4.6L problems loss of power, ticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Bad2ThBone78
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L problems loss of power, ticking

Hello, I have a 4.6L V8 in my 03' expedition, and today it gave a lot of trouble. In fact I had to nurse it to a gas station. Recently I noticed a ticking sound, consistent with the rpms of the engine near the lower left hand side of the engine. Today, after work, the ticking got much louder and I started to notice a gradual loss of power as well as ruff idling when stopped. My check engine light is also flashing. Any sugestions on what this might be. It has 70,000 miles on it. thanks in advanced - Chris

Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 PM
whimsey
Senior User
It sounds like you have a sparkplug that is about to launch itself right out of the head or did already. DO NOT drive this truck until you check all the sparkplugs for correct tightness. You'll need a inch/pound torque wrench. I'm getting a "light" sounding tick coming through the firewall of my 2002 with the 4.6. But I only have 25,000 miles on the truck . The ticking also increases in frequency as the engine speed picks up. It's much quieter at idle. The first chance I'm going to get to check the plugs is on next Monday or Tuesday. I've noticed it now for several weeks at least, but it doesn't seem to get worse. Other than a "new" spark knock it runs ok.

What were your EXACT symptoms and how long did you notice them before this incident. Was the ticking real loud previously? Or was it faint but noticable? Did you notice spark knock where you never had any before? Were there any other noises/symptoms leading up to this? When you say "left" do you mean the driver's side or the passenger's side? Any feedback you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Whimsey

Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Bad2ThBone78
Junior User
hey whimsey...by left i mean passenger side. My ticking is loudest at idle, and speeds up with the rpms of the engine, at high r's its quiet or nearly able to be heard, it might be a plug, i'll have to check them for tightness...the ticking has been going on for several weeks, it sounds like its either coming from the left (passenger)head or in that general area. Its not a manifold leak tick or a belt tick though, sounds internal. today it got lots louder and i noticed gradual loss of power and a flashing engine light. as well as a rough idle

Old 10-12-2005, 06:10 AM
whimsey
Senior User
#3 sparkplug is the one that gets launched usually. It's the third one from the front on the passenger's side. Also #6 on the driver's seems to be a weak one also. But it's usually #3 that goes. Good luck and let me know the outcome, I'd appreciate it. I'll check mine for tightness in a few days. I hope it holds till then and the da*n rain stops . It's interesting your's seems to make the ticking just opposite of mine. I would love for someone else who had lost a plug to let us know what their symptons where.

Whimsey

Old 10-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Bad2ThBone78
Junior User
hey whimsey - turns out..you were right. I have 2 plugs loose. I would of found it myself but it was already at the gas station. mech says I blew to coils? and which are $200 a peice and 2 platnum spark plugs which he says is $100 each. $600 worth a damage ...does this sound right to you? thanks again whimsey..you were dead on with the problem - Chris

Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM
whimsey
Senior User
Woa! Major super rip off ! Even with labor thrown in with the $600 it still seems expensive. The coils at the the Ford dealer I believe are around $100 each and the plugs are around $10 each. And Ford's prices are a major rip off. I'd get a tow truck and have the truck towed to your driveway or a mechanic you can trust. What 2 sparkplugs blew? Was it #3 and #6? You can get the coils at Advance Auto or Auto Zone for around $60/ea. The Motorcraft plugs should cost around $5 each. If you decide to change all your plugs by all means get the factory Mortorcraft plugs. They work the best in these motors. Use anti-sieze, SPARINGLY, on the plug threads and dielectric grease on the coil boots. And use a inch/pound torque wrench to tighten the plugs to the correct specs. I hope the spark plug threads in the head are not damaged.

Good luck and let me know how you make out. And I'd REALLY appreciate if you let me know what 2 plugs blew.

Whimsey