General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Its finally time..................

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 11:39 AM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I finally got the mustang done and ready for paint going to shoot it next weekend in my friends shop going with opal frost pearl met. expensive but pretty. can't afford to make any mistakes with this one it cost $55.00 a quart for the base color with out thinner clear and hardner!!!! It will end up costing me about 450.00 in materials to paint this car but after next weekend I can start working on the 40. John

Old 03-11-2001, 09:41 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru

Be sure and put up a pic somewhere after your done.

alanscott

[link:ford-trucks.com/users/alanscott/|http://www.ford-trucks.net/users/alanscott/clubftesml.jpg]...Click!

Old 03-11-2001, 10:00 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Yeah, if you could see what this poor car went thru it is really amazing how far it has come now if the 40 comes out this nice I'll be in heaven!!!!!LOL John

Old 03-12-2001, 09:05 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Alanscott, here is a picture of it before i got it John

Old 03-12-2001, 09:09 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

And here is a picture before I started this time!!!! John

Old 03-14-2001, 06:23 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru

i've got one of those babies in my back yard, but i think its too late to save her, i'm gonna try this summer to remove her from her hiding place and put her back together, i mean she is in bad bad shape, but i hope i can peice it together, seeing the pics of what you have done to yours, being completely totalled, it makes me belive that a little body work and some hard spent time can do miricles, because mine is only rusted up a bit, and needs new floorpans... im pretty sure i can get her together with the right support! *perfect thing for a mustang 5.0 *H.O.* carburated dont ya think? or should i put the efi that i was gonna use on my truck on her? i think i'll go carbed because thats how it came stock *h.o.* or not Shes a 1968 california limited according to the title... sounds like a hot collectors item! thank you for reviving my idea... thanx so so much.. now i know it isn't impossible!
F.O.R.D
For Offroad Rebel Driving

Old 03-14-2001, 06:58 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

desperado, If you have a California special better to rebuild it exactly the way it came from the factory and make sure you do it right dont hack it up it is a big money car all completed!!!!
John

Old 03-14-2001, 07:01 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru

ok will do, but is she worth saving, its been sitting in the back yard uncovered since the 80's sometime, like when i was 7 or 8... its been well over a decade... i want to fix her, but i don't know.. please let me know if it will be time well spent or not?
F.O.R.D

Old 03-14-2001, 07:13 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Desperado, Mine sat wrecked like that for 13 years and I just bought one for my son that sat for 15 years!!! as long as you want the car go for it!!!! don't build it to try to make money on because it isn't worth it you get a better return in the bank.
The California special was a special edition car only in 68 to help bolster the sales in california it had scoops on the sides like the shelby and a stripe right down the middle of the side and emblems on the quarters that said California special there was also one for colorado called the high mountain special very rare cars. but they are expensive to rebuild (properly) I have some pictures of a California special I will see if I can get one up for you. John

Old 03-15-2001, 12:10 AM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru

its definetly got those side scoops *love em* the logo's and all are missing, i still got the pony up front and the grill all the trim, her motor and tranny... interior needs some touchup me and my dad planned to fix this thing since i was 14, nothing ever came of it except for 2 summers we did a little to it, moved it around some but id love to hear her start up and move... i might just do a custom job.. *i'd hate to but it depends on parts availability and budget* because there aren't very many of these older ponies running around down here its usally new tech and the older fox chassis running amuck on the streets. its also got a slight hoodscoop... i'll even let you have the info on why she was parked, when my dad bought the car for my mom, it had a radiator leak and a vaccum leak *didn't notice the radiator* till later, and anyway we had it running and she saw the leak and told him not to fix it, so it got put in the back yard and has sat there since, i've seen it move 2 times since we've owned it other than me towing it back out of the gully its sitting in, the only difficulty i'm gonna have trying to do this is finding somewhere to put it out of the weather so i can work on it anytime i happen to be free. sorry for the rant but i really love these things and i think its cool that people share my opinions and support me for what i'm trying to do... thanks john!
F.O.R.D

Old 03-16-2001, 11:08 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-18-2001, 05:23 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

well, here it is all done in opal frost pearl the pictures don't show the flip but it looks like an opal when the sun hits it shades of green purple blue and silver John

Old 03-18-2001, 08:17 PM
1966ford
Senior User

Nice!

Garrett
[link:www.1966ford.com|1966ford.com]

Old 03-18-2001, 08:22 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Garrett, thats what 2 1/2 years alot of dollars and countless split knuckles and hours have brought forth.LOL it was fun really had some tough blocks to stumble over but I have come through basically un scathed........ John

Old 03-18-2001, 10:05 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru

That looks pretty good, what type of paint did you use? When I paint something, the guys at the paint shop laugh at me for being old fashioned and sticking to lacquer, that and my Binks #7 paint gun I figure that if I goof it up, it's easy enough to buff it out.

alanscott

[link:ford-trucks.com/users/alanscott/|http://www.ford-trucks.net/users/alanscott/clubftesml.jpg]...Click!

Quick Reply: Its finally time..................