My Van Bortel Ford Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Van Bortel Ford Experience

For over a year FTE has worked with Jeff Clark and Van Bortel Ford and since this spring with Suburban Ford for users on the West Coast. FTE has worked with both these companies because they represent, in my opinion, how dealers and salespersons should treat their customers.

I strongly encourage you to check them out here in this forum section if you're considering a new Ford. I have never heard any complaints about how they treated FTE users, and they're likely to save you enough money to make flying out to get a vehicle worth it (or you can order it for local delivery).

Here's my recent experience with Van Bortel Ford....
Because I live over in Georgia I selected Van Bortel (in New York) to purchase my wife's 2005 Ford Freestar. I don't like flying so Suburban lost out, but I still have a truck under consideration so its not too late!

We have another child on the way and I was faced with the decision so many men hate: time to buy a minivan.

Van Bortel Ford gave me an incredible deal. Ford family plan plus two Ford rebates, plus the FTE users discount. I flew up there and was put up in a hotel for the night. The paperwork process was 30 minutes, pain-free and very uncomplicated. No long contracts, no small text in such volume I couldn't read it all, no numbers games, no dickering on details. 15 of those 30 minutes was my chatting with the person! It couldn't have been easier.

The sales section is open without the "managers" glass encased raised platform you typically see at dealers. Customers were smiling. One guy at a table next to me seem prepared to do the typical battle with a dealer. He had the grumpy arms folded appearance, and said "I have a number in mind, tell me what you have in mind and we'll see what we can deal." The salesmen smiled and simply said "here's the price, and we won't need to haggle because there are no gimmicks. I don't even deal with a manager on pricing." The customer seemed shocked! I chuckled because I've heard for months how Van Bortel Ford treats customers and thought about what a pleasant surprise it must be for people who don't know about the Van Bortel difference.

Van Bortel gives their customers fixed pricing (and a good price at that). Their salesmen make the same amount of money for selling a base Focus as they do a fully loaded Super Duty so they are sincere in their efforts to place you in the vehicle that is best for your needs rather than best for their commission. They are low-pressure, "here's the offer" sales persons. I chatted with a couple salesmen and they were extremely nice guys. I didn't get that creepy feeling that I tend to get at most dealerships.

After I purchased the Freestar Jeff was going to be busy for a few hours. We had a dinner appointment that evening so he gave me the keys to a Supercrew to enjoy for the afternoon. Upstate New York has some beautiful countryside!

After driving around I came back at 5 (when the dealership sales area closes). The guy who rounds up the keys at the end of the day was walking into the place at the same time I was. I handed him my keys and he asked me if I was done. Apparently he didn't know I was Jeff's guest and thought I was a customer taking it for a test drive by myself with no salesperson. Even though it would mean that he would have to wait on me, he asked if I wanted to take it out longer... he even said "take your time." I thanked him and said I was there to meet with Jeff and then went in.

Off all the auto purchases I've made over the years this was by far the most pleasant, worry-free and hassle-free experience I've ever had. Was it worth a 2 hour plane flight and a 14 hour drive? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Do I recommend them? Yes, now more than ever.

Its a nice thing to see many FTE's get treated so well by a Ford dealership... its even better getting that same treatment myself.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange, my post isn't showing up... so I'll repost.

Thanks for posting that, Ken. I enjoy reading about people's experiences with Jeff or Ernie.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and, more importantly, the new little FTE'er soon to arrive. <=official Nwst smiley

Old 10-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Streetcruzer
Elder User
Thanks for the post Ken, its good to read that there are still companies that take their customers needs seriously and deliver a quality product at a fair price. When buying anything, it should not be headache or hassle, but a pleasant experiance. But after meeting Jeff at KC, and listening to his talk on buying cars, this comes as no surprise. Honesty will always prevail,

Cruzer

Old 10-10-2005, 09:00 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
I just hope Jeff is around in 20 years or so when I am ready to replace my 03' ! !

Old 10-15-2005, 09:04 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
What Ken said !!!!!!! I couldn't agree more. I had the same experience but was able to go to dinner with Jeff at one of the best BBQ places in Rochester NY.Thanks to FTE for putting us together

Old 10-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Montana55
New User
Van Bortel

Originally Posted by webmaster
For over a year FTE has worked with Jeff Clark and Van Bortel Ford and since this spring with Suburban Ford for users on the West Coast. FTE has worked with both these companies because they represent, in my opinion, how dealers and salespersons should treat their customers.

I strongly encourage you to check them out here in this forum section if you're considering a new Ford. I have never heard any complaints about how they treated FTE users, and they're likely to save you enough money to make flying out to get a vehicle worth it (or you can order it for local delivery).

Here's my recent experience with Van Bortel Ford....
Because I live over in Georgia I selected Van Bortel (in New York) to purchase my wife's 2005 Ford Freestar. I don't like flying so Suburban lost out, but I still have a truck under consideration so its not too late!

We have another child on the way and I was faced with the decision so many men hate: time to buy a minivan.

Van Bortel Ford gave me an incredible deal. Ford family plan plus two Ford rebates, plus the FTE users discount. I flew up there and was put up in a hotel for the night. The paperwork process was 30 minutes, pain-free and very uncomplicated. No long contracts, no small text in such volume I couldn't read it all, no numbers games, no dickering on details. 15 of those 30 minutes was my chatting with the person! It couldn't have been easier.

The sales section is open without the "managers" glass encased raised platform you typically see at dealers. Customers were smiling. One guy at a table next to me seem prepared to do the typical battle with a dealer. He had the grumpy arms folded appearance, and said "I have a number in mind, tell me what you have in mind and we'll see what we can deal." The salesmen smiled and simply said "here's the price, and we won't need to haggle because there are no gimmicks. I don't even deal with a manager on pricing." The customer seemed shocked! I chuckled because I've heard for months how Van Bortel Ford treats customers and thought about what a pleasant surprise it must be for people who don't know about the Van Bortel difference.

Van Bortel gives their customers fixed pricing (and a good price at that). Their salesmen make the same amount of money for selling a base Focus as they do a fully loaded Super Duty so they are sincere in their efforts to place you in the vehicle that is best for your needs rather than best for their commission. They are low-pressure, "here's the offer" sales persons. I chatted with a couple salesmen and they were extremely nice guys. I didn't get that creepy feeling that I tend to get at most dealerships.

After I purchased the Freestar Jeff was going to be busy for a few hours. We had a dinner appointment that evening so he gave me the keys to a Supercrew to enjoy for the afternoon. Upstate New York has some beautiful countryside!

After driving around I came back at 5 (when the dealership sales area closes). The guy who rounds up the keys at the end of the day was walking into the place at the same time I was. I handed him my keys and he asked me if I was done. Apparently he didn't know I was Jeff's guest and thought I was a customer taking it for a test drive by myself with no salesperson. Even though it would mean that he would have to wait on me, he asked if I wanted to take it out longer... he even said "take your time." I thanked him and said I was there to meet with Jeff and then went in.

Off all the auto purchases I've made over the years this was by far the most pleasant, worry-free and hassle-free experience I've ever had. Was it worth a 2 hour plane flight and a 14 hour drive? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Do I recommend them? Yes, now more than ever.

Its a nice thing to see many FTE's get treated so well by a Ford dealership... its even better getting that same treatment myself.

Couldn't agree with you more as I've had 1st hand experience with Van Bortel & I have nothing but praise for everyone there, especially the owner Kitty Van Bortel. I'll try not to get too long winded on my bad experience with an 02 Explorer that Miss Van Bortel took care of for me. I came off a 3 yr. lease on the 02 Expl. & decided to buy the vehicle outright, as I was happy with the deal & the vehicle & wanted to keep it. I had previously been leasing explorer's since 96 (all 2yr leases, until the 02) because I was very happy with them in all aspects. Well, I bought the 02 & 2 months later developed a noise in the rearend. I'm at 52,000 miles at this point & out of the warranty. I was told it was a rear bearing & I was looking at $500, along with some maintenace work I was having done. Not being too happy with this new development, I sat down & talked to Kitty Van Bortel & explained my situation & about being a loyal Ford customer since 96. I told her how I just bought the 02 & now was disappointed to see I needed a new bearing with only 52,000 on the vehicle & no warranty. Kitty was very sympathetic & told me she'd call Ford & she what she could do about them taking care of some of the bill. I went home with a rental they gave me & feeling much better about my plight after talking to her. Little did I know what was to come the next day. Kitty called back about 4:00 pm & said she had good news, bad news for me. The bad news was, the bearing was replaced & the noise was still there. They now determined the whole rearend had to be replaced. I was looking at a $2000 repair bill, when Kitty gave me the good news. She said after talking to Ford, they agreed to pay $1500 of the bill & give me a 5 yr. 100,000 mile extended warranty in addition to that. Even though I was pretty upset about having to have the rearend replaced at 52,000 miles, I couldn't have more pleased at the way Miss Van Bortel helped me with the outcome. I don't believe for a minute I would have had the same results at any other dealership. Kitty is someone that truly cares about her customers before & AFTER the sale. Even though the vehicle was fixed & under warranty, I didn't feel the same about it & asked about getting in a new 05 w/ a 2 yr. lease. They gave me what I felt was a great deal all around (buying back the 02) & getting the new lease. I wish the story ended there, but unfortunately, I've just developed problems with the 05 that's going to Van Bortel on Tues. The vehicle is under warranty & I'm sure it will be fixed properly, so I'm not worried about it from that aspect. But I've decided this is it for me & Fords. I was very sour on what happened with the 02 & it looks like this will be the final nail in the coffin for me. My confidence in their quality is gone completely. I hate to say it but my next vehicle is going to be Japanese, either Honda, Toyota or Subaru. And with Kitty owning a Subaru dealership, that will be be strong consideration for my choice. Here's what's going on with the 05, (less than 12,000 miles on it) in case you're wondering. These lights go on (& stay on) the dash panel every time the car is started. "Check advance trak", the car symbol w/squiggly road, ABS light, & intermittenly the 4X4 high. It's also developed a very bad grinding noise in the front end that goes away, after about 30-40 seconds of driving (thank God) Don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good at all. When I called the service dept. & told them about the lights, the girl wasn't surprised. It's something they've been having problems with. ( sensors in the rear wheel) She was stumped on the grinding noise though, so we'll have to see what develops with that. Bye bye Ford. It was nice (for the most part) while it lasted. I can't say enough good things though on Van Bortel Ford, & especially the owner Kitty Van Bortel. You'll never regret dealing with them.

Last edited by Montana55; 10-15-2005 at 10:05 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-15-2005, 10:07 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by webmaster
Because I live over in Georgia I selected Van Bortel (in New York) to purchase my wife's 2005 Ford Freestar.
Great to hear about the good experience. Prehaps Fords most unsung hero in the vehicle department too. Good choice, and I MEAN IT.

Originally Posted by Montana55
Well, I bought the 02 & 2 months later developed a noise in the rearend.
Let me guess... It occured at around 50mph...

Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rikfish
I just hope Jeff is around in 20 years or so when I am ready to replace my 03' ! !
Me, too! (And Ford..... )

I know I've said this before, but these glowing reviews never cease to amaze me, for 2 reasons. First, I've never asked for one. I do request of each FTE customer, as they're leaving our lot, to get on the forum and give me a report card. I've never asked anyone to "make sure it's a good one," or anything like that. Many of you have heard may say, "don't white-wash anything. Just go on the site and tell them how it was- good, bad or otherwise." Second, what I do sure isn't rocket science. I treat people the way I'd like to be treated, I answer their questions honestly and I give them a fair price- simple. Why other dealers don't do it the same way is just beyond me. You may think I'm crazy for saying it, but I really don't do anything that's so spectacular- it's that my competition does it so poorly.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:59 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
"...but I really don't do anything that's so spectacular- it's that my competition does it so poorly."

Funny- we say the same thing out here. The local competition is doing more for the trunkmonkey than we can do on our own.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:35 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Ernie, but you've got FOUR green boxes- I've only got two...