Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Headlight disasembely

Old 01-14-2006, 02:50 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by ryrett
I just need to change the bulb, not the whole thing. How would this procedure be different?
Put the two screws back in.
In back of the headlight take ahold of the bulb receptacle and turn about a quarter of a turn and pull the bulb out.
Take ahold of the bulb and pull out.
Push bulb in not touching bulb with fingers (use paper towel).
Put socket back in.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:45 PM
ryrett
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well that was easy.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
Well I've read this post all these post at least 10 times. I've stared holes in the picture looking so long. I took the battery out, removed the tray and I have two horns behind the light assembly. I don't see any screws, or bolts back or donw there.All that I see are the screw ends pocking thrugh. The chrome frame feels like it's bolted on the bottom...I'm lost...I have a 93 F350 XLT. Ford said I had to remove the parking running lights first..blah blah..need some help..

Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by LonnieD
Well I've read this post all these post at least 10 times. I've stared holes in the picture looking so long. I took the battery out, removed the tray and I have two horns behind the light assembly. I don't see any screws, or bolts back or donw there.All that I see are the screw ends pocking thrugh. The chrome frame feels like it's bolted on the bottom...I'm lost...I have a 93 F350 XLT. Ford said I had to remove the parking running lights first..blah blah..need some help..
I am not sure on the 93 but if it is like the 94-95 there are two holes down there and if you feel in the holes you will feel two nuts.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
I felt looked and could see or feel holes with nuts..dose yours have the dual horns mounted in the middle?

Old 02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by LonnieD
I felt looked and could see or feel holes with nuts..dose yours have the dual horns mounted in the middle?
Yes that is where my horns are on my 1995.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
and the holes are under those with the nuts to remove? I saw two bolts on the botton but nothing that points out that seems to hold the frame on...how do you remove the parking lights? The guy ar Ford seemed to say they had to come out first..I'm almost to the point of breaking mine and buying a replacement for $53.00

Old 02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The parking lights just come out by twisting the socket. You can not see the nuts and I am not sure if you can feel them. You just have to stick a socket in the hole, unscrew the nut and hold it on the socket with your fingernail to keep from dropping them. It is even more fun putting it back in.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Why are you taking it off? You can replace all lamps with it on.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
ryrett
New User
I know, now. I made this WAY too hard, when I finally figured out what the deal was, I was pretty humbled, and how easy it was to change the bulb.

It still isn't working correctly. It is a very dim compared to the other head light. I can get it to be as bright if I wiggle or mess with it, but then it gets dim again. So, being that it is a halogen light, I don't think it's the bulb, but rather the connection, so I am going to try spraying some contact cleaner in the sockets and put it back together.

Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 AM
LonnieD
Elder User
believe me if I didn't have to replace the entire assembly I wouldn't be taken on this task ..my headlight assembly on one side overheated (before I bought it) and the back melted to the extent I can't screw in the bulb or plug.. I've owned Ford trucks for many years and know how to remove the bulbs...I've also remove plenty of headlight assemblies, this is my first for the F350 and It's almost impossible it seems

Old 02-07-2006, 11:25 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
I can get it to be as bright if I wiggle or mess with it, but then it gets dim again. So, being that it is a halogen light, I don't think it's the bulb, but rather the connection, so I am going to try spraying some contact cleaner in the sockets and put it back together.
Any ideas?
Yes it is the socket, you might want to bend up any contacting points in the socket. After you clean it make sure you put new Connector & Spark Plug Grease in there.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
I know, now. I made this WAY too hard, when I finally figured out what the deal was, I was pretty humbled, and how easy it was to change the bulb.

It still isn't working correctly. It is a very dim compared to the other head light. I can get it to be as bright if I wiggle or mess with it, but then it gets dim again. So, being that it is a halogen light, I don't think it's the bulb, but rather the connection, so I am going to try spraying some contact cleaner in the sockets and put it back together.

Any ideas?
Yeah, they start making bad contact sometimes. Contact cleaner. Maybe a different bulb. You might even want to replace that part of the harness, I think most parts stores carry the plug, you could cut the old one off and solder the new one on to be safe. Hot things from bad connections tend to cause fires.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 AM
harjp1959
Junior User
Well, this is an encouraging thread!

The headlights on my '95 F250 were ridiculously dim. So I installed high output bulbs this evening. That was the easy part.

The plastic highlight lenses look like crap though. Funny, because the clear corner ones look new. Maybe they are. In any case, I really want to remove the headlight lenses and clean/polish them. New lenses from an online discount supplier were priced at nearly $200 for a set!

So I'll be searching for the elusive 7/16" nuts with my extended socket, fingernail at the ready!

Last edited by harjp1959; 04-25-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:35 AM
LonnieD
Elder User
harj1959, I went down to Schucks auto parts (part of the auto zone chain) and bought some plastic polish. The type of plastic is similar to what we use here in jets, (not as thick) but its lexan and you can polish out scratches. It takes some elbow grease but it's sure cheaper than new ones...I did buy a new on eBay since my was over headed and shot for 26.00 (new) but the hassle to get at it was a pain. Anyway buy this polish and set down and polish away...works great. Put away the socket and save the nail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Headlight disasembely