Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 Spark Plugs.... changed them bad boys

Old 10-16-2005, 03:03 PM
valvestud
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 Spark Plugs.... changed them bad boys

Hi all

At 96,000+ I decided to change the plugs on my 2001 Ex using Krewat's great instructions. Went well, but of course the rear most passenger side plugs were the most difficult (time consuming). All old plugs actully looked very good. Gaps were .065" as compared to factory spec. of .054".

My local dealer did not have a part number for the boots without the COP, so I didn't change them. They looked fine and were still soft. All plugs were tight but came out easily. They were already the updated, longer thread design, but the part number on the plug was superceeded by the current one which is AGSF22WMF4. Because I wanted to make sure I got the right plug, I bought them from the dealer at $5.95 each. They can be had for less than $3.00 online.

Having a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool is handy to grab the 7mm screws after they're loose. I also removed the electrical connection from each COP. There's a tab on the bottom of each connector that needs to be pressed upward while holding the connector and then it comes right off.

Take care,

Joe

Old 10-16-2005, 04:53 PM
SuperBlue
Elder User
Did you notice any performance or gas mileage improvements?

Old 10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
valvestud
Senior User
Just changed them today, but since the old ones looked so good, I doubt it'll make much difference. Quick test drive felt the same.

Joe

Old 10-16-2005, 07:52 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
.065" to .054", that's a decent amount of wear. The auto parts place I've been dealing with lately (jobber prices) was able to spec out the boot seperately... I'll be getting plugs/boots in the next week, so I'll post the part #.

Smaller spark plug gaps will advance the timing somewhat - less resistance, the less time needed for hystersis to cause enough voltage to jump the gap. Not to mention the even somewhat greater coating of crud.

Of course, the difference is probably 1/2 a degree of crank timing or less... but every little bit helps!

art k.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:37 PM
jimmeyjack
New User
Originally Posted by valvestud
Hi all

At 96,000+ I decided to change the plugs on my 2001 Ex using Krewat's great instructions. Went well, but of course the rear most passenger side plugs were the most difficult (time consuming). All old plugs actully looked very good. Gaps were .065" as compared to factory spec. of .054".

My local dealer did not have a part number for the boots without the COP, so I didn't change them. They looked fine and were still soft. All plugs were tight but came out easily. They were already the updated, longer thread design, but the part number on the plug was superceeded by the current one which is AGSF22WMF4. Because I wanted to make sure I got the right plug, I bought them from the dealer at $5.95 each. They can be had for less than $3.00 online.

Having a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool is handy to grab the 7mm screws after they're loose. I also removed the electrical connection from each COP. There's a tab on the bottom of each connector that needs to be pressed upward while holding the connector and then it comes right off.

Take care,

Joe
Or 2.49 at autozone And the # was correct. 60.00 BUCKS FOR PLUGS!

Last edited by jimmeyjack; 10-16-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Search this Thread