Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Co Springs - Lift install. Anyone want to make some weekend cash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:26 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Co Springs - Lift install. Anyone want to make some weekend cash?

I live in Colorado Springs, and I am looking for some who'd like to make some extra money on a weekend.

I have a 2000 Excursion V10 4x4, and a Pro Comp 6.5" lift sitting in my garage. I'm looking for someone to do the install for me, since I am deployed to Iraq right now. My wife would be able to drop the truck off at your house/shop, and pick it up when it's done.

Also to be installed at the same time as the lift: superlift front bumper spacers, dual steering stabilizer, front skid plate, remaining three hoop steps (managed to get one installed before I deployed), and rear tail light guards.

Reply here if you're interested in helping me out! Of course, I won't be there to provide extra hands (get in the way) during the install, since I am enjoying dust and wind in Iraq. You'll also need all your own tools, as I cannot provide any. If you need to rent anything (pitman arm puller, grinder), we'll include that in what you're paid.

Or - if you have a recommendation for a good shop at a fair price (in Colorado Springs, please), I'd be indebted as well.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited by BIGRNU; 10-19-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:24 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark, I think 4wheel parts does good installs. Most of the people I know who get bigger lifts take it to 4WP. I dunno about prise though.

I can't take on that big of a project. But it's cool to see someone so trustworthy of other peoples installs. Only other major 4WD shops in town are Predator, Tanner, and FWP. I know Predator is expensive.

How is that Iraq sand treating ya?!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:17 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
I'm actually surprised so many people are scared to do a lift install on an excursion. After all - it's 4 leaf springs, 4 shocks, 1 pitman arm, and lower the front swaybar brackets. That's about it. Sure it's a big truck - but as long as you have a good jack, two sets of jack stands, air tools, and a torque wrench, you're about set.

Fortunately, I have access to all of that - plus a lift, once I get back from the sandbox. So... I'll probably end up doing the install myself. Might have to see if I can get a little help with lugging the new springs into place, and getting the track bar back into the darn hole. I don't anticipate any problems beyond that... As long as the pitman arm comes off nicely. I've heard occasionally of some sweat and blood lost on those.

The rest of the install (skid plate, steering stabilizer, hoop steps, etc) will be another day's work - but still nothing requiring any expensive special tools or mechanical ability.

I've checked with 4 Wheel Parts - but I am hesitant with their inconsistency of information. Originally, I told them I wanted to run 37" tires. They said I'd need to run at least an 8" lift. After talking to Explorer Pro Comp directly, I was informed that their 6.5" lift would actually raise my Excursion 7.5-8.5", and it would fit 37" tires under it wonderfully. BTW - Pro Comp's information is not terribly consistent, either. Their site says 37" tires with 6.5" of lift - but the instructions for the kit say 35" tires for 6.5" of lift.

And then there was the question of whether my truck already had a lift or leveling kit on it (bought my X used with 305/70/16 tires, which shouldn't fit without a lift).One salesman went outside and said sure, it's got a 4" lift. Another went outside and told me it was completely stock. Finally, after taking measurements of many other Excursions known to be stock, I found my truck sits about 1" higher than most others - with no explanation as to why (maybe someone swapped my springs out for V-code springs).

So... At this point, I don't know if it is the sales guys at 4 Wheel Parts who don't have their heads screwed on straight, or if they're just "bred" that way due to the inconsistency of information from their manufacturers. But I don't get a good feeling from those guys. Maybe they do great work - but I'll probably never find out. Too bad - they offer a good discount to us military guys. But at least if I do the install myself - I'll know exactly what I've got done under there, and don't have to worry about someone forgetting to tighten a bolt (other than myself).

I do still have to order tires - but I'm trying to come to my final decision on what I'll run. Avoiding super swampers, don't want to replace my tires every year. If I go with GF Goodrich ATs or MTs, I'll have to replace my rims. I'm putting some serious thought into a set of Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips. I like the looks of them, and have seen a LOT of different opininos (everything from crap to great). And I'll also be looking for the best prices locally on 37x12.5R16s... By far, the hardest part about choosing tires in that size is the price VS wear VS quality VS performance issues. Finding the ideal tire will cost over $400 ea... a price I am not sure I am willing to pay.

Obviuously - to be continued... Just look out for the big white Excursion around the end of January :-).

Thanks for the repy and the advice - I do appreciate it. As I was trying to say - I can't speak for 4 Wheel Parts' install skills - only for their sales associates. I won't discount them completely.

Mark

Last edited by BIGRNU; 11-07-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Hey Mark, well sounds good to me. Just wait a little bit it'll give ya something else to look forward to for when you come home. Oh and hey if you need a hand when ya get back I'll be around.

PS 35" or 37", either way it'll be sweet.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Thanks man. I'll definitely look you up when I get back. Looking at some time near the end of January... And I have a feeling I'll be needing a little assistance when it comes to getting everything together. A solid 6-8 hrs of work, followed by another solid 6-8 hours of beer drinking, LOL!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
I'm actually surprised so many people are scared to do a lift install on an excursion.
I'm not skeeeered!
I don't live in the Springs and can appreciate not asking the Mrs. to drive up and down the front range. Then there's the aspect of having a busy life, a family; I think you know the drill.
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
Obviuously - to be continued... Just look out for the big white Excursion around the end of January :-).
Mark
Definitely post when you get home. I never know when the stars will align, the clouds will part, and I get to go play.

Take care, Mike

Old 11-10-2005, 10:03 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
LOL... I sincerely understand. But with gas prices dropping, I actually don't feel so guilty about driving an Excursion! So I've got that going for me. Family life definitely takes up a lot of my time as well - so I'm hoping I can find enough time to get my truck together not TOO long after I make it back.

I'll be posting photos here of the truck after the install is complete... I'm sure I'll have a few more piles of parts to install by the time I get home :-). That's one of the best things about the internet - I can still shop around and purchase the stuff I want for the truck, and have it sent directly to my house, where it will be patiently waiting for me.

Mark