaw: how loud is it.....compared to a 2 chamber flowmaster.....the digital recording would be cool to hear it....does your truck have headers or did you just put he system on and let everything else stock?

Old 10-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Flaw
Senior User
Well, I can't honestly tell you exactly how it sounds in comparison to the Flowmasters... but I have had Flowmasters of 3 of my other cars, and a friend has one on his Jeep... To compare my Gibson to them.... They are loud... can get louder than the Gibson at points, but they have the "Drone" I don't like. I'm sure you know what i mean, but to explain... at cetain RPM's the Flomaster has this constant "Drone" and is known to really give you a headache, the drone can be at idle... 40mph or even the average highway speed of 55mph, but who only goes 55 anyways lol... So to sum up my post here... Flowmasters are generally louder, but are designed mostly for noise... Gibson is loud, but a very TUNED loud and gives your truck a very mean noise plus a DYNO tested HP gain...

Here is a pic of the Gibson system I got for my truck 2 years after being installed. i took it out because I just wanted to inspect the system...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...4/IMGP0428.jpg

And here is a couple pictures of it installed on my Truck.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...4/DSC03616.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...4/DSC03615.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rChange023.jpg

I will get that sound on here as soon as I can...

Last edited by Flaw; 10-26-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: oops too big