Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Camping in Ohio??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Ron Kelley
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping in Ohio??

So since nobody replied to the Watkins Glen camping post I thought that maybe I could get some thoughts and ideas about camping here in Ohio.

I personally do a lot of camping in the Andover State Park campground. This is located right on Pymatuming lake. I find that the showers and restrooms are pretty clean and well cared for. I also like the fact that there is a lot of shady sites where you feel a measure of privacy.

How about anybody else. The wife and I are always looking for somewhere else to camp.

RJK

Old 07-12-2005, 05:41 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi and welcome to the chapter

Heres one of my favorite places to go, has alot of things to do, and great fishing and okay boating .

http://indianlake.com/locatormap.htm

there a natural preserve there towards Kings landing also the best place to fish, its quiet and peaceful, and a few places to eat too. The state park is great to camp & boat you can tie your boat up close to your campsite.

there also a small go kart track on the westside of the lake, cool for the kids,
you can also rent boats/pontoons to for the day.

Ceasors creek is another place to go. Ive heard that Wayne national forest is another spot to go to..... http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/u...oh_wayne_3.htm

This could turn out to be a really good thread for this kind of info, thanks for starting this Ron

Ray

Old 07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Ron Kelley
Junior User
Yep your right.

Well I thought that those of us with these old and new trucks would camp. I have camped a few times and have met somebody that has or is restoring some old truck and it makes for a great conversation around the firering. As a matter of fact there was a community garage sale day in my area last month and two guys ended up standing there bsing about the old trucks once they seen my 71 and 77 sitting there. Makes for a good time.

Thanks for the hint about the area near Columbus. Sometimes we meet the inlaws down around there to camp out for the weekend. We have previously gone to the KOA near Mohican but the next time we are going to the state park which is closer to the river and much cheaper.

Have fun and keep it up.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:54 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Ron, since you are from NE Ohio, you may want to check out Indian Creek (I see a theme developing here). They're right near Erie in Geneva-on-the-Lake. You're only a few miles from boat launches (Lake Erie) and from the "Strip" which is a summer-long fair of sorts. Putt-putt, small kiddie amusement park, go-cart track (although nothing will ever replace the OLD go-cart track which was one of the most fun I've ever been on), game rooms, bars, grilles, you get the idea.

I believe this is the website:
http://www.indiancreekresort.com (it wouldn't load up when I tried it)

Randy

Old 07-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Ron Kelley
Junior User
Yes I have visited friends that were camping at indian creek campgrond. We found it a little to busy for our taste. To much activity around there for us. But then again we don't have kids unless you count the 4 legged type.

We just got back this afternoon from camping at the ohio state park campground in Andover. Boy was it a full weekend. Almost every campsite was used. I took the 71 F250 with the slide in truck camper on it and we had a great time. Didn't do anything but sit around and read and take the dogs for walks. It was great.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:37 AM
michaelg6315
Freshman User
i go to Findlay State Park just south of Wellington Ohio. little or no elect hookups but that keeps it a bit quieter.

mg

Old 10-27-2005, 08:13 PM
AllenB
New User
Check out Old Man's Cave in Hocking county...or any camp grounds in that area...it's beautiful. My friend has a farm down there and it's incredible.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've done some light camping with a diesel group from another website. I just have to watch getting into places with a 40ft trailer LOL!
I've been to Wayne National forest where we did some quad riding. As a matter of fact it was around Old Man's Cave(if I remember right). It was a real bear getting around the roads down that area. I couldn't imagine doing it at night like some of the families had to do. We did have a good time, but they had to park my rig up at the activities building only cause I couldn't easily fit anyplace else. But, that was right next to the bonfire pit...so that make it good too.