Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker questions

Old 10-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Iceman_19
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker questions

Ok, I have to replace the gears in my Dana 44 up front. While I am doing this, I figure I may as well put in a locker while I am at it. What is a good locker? Would prefere to pay less then more, but who wouldn't. Anyways, all opinions on the subject would be fantastic.

Also, for the rear end, what would be a better choice? A locker, or a good LSD? I daily drive the truck, so a spool probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
qaswq
New User
Total newbie question here, and I have wondered this for sometime.

What is a spool?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
do you want an automatic locker? or selectable? or a limited slip?

well in a normal factory open differential this is how everything works inside

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefme...t/T623706A.gif

well a spool eliminates the 4 spider gears that allow the axle to differentiate in turns. it locks both axle shafts so that they are always turning no matter what

they are VERY hard to beat offroad b/c there is nothing to break and they are very reliable. instead of buying a spool i welded up both my front and rear axles to act as a spool.

-cutts-

Old 10-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Iceman_19
Freshman User
Well, I know how a spool and a locker work, but I am out to lunch on how a locker would work on thefront on a 4x4. Would it be locked when disengaged and engaged in 4x4? I mean, I know power only goes to the front wheels when its in 4wd, but what would happen when you are tooling around in 2wd? As for the automatic locker, and selectable, what do you mean? Do you mean those electronic ones? I would prefere not to go that way because of price. I would think a detroit locker in the rear would be good, as the wratcheting noise wouldnt bother me, my truck is loud anyways.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
ok here's the low down..... an auto locker (the detroit) it uses a ratcheting action (that you already mentioned) and when one side of the axleshaft loses traction the locker kicks in and locks both sides. well its the same for the front BUT only when the hubs are locked. if you unlock the hubs then no matter what your locker is doing you will be in 2wd. the selectable locker would be locked if you locked it in regardless if your hubs are locked or not. the detroit would only kick in if there was slippage b/t the axleshafts which would require the hubs to be locked

as far as selectables go there is the electric actuated kind (electrac), air actuated (ARB), and cable actuated (OX locker). check around for prices b/c i have found the detroit to be close to the selectables.

i hopei answered your quesiton b/c i wasn't totally clear on what you were asking

dood just weld the front best thing i ever did!

-cutts-

Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Iceman_19
Freshman User
Well, I just finished reading the thread about lock-rite lockers, I think Im going to go with a couple of them.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:19 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
remember to get them through the states as you will get ripped gettin them up here.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Trailcat
Freshman User
Hey Fishman I was thinking about welding the front of my Bronc but I heard that its hard to turn. Exactly how hard is it for you to turn. It's not a daily driver, but my beater for in the woods.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:16 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run spools in both diffs and although mine is strictly off road I can turn just fine in dirt, and it turns ok even on pavement when I have to load it on the trailer. with non ps it would be a little difficult but I really don't see a problem infact last weekend I blew a PS hose so had no power and was still able to turn around at the end of the track just took some effort but when doesn't it take effort without the PS pump working.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
I run spools in both diffs and although mine is strictly off road I can turn just fine in dirt, and it turns ok even on pavement
Isn't your truck setup to have the front end pull the rear?

Old 10-18-2005, 06:33 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iceman_19
Well, I just finished reading the thread about lock-rite lockers, I think Im going to go with a couple of them.
If I were you, I'd run a Dana Power-Lok front and rear, especially since your truck is a daily driver. As long as you are just mudding a bit, that is your best choice. Lockers suck on ice and towing.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Iceman_19
Freshman User
Whats the difference between the dana and the lock-rite?

Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Trailcat
Freshman User
So if I'm not mistaken, it would only make it slightly harder to turn when the hubs are locked right? Because the axles don't move unless the hubs are locked. Everyone in my 4X4 club advised me against welding the front because they said its SO hard to turn, but most of them drive jeeps where the front axles are locked in all the time. Am I correct on that?

Last edited by Trailcat; 10-18-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Trailcat
So if I'm not mistaken, it would only make it slightly harder to turn when the hubs are locked right? Because the axles don't move unless the hubs are locked. Everyone in my 4X4 club advised me against welding the front because they said its SO hard to turn, but most of them drive jeeps where the front axles are locked in all the time. Am I correct on that?
no only a select few with the quadratrac tranny had full time 4 wheel and they weren't even locked all the time.

do you have a big bronco or early bronco?

if you weld just the rear the only time you will ever feel it (other than wintery conditions) is at a gas station, parking lot, or anywhere you make a hard turn and your truck may hop a small bit and make a chirping sound. its actually pretty cool, i loved it! it is NOT hard to turn in the least if done in the rear only. if done on the front it can become difficult to turn esp with large tires (anything bigger than 35's). be careful though, if you weld your front you may seriously want to consider a hydro assist setup (i built mine for less than $150 as opposed to the kits that ask $500 or more). not only will it make it one-finger-turn easy but will take ALL stress off your sector shaft. i busted my shaft when i first welded my front up and mangled everything up front! although if you didn't wanna do the hydro assist setup you can just have one hub locked and the other unlocked (doesn't matter which one) and just have 3 wheel drive. turning is a breeze and if you feel you are about to get in something that may overcome your 3wheel drive get out and lock the other one!

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 10-18-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Trailcat
Freshman User
I have an 89 full size Bronco. I'm only runnin 33's right now but eventually I'm going to 35's. I think I'm gonna weld the front because the only time I'm really worried about the hard turns is driving through town to get to the woods and Iwon't have my hubs locked in town. I will have to look up the hydro assist set up so I can jimmy rig one up for myself. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locker questions