Bidiesel in PSD

Old 10-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bidiesel in PSD

I have looked at 90% of the threads in this forum and I've been unable to discern a concensus.

It would be nice to know:

1. How many of you are using Biodiesel in a PSD?

2. Is your truck 6.0 or 7.3?

3. How long have you been running Biodiesel?

4. What mix are you running?

If you will reply to this post by question number I will tabulate the results on a weekly basis.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
I have looked at 90% of the threads in this forum and I've been unable to discern a concensus.

It would be nice to know:

1. How many of you are using Biodiesel in a PSD?

2. Is your truck 6.0 or 7.3?

3. How long have you been running Biodiesel?

4. What mix are you running?

If you will reply to this post by question number I will tabulate the results on a weekly basis.

Let me be the first; #2,7.3 #3, 18 mo #4 B-100. FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:48 PM
bczolone
Elder User
huh? i'd like to know too, because i make the stuff, but i won't run it in my 2004, i just read about too many problems and not enough good data on DI fords using B100.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2004 6.0.
have run every ratio from a B2 blend up to straight B100 from a pump and homemade.
never has an issue but i do change fuel filters @ every 10K miles as opposed to the usual 15K limit.
Runs quiter with more bio.
Power feels the same.

Am gonna make my own soon. My goal is to make a super high cetane formula at home.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:45 PM
scole250
Senior User
Anybody with a PSD still under warranty worried about repairs not being covered? First, I'll say that my 99 7.3 cost me less than $1,000 out of pocket over 6 years, so I do believe in their reliability (that's $1,000 worth of Ford Quality Care parts and labor ). But I now have an 05 6.0 and my local Ford dealer told me that if I ran more than the recommended blend of 5% Biodiesel the warranty would not cover any repairs that might possibly be related to running Biodiesel. That included injectors, EGR valve, fuel pump, cat, on and on. Now I wouldn't take my truck in for repair and announce I was running B100. Could they tell? Anyone had to deal with that yet?

I've read posts claiming B100 is great for a PSD. Those of you who say so, are you diesel techs and offering an informed opinion? Like others, I'm trying to sift through the many comments that contradict each other and figure out whether it's safe to run B100 and not risk paying big bucks for repairs.

Last edited by scole250; 10-19-2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Willie19992000
New User
I am also wondering about burning the Bio in my 99 powerstroke,,,I have run about 80 gallons thru it and am satisfied with the results and I guess at 50 cents a gallon cheaper I wil continue to do so unless I hear something really negative about it

Old 10-20-2005, 03:05 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scole250
Anybody with a PSD still under warranty worried about repairs not being covered? First, I'll say that my 99 7.3 cost me less than $1,000 out of pocket over 6 years, so I do believe in their reliability (that's $1,000 worth of Ford Quality Care parts and labor ). But I now have an 05 6.0 and my local Ford dealer told me that if I ran more than the recommended blend of 5% Biodiesel the warranty would not cover any repairs that might possibly be related to running Biodiesel. That included injectors, EGR valve, fuel pump, cat, on and on. Now I wouldn't take my truck in for repair and announce I was running B100. Could they tell? Anyone had to deal with that yet?

I've read posts claiming B100 is great for a PSD. Those of you who say so, are you diesel techs and offering an informed opinion? Like others, I'm trying to sift through the many comments that contradict each other and figure out whether it's safe to run B100 and not risk paying big bucks for repairs.

Valid concerns but your not gonna get the holy grail permission from Ford.
Face it, the big automakers are slow to embrace bio except for Cat and some of the other heavy equipment makers who actually extend your warranty if you use B100.
B5 is barely bio. Its a good start but if your nervous just keep paying the high prices of fuel until your out of warranty.
To answer your question Ford does routinely take a fuel sample when a big ticket warranty repair comes in.
Although i'm not a certified tech i do beleive i have an informed opionion as a diesel nut and bio user.
And i did stay at a Holiday Inn last night
Alot of guys give advice on Bio and have never used it.
The key with Bio is quality contol.
I wouldn't put some sketchy pump fuel or bio in my tank no matter what.
Some small gas stations could have algae in their fuel.
I once was near the mexical border in cali and the gas stations inline filters were so clogged that the diesel would barely flow out of the nozzle.
I had prepaid for $20.
I went inside and the guy said oh okay ,try another pump.
I declined and got my $$ back.
You see my point?
Bad fuel is available at alot of places.

So for you i would only try Bio in small amounts, lets say B20 from a known vendor or from your own brewing. I took a workshop class on how to do it and testing your product along the process is the best way to not have bad fuel.

Remember one thing.
Biodiesel tends to scrub carbon buildup out of your fuel system so its widely known to change your fuel filters after 1 or 2 tanks of running bio to rid the carbon crap out of your filters.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:23 PM
tkyllo
New User
We have just started using bio in our trucks at work with mixed results. As for the psd, our 2000 7.3 is running as normal on b50, and all is good.

The 2005 had a tank of b75, which we could not even burn out. After the 4th filter plugged, we dropped the tank and drained it. We changed out filters (and oil while it was laid up), put the tank in and refilled with regular diesel, and it runs, but not good. Probably going to Ford to check injectors.

In my Pete, I've got 4000 miles on b50, and haven't had any trouble, filters or otherwise.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I've been running bio from my regular fuel supplier. I've had no problems even at the B20 level. But my only concern was with fords max B5 so I backed off to the B5 level. I have a farm and have 6 diesel engines some with over 7000 hrs. Even those engines ran better on the bio rather than the staright dino.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:18 PM
tkyllo
New User
Running b75 in our 2005 King Ranch just cost $3600. 6 injectors are junk. All of my other trucks and loaders handle b50 just fine, but the 6.0 fell on it's face.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
skibender
Senior User
Originally Posted by tkyllo
Running b75 in our 2005 King Ranch just cost $3600. 6 injectors are junk. All of my other trucks and loaders handle b50 just fine, but the 6.0 fell on it's face.

Was the BD the actual cause of the injector failures? What happened to the injectors?

Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM
bczolone
Elder User
I think it has to do with the injectors and their design to pump diesel vs. biodiesel. I thought I saw a company in Washington that actually swaps out the new injectors for ones that are designed to handle bio also, in place of the factory injectors. As I stated in the past the studies I read were concerned with injector carbon deposits over B50 on the newer DI motors.

Along those same lines I did read online somewhere (i get lost) that Bosch stated officially that their injector pumps will not be affected by B100, and infact will honor any warrenty irregardless of the bio content.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:01 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bio will knock all carbon out. It may even fix the buildup probs with egr, turbo solinoids, and injector malfunctions.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:28 PM
bigfry
Senior User
Hey, I got to check out a clear diesel fuel at syntroleum at the port of catoosa, in oklahoma. I'm a crane operator and was working on a project there and they showed me what looked like a glass of water, but they said it was diesel. Then a few days after that I saw on the news them talking about it. Guess its supposed to burn real clean and have other positive properties.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My uncle deals with large corp that super clean everything fuel and oils. They are expesive to purchase for the little guy but you can certainly superfilter the dino to get it clear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bidiesel in PSD