Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding a water pump

out of coursity has any one done this? I would like to hear the results. thanks

Old 10-21-2005, 10:04 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
The water pump went out on my '54 several years ago. Went to the garage to buy a rebuilt one. The parts guy said that '54's did not have a 239 engine cause his book did not show it. I told him I have one and it is original and he and his book did not know what they were saying.

Turns out the '54 water pump is different from the '55 and '56, so since it is a loner year they do not rebuild them. So my water pump had to go to a rebuild/reman shop and my truck had to sit there until it came back! So I didn't do it myself but it works good now. If you do not have a '54 you can probably find rebuilt ones. You can also find them on ebay.

abe

Old 10-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cbfomoco
out of coursity has any one done this? I would like to hear the results. thanks
Okay, the first thing I will say is that I have NEVER replaced or rebuilt a water pump for the Y-block motors. Now, with that being said, I used to work at a job where I maintained a fleet of 30 POS/antiquated/outdated forklift trucks.
Anyway, about every other year each forklift needed the water pump replaced. We would order kits for these and replace the internal parts of the water pump. You would just reuse the casting and replace the impeller and the bearings. About the only thing that was needed to rebuilt the water pump was the kit and an air press. That is, IF this uses the same type of setup and these forklifts used and I think it does. The only thing that you need is a lot of patience putting these together. They are pretty simple. Good luck.