Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Freshman User

digracer is starting off with a positive reputation.
What does B5, B20, B100 mean?

I assume it means the percentage of biodiesel to dino fuel, but I thought you could run biodiesel straight? Why do some one person say they ran B50 fine, but had problems running B75? Are they talking about actual biodiesel, or mixing veggie oil with dino diesel?

Sorry for what might sound like dumb questions, but I am new to this biodiesel thing and am VERY interested in learning more about it before I try and run it.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 10-21-2005, 05:31 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
That is a good question. I'm interested in the answer myself.

Your assumption is correct about the fuel mixture designations.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Elder User

jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digracer
I assume it means the percentage of biodiesel to dino fuel,
Yes. B2 is 2% (real common for some reason?) B5 is 5%, B50 is 50%. ..

Quote:
I thought you could run biodiesel straight? Why do some one person say they ran B50 fine, but had problems running B75?
There are many reasons for this, including, but not limited to air temp, engine condition, driving habits.... You just have to go with what works for you.

Quote:
Sorry for what might sound like dumb questions
I've only heard one stupid question in my life. About 26 years ago my then 11(?) year old sister asked my father how many quarters were in a football game. He told her "About 15." That was belly luagh funny then and I still grin about it today.

WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. You'll get
paid after we getback. Must bring your own weapons.
Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.
www.jimkidd.com
Old 10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Freshman User

digracer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info.

I think I'm going to try some of the locally available B100 sold here in Tucson. I will try it straight and see what happens. I will just make sure to buy a couple of fuel filters first.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Digracer, As I've told my military students years ago. "The only dumb question is the question not asked"

Ford says not to go over 5% bio or 5 gal of B100 for 95 gal of dino
Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 PM
New User

gasboytgill is starting off with a positive reputation.
The number after B is the percentage of biodiesel blended with regualr diesel fuel; B20 - 20% bio, b100 - 100% bio.

As for the powerstroke be wary as Ford will not warrenty repairs if a part failes that is fuel related (injector, fuel pump, etc ) and the percentage of biodiesel is above 5%. I personally run B20 in a 2006 F250 without any problems in Florida.

The powerstroke's injection pumps inject with tremendous preasure and can cause the biodiesel to polaramize at higher concentrations causing the injection pumps to fail.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome gasboytgill, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 12-14-2005, 01:18 PM
New User

smid87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
To answer your question fully B means Bio, and the number after it means the amount in percent that is blended with Petroleum based Diesel. B20 has been tested thoroughly by the military and has shown no significant dissadvantages. Yellowstone National park in Wyoming has run B100 for years now in their equipment and had no problems until on very (-37 degree) night. Rudolph Diesel invented the Diesel Engine to run on Peanut oil (not good in cold weather) and we have butchered it so that reverse engineering needs to be done to get back to his roots. I do like the Idea of running on SVO, however I am against WVO because of the water and FFA (Free Fatty Acids) that can damage injectors and pumps, and making Biodiesel out of it instead eliminates, for the most part, those factors. I would be glad to have any discussion with anyone about Biodiesel at any time, and would be willing to travel a short distance from Southern NH to help anyone that needs it. Just PM me.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
everyone here has given great answers. The #'s assumption is correct. As for the % of BD folks run with and what they say is problematic does depend upon how they drive, where, temps, and quality of the fuel. I brew my own BD at home and run B100 in both mine and Momma's PSD's. I have had no issues related to the fuel or fuel systems. I have run blends again with no issues. I have however run commercially made fuel, and also quality tested it alongside my home brew. Honestly my home brew is cleaner and better quality with a lower cloud point then the ASTM commercial fuel. So my guess could be they have purchased and run lower quality fuels or even had bad petroleum diesel(PD) in their blends and they blame the BD for the problem. Just a guess but thats my answer
Old 12-21-2005, 08:10 PM
New User

smid87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fire rooster Remember this is big oil trying to keep it's foothold, and Bio threatens it. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I would bet they will stop at nothing to discredit Biodiesel. JMHO
Old 12-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
1999, 20, 2011, 50, b100, b20, b20b, b5, biodiesel, buying, engine, f250, ford, fuel, powerstrokes, truck