Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Bronco II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bronco II Ford Bronco II

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Junior User

madclone is starting off with a positive reputation.
main and rod bearing wear - low oil press. +

Maybe a week ago or so I wrote 'bout my problem - low oil pressure in 2.9 EFI. It did not go higher than 2.5 atm, when it should be somewhere between 3 & 4 ATM at 2000 RPM. Anyway, I opened the oil pan and took off the covers from main and rod bearings. Initially I was aimed to change MAIN bearings, but was very surprised to see, that they look OK - the surface is matt "alluminum" color, no scratches or evident surface defects. When I opened rod bearing covers and took a glance at the bearings - WOW! They're dead. Lots of scratches, the surface has "copper" color in some spots. Now I try to figure out how could that happen. As far as I understand main bearings are more likely to wear off. What do you guys think? Maybe previous owner already swapped main bearings? (unfortunately I can't contact him)
Another question is: do rod bearings affect oil pressure drastically? If I swap only them, will this significantly increase oil pressure?
I rely on your clever advise, Comrades

PS Forgive my English - I'm from Russia
Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Post Fiend

Ken00 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Ken00 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From what I've read the cam bearings and a clogged oil pump screen are the most common causes of low oil pressure in the 2.9.
2002 XLT Std Cab Long Bed 3.0
1989 Custom Std Cab Short Bed 2.9
Old 10-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
for what they cost I would replace the mains too, and you might find that the upper shell has more wear on it than the one you can see just by removing the main caps but Ken is right the cam bearings are also a major wear spot in these engines, and probably need replaced too which pretty much requires removing the engine. good news is you can do a ring, and bearing job on it for under $150 in parts if the cylinders aren't worn too bad and basically have a new bottom end.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Elder User

ken1mod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi
I am a transplant from the aerostar forum. Last month I changed main and rod bearings on my 4.0 liter, 1991 'star. 182000 miles and box of rox noisy but good running.

Mains were perfect, like they were installed yesterday, maybe this morning. Rod beatings were worn through3 layers of metal. replaced them and returned mains. Interesting experience, check out my main and rod bearing post on the aerostar site. engine still has original noise, I believe it is piston related.

Ken
Old 10-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Elder User

ken1mod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry, I should add that main bearings lead a much easier life than rod bearings. they are larger and oiled continuously, not just in spritzes as the oil holes line up. they also don't have the centrifugal loads that rod beaings have and rod bearings are smaller. Mains last much longer than rod bearings.

Ken
Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Junior User

madclone is starting off with a positive reputation.
2 monsterbaby

my engine is half-removed it holds only to wire harness, fuel and AC lines. To get to the cranckshaft I had to lift it up 20 cm. To get to the camshaft I have to take the front cover off, right? And then pull it out of the bore? Can I get the camshaft out without taking off cylinder heads and valve rods/lifters?

2 ken1mod

comrade, please give me a link on your toipc, if possible. I'm not sure I can find it
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
To get the cam out you have to remove the intake, rockers, pushrods, and lifters. as well as the timing cover, and timing chain. Then to replace teh cam bearings takes a special bearing driver made for the application so your probably gonna have to take the block to the machine shop.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 AM