Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2005, 06:31 PM
New User

bkeence is starting off with a positive reputation.
02 Explorer cranks but will not start

Hi, my wifes Explorer is failing to start. She ran several errands today with lots of starting and stopping. The truck is setting in the driveway and will not start. It cranks fine, once it sounded like it was trying to start but it didn't.
We had this happen about a week ago, the dealer said it needed a master reset or reprogrammed the processor they said. They did that and we thought all was well, but it has done it again.

Any ideas of the problem and what I can do to fix it? The dealer said it will probably start in the morning, if it does we are to bring it in and get a loaner and they will work on it Monday.

Thanks for any help

Brian
Old 10-15-2005, 11:32 AM
New User

Blown fuel pump fuse

Went out this morning and it still wouldn't start. I checked the fuse in the PDC for the fuel pump and it was burnt. New fuse and started right up.
Question: Why did the fuse blow? Just the fuse? Fuel pump? - Has anyone ever replaced the fuel pump fuse and all was good?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 10-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sometimes a fuse will just blow for no good reason. About 15 years ago while towing a travel trailer the cruise control on my 87 Ranger quit. Replaced the cig lighter/horn/cruise control fuse & no more problems.

If that new fuse blows you'll need the wiring diagrams for the pump circuit & any other circuits that are wired to the same fuse to find the problem.

On a 97 the pump & "remote anti-theft personality module" are wired to the same fuse.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:49 PM
New User

Thanks 87 XLT - We used the truck off and on today and it did fine. Maybe the fuse DID go for no good reason.

Brian
Old 10-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Postmaster

srercrcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Won't start

Well, my had the same symptom yesterday....drove many miles, running perfectly all the while, like it always has done since new in 2000.
Parked at the mall, came out, cranked very strongly, but not "catching" at all.
After a few minutes, cranked it, and it started up immediately like it always does. So mine can't be the fuse. To me it sounds like something in the distributor going bad, so when it is working, everything is perfect. But if it decides to not work, it dies completely.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 PM
New User

I know it's hard to fix it when it's not broke. That's the same thing that happened the first time with mine. They did reprogram it, but it had already started again before that. They said there were no codes. Sheeeesh! However, since the fuse replacement on mine it has run flawlessly.

Good luck.

Brian
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 PM