1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chevy guts in Fords

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy guts in Fords

I know this tends to be a heated topic but I was just curious as to why? Why what? Well I always (prob like you guys) check out Ebay, local sales, Craigslist.com, Recycler.com, etc... to look for parts and to see what other F100s are out there. Almost 8-10 times these trucks are sporting a 305 or 350 Chevy motor. Is there a reason that so many people use a Chevy block as opposed to a Ford? Even when they aren't using a Chevy front clip.....I can't imagine maintanence is easier, or it is more reliable? Ehh just curious, I have seen some really nice trucks then they pop their hoods and there it is...

Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well. The simple fact is.. Chevy Cost less.. And there more modular than Ford.. I know with My Chevy trucks that I can go to and truck car bus that running a 350 and find a waterpump thats going to bolt on 99.99% of the time... And Its easyer to mach up other parts,, IE tranny..

Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
chevies are cheaper to build.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Joe, you're right, this will end up being a heated discussion. The small block chevy is cheap and plentiful and has a rear sump oil pan. Now-a-days I don't think its that much cheaper to build one than it is a small block ford. One nice things about building the SBC (and you ford guys will know wht I'm talkign about here) is that every engine bolts to every tranny, you don't have to match your flywheels to your starters, you don't have to worry about having the right distributor drive gear, or the madness of brackets and pulley combinations.

Personally I like the SBC, especially in a tri5 chevy (I used to run a 55 at the strip). I can pretty much appreciate any engine in any vehicle. There are some really cool powertrain options out there. For my current project (49 F1) I am running 500ci of Caddy power. I do get tired of seeing the "belly-button" cars and trucks of which you speak where everything is a 350/350 combo and painted red. It gets about as tiring as seeing all the fake adobe houses painted pink and turquoise with howling coyotes and kokopelis decorating every square inch of every house out here in New Mexico

OK, ok, I'm off of my soap box now and someone else can take a turn at it. Thats my 2 cents

Enjoy your truck!!
Bobby

Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
chevies are cheaper to build.
But I still want nothing less than a Ford in my Ford. When the total cost of my truck is considered I don`t mind the very few extra bucks to have it all Ford. The only time it would cost any significant amount more is when all out racing is a factor which for me it isn`t. I like my vehicles basically stock with maybe a manifold, cam and headers added.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:46 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Yeah I'd rather rock a ford in my truck but its all preferance. I really wasn't sure what the pros vs. cons were of this particular swap but it's so common I figured it was sumpthing about cost etc. I still am learning alot about everything car related so thanks for answering my noob question. I've mentioned my dads friend has a show quality 56 Big window, and the first time he showed it to me I was in amazement, then I asked so what are you running and he showed me a mildly built 305. I dont know, but it just didn't feel right, but on the other hand my 460 is a costly beast. =)

Right now I have my daily up for sale and was either going to invest in disc brakes, suspension, and whatever else I could do for about 4k. Or... I was going to sell my truck and daily and buy another f100 that is a little more finished, thats what prompted the question.

Last edited by JoeSwing78; 10-11-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:34 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I would sum up the reasons as:

1. They fit easily
2. They are cheap
3. Like navels; most everyone has one!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I grew up (?) on winning dirt cars with flatheads, y-blocks and ultimately FE 427s, I have never considered anything else for power. It was always a great feeling to win races while the ''belly button'' motors raced for second.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
I grew up (?) on winning dirt cars with flatheads, y-blocks and ultimately FE 427s, I have never considered anything else for power. It was always a great feeling to win races while the ''belly button'' motors raced for second.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........FE427.......mmmmmmmmmm

ooops, now I have a big puddle of drool to clean up

Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
oldjeep
Senior User
In my case it's because the drivetrains are so cheap and easy to adapt to the older Fords.

14 Bolt GM dually rear - bolts right in and is the right width $100
C30 IFS - pretty easy to graft on, I don't even want to think about adapting a TTB front end.
Olds 455 - CHEAP and powerful. 460's cost $$$$$ around here
TH400 - CHEAP and pretty much unbreakable. Big block C6 $$$$$$

The reason I'm building a Ford truck is the body, they look so much better than the Chevy stuff.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you're right Bobby, if I had an FE427 right now I think I would have to build a hotrod around it. Friend of mine back east has a '70 Maverick with a cammer in it, the thing could probably be classified as a weapon.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:35 AM
8Flat
Senior User
Yeah, in my mind Ford really screwed up by making all these engines, trannies, and brackets different and mostly in-compatible. It's a true hodge-podge of combos. Heck, from what I'm told even 351's are built different (Windsor, Cleveland, etc) In terms of how much extra expense this created for Ford in terms of re-tooling add-ons for different bolt patterns, extra stocking costs, etc, I'm surprised Henry let this happen. After all, this is the guy who invented the assembly line for the ultimate in efficiency! It makes no sense. In my mind, that is the ultimate reason why people get fed up with it and just throw in a simple Chebby, and it is Ford's own dang fault.

Don't get me wrong, to me it would be worth the headache to keep these vehicles all Ford, but I can sure see why a lot of people give up and use a different drive train.

Gary

Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Why waste something as wonderful and exotic as a cammer in a Maverick???
I guess it would make one heck of a sleeper

the cammer is one of those engines I'd love to have, even just as a static display. If I had one I'd have to build some kind of hotrod around it also, perferrably somethign with open sides so you could see that monster.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:52 AM
8Flat
Senior User
Wait a minute, Henry Ford died in 1947. Soon after is when this whole menagerie of engine designs started....maybe it's HenryII's fault....hahaha.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
by.Ah dont forget Henry Ford died in 1947. He would have probably be upset about so many different engines an engine combinations. Now what would Henry think about somebody putting a Chevy engine in one off his Fords. Im sure he wouldnt be happy at all. So would if Chevy people were putting Fords in there vehicles. Now that wouldnt happen wouldnt it. Im all for originality a Ford in a Ford a Chevy in Chevy. Yah its easy putting a cheap Chevy engine in but Im lookin for a Challenge. Its a Ford. Ford all the way baby

Quick Reply: Chevy guts in Fords