Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I've failed. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've failed. . .

I feel I owe everyone a reason for my slackness around here for the last month. . .and an appology. One of the most important things as a chapter leader is to not get frustrated. Well, I've felt like I have been spitting in the wind here for awhile. I tried to think of new ways to expand involement, I thought maybe a store and website would give us some legitimacy and people would get excited and that would lead to more involment, same idea behind bumper stickers and logos, I thought maybe officers could help out (not to many volunteers). . .then I thought regions might get more people active, that seems to have been a flop. . .trying to chat up the forum seems to be a pointless endeavour. I've tried to encourage others to make there own local meets becuase I won't always have the time to be activites coordinator, but to no avail. I've even sent out dozens upon dozens of personal invites to other Virginians. . . Most resently was the 2nd State Meeting. I was hoping that it would spark something in the chapter, but it was just a little disaapointing. I'm very happy that some members decided to go though

Until I started classes again, I could look past the negative and keep from getting too discouraged and keep on trudging along. . .but with the added stresses of working full time and going to night classes and the fact I've got my own priorities all screwed up, the frustration builds. Everytime I come in here to only see one new post a week and no new threads, all I can think about is the time and effort that went into this and I just leave. I'm sorry for that, I should be bigger than that but I can't help it right now.

What am I doing wrong? What am I doing right? Have I done anything to scare people away? What can I do? Am I just expecting too much?

I'm out of ideas. . .I don't know what else to do for the Virginia Chapter. Theres something great here, but I just don't know how to kick the VAC square in the **** to get it moving.

Theres a lot of personal issues that I'm leaving out, its not all the VAC's fault. If anything its my fault. I shouldn't have let it build to this point, but I did and it has. . .I need to take a week or 3 breather and not give much thought to this place while I try to work things out. I doubt you'll see me much in the forums as well, maybe to just answer PM's. I'm not giving up, and I'm not walking away. . .and I'm not quite sure to end this post. I'm thinking faster than I'm typing and this whole thing is just going every which way

If you guys feel you'd be better served by a better chapter leader, don't be afraid to speak up, I hold no grudges.

See you guys in a little while

Steve A.K.A "Franken-Truck"

Last edited by Franken-Truck; 10-01-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Violjohn78
Senior User
Well I i'm glad that you've done what you've done so far. I think small things are starting up for local groups to get together. I think prob one thing at least in my situation is that gas pricing has hurt my involvement. I really dont' see a problem in smaller groups getting together and think that is the way things will happen.

I completly understand "life" getting and takign away time from other things, it's happened to me in other hobbies that i'm involved in. I do appreciate the work that you've done. Thanks Steve

Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 AM
yomow
Elder User
The reason for me is I now work a full time job & still work 30 + hours at the mower shop i own ! No time right now to do my internet thing but it will change in the next 3-4 month's, Trans. out of thr truck truck has been sitting for all summer what a shame that is all the money tied up & sitting there !!!! IT will be ready in the spring though.

Don Cross

Old 10-02-2005, 04:14 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, man. ***** happens. I couldn't make it, you couldn't make it- homework, kids barfing, paychecks.

We had a great time in Shennandoah, the drag race was a blast. You did a great job as Chapter Leader on those. You did a great job organizing Richmond; the location, the food, the date, everything. It just didn't work out for everyone.

Why not retry when the leaves really start turning?

Old 10-03-2005, 11:07 AM
sardog
Junior User
i havent been in this chapter very long but i must say from what i have seen i am still impressed. everyone has things that come up, and there isnt much that can be done about it but move on.

good job
jason

Old 10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Rexman
Senior User
i think one of the main problems is that there is so few of us spread apart so far.. i'm all the way up near DC, about 20 min. from it.. not to mention, i haven't even had time to fix my leaky gas tank.. i've had the new plastic tank and sending unit/pump for the last month and a half, but haven't even had an hour or two to install it.. it also makes it hard that i'm into hondas, too, so i reserve "meet" time for the honda more so than the truck, cause usually they are closer. oh well. next time.. don't give up now, i only blame myself, not you..

Old 10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
gpeade
Elder User
Steve, i'm right there with ya on being disappointed at the activity on the site.
Granted I have not done any physical work but as you know I put up a post for a central region and got only 2 or 3 people to respond to that. I know more than three poeple in central VA view this site.
It can be very discouraging.

But I must tip my hat to you and say thanks!!!!
If it were not for you we would not be where we are now. I sincerely thank you for all your work and effort and you do what you feel is necessary. If I never see you post here again I will still remember that it was you that got this whole thing going.

Take a break for a few then see how you feel.
thanks again,
summer

p.s. I hope I do see you posting here again.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:45 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Personally, I don't think you are doing a poor job at all and have not failed a bit. Virginia is a big state so travel time and gas prices are a big factor in any get together. (plus being in NY now doesn't help). So hang in there Steve, you are doing a good job.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree Steve, I think you have done a great job so far..and remember Rome wasnt built in a day either... I think you taking it out on yourself is Tea Totally wrong..

You have no reason to blame yourself...Most of are Trucks are secondary to are families..and the gas prices have hurt everyone..Most just do well to have enough gas to go to and from work...and alot of people here where I live are getting ready for winter now....But on an up note..We do have at least 4 guys in my area..that would like to get together..It may just be a beer drinkin BS session....But its a start!!

I'am not asking the guys for a Miricle turn out..Not this time anyway!! LOL.. But the more little one's we get going even if just a few show up..and we have a good time..the word will spread and more will follow wanting to get in on the fun and action..Keep your head up and keep on keeping on!! your doing a fine Job Steve!!

Working around the Smith Mountain Lake area!!

Russ

Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Hi! Whats going on? Just chillin' on my end!

You guys have no idea how much of a relief it was just to be able to post that! Its like the over flowing toilet in my brain was flushed, and everythings 2000 Flushes Blue now. . .you know, big weight off the chest and all that. Its also amazing how much stress can compound memories and experience and really blow it out of proportion. I look at my original post, and damn! I think I really went over board with that Oh well, a little public venting has worked nicely, priorities are being worked on with a clear head and I'm going to take the advise of a fellow chapter leader whos dealing with a similar problem. I can only do so much, best to let it grow on its own for now

Originally Posted by gpeade
If I never see you post here again . . .
Y'all will have to drag me outta here kicking and screaming to keep me away from the VAC & FTE Even when I was pissed, I couldn't stay away, hehe.

After a little stretching, I think I'll have to start spamming this place up again here in the next couple days!

Guys, I really appreciate what you said! Its nice to know you all appreciate whats been done and makes it all worth while Glad to be in the same club as such a great bunch of people

PS-Don't see much happening for the rest of the year, but spring is the season of new beginings or something, wink wink

Old 10-05-2005, 09:01 PM
65vamonster
Senior User
I know I for one am glad you are the chapter leader. I probably could not put all the time in that you have. I too also have other hobbies that get in the way. Racing got in the way of me going to the state meet recently. It is definetely not a lack of effort on your part. I would like to do a mini hampton roads meet. Breakfast or beer at someone's house. I may not think of many ideas, but if you need help shoot me a PM.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 PM
bikerdei
Senior User
Steve,

You have done a great job with this. As you can see, I'm lucky to check my mail every couple of days and most times I don't take the time to come look at the site or to post. Keep up the good work.

Maybe we can get the tidewater boys together this fall, nothing fancy just a BS session some where, hell we could do it at my house some Saturday if people wanted.

Again thanks for what you do.

Scott

Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody fails. Ain't such a thing, trust me.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:22 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice description- overflowing toilet. Is 2000 Flushes Blue anything like Ford blue?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It often helps to simply vent. The human psyche is like a bottle that can only stand up to so much pressure - and when bottled up must eventually explode...

He is well in tune with his inner being who knows when to find a private place to "Rip the Cork Out", and see what has caused so much trouble inside.

We all have a certain amount of "Coping" abilities. But when the inflow exceeds what we can process - guess what happens?

+5 PSI.
+15 PSI.
+150 PSI...

You got to find your release, else you blow your top!

(Gee, how do I know?)

Quick Reply: I've failed. . .