Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Need Detailed Instructions for V-10 Spark Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Schooner 45
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketrocketz1
I had a scan done on my V10 and it said #7 and #9 were misfiring or that the cop's were bad. My father-in-law had to do an emergency spark plug swap for my wife while she was visiting him....man was I nervous because of all that I have read here. He found two plugs that were totally missing the electrodes????? What was that from?

He put 10 new spark plugs in and I've driven it for about 4 - 5K trouble free miles and it's misfiring again. I think I'm going to go ahead an get new coil packs and use the dielectric grease, etc.....should there be anything else that I need to look for?

Where can I go to get the firing order, or a diagram showing the number of each cyclinder?
I know that's on the forum somewhere because I read it, but I'm not sure where. You should definitely search for the thread discussing that (I'M NO MECHANIC), but mine is a 2002 and I was told the numbers are 1-5 front to back on the passenger side, and 6-10 front to back on the driver side.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Pocketrocketz1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Schooner 45
I know that's on the forum somewhere because I read it, but I'm not sure where. You should definitely search for the thread discussing that (I'M NO MECHANIC), but mine is a 2002 and I was told the numbers are 1-5 front to back on the passenger side, and 6-10 front to back on the driver side.
Thanks Schooner....I must be terrible at searching, because I've spent a while looking/searching and haven't been able to find it. I'll keep digging. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 PM
preparation_h
Freshman User
Where do you find the COPs for $3-5 each?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 AM
jab43
New User
i looked up 2000 ford f250 v10 6.8 l and book says Spark plugs 8-12Lb-Ft — 71-106Lb-In i used a ford shop book from the ford co not a Chiltons book

Old 06-12-2010, 03:16 PM
CapeFerreloMetal
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Preparation, you can, if you have not found them already, pick up new boots at NAPA for $3 a piece...that is how much I paid. And they are US made items to boot. You can also pick up NGK boots for $6 a boot at NAPA.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Millenium Edition
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocketrocketz1
I had a scan done on my V10 and it said #7 and #9 were misfiring or that the cop's were bad. My father-in-law had to do an emergency spark plug swap for my wife while she was visiting him....man was I nervous because of all that I have read here. He found two plugs that were totally missing the electrodes????? What was that from?

He put 10 new spark plugs in and I've driven it for about 4 - 5K trouble free miles and it's misfiring again. I think I'm going to go ahead an get new coil packs and use the dielectric grease, etc.....should there be anything else that I need to look for?

Where can I go to get the firing order, or a diagram showing the number of each cyclinder?
Cylinders 1-5 on the passenger's side front to rear
Cylinders 6-10 on the driver's side front to rear
Firing order is 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9
Per 2000, and 2004 Owner's Manuals.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
11 ft/lbs is not enough. One of the guys on here did a test where he torqued plugs to failure in a junk head 2V heads with the short threads (4) and the threads never gave way but the plug broke at about 100 ft-lbs. So 20 ft-lbs is not that much. I changed mine and put 20ft-lbs on them with antisieze on the lower threads only. I will probably check the torque on them again just to make sure they are not loose.

Perry

Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM
AnnesLimo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by perryg114
11 ft/lbs is not enough. One of the guys on here did a test where he torqued plugs to failure in a junk head 2V heads with the short threads (4) and the threads never gave way but the plug broke at about 100 ft-lbs. So 20 ft-lbs is not that much. I changed mine and put 20ft-lbs on them with antisieze on the lower threads only. I will probably check the torque on them again just to make sure they are not loose.

Perry
I also have a 2000 X and am curious howe you get to #5 plug behind a/c under the dash?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM
CapeFerreloMetal
Junior User
It's a bit of a pain, but I just crawled up on the engine a bit, careful not to bend or crush anything, and used a flex extension on my ratchet, though you could use a U joint as well. Just loosened the plug, then used the heater/fuel line to back it out, after I blew out all the junk with an air hose. Once you get the COP off, you can see where to work, but again it's a pain. Engineers and designers should all be made to work on and repair what they design.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
John Mould
New User
Hey all of you guys that do your own work either because you like to or because you have to do it your self for monetary reasons.
I have a 06 Ford E450 Super Duty V10 in my 07 Winnebago Motorhome and I haven'T found any instructions on how and what to remove for access to the COPs and plugs. Please help this old AF guy.
John

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM
FordCamping
Senior User
Originally Posted by John Mould
Hey all of you guys that do your own work either because you like to or because you have to do it your self for monetary reasons.
I have a 06 Ford E450 Super Duty V10 in my 07 Winnebago Motorhome and I haven'T found any instructions on how and what to remove for access to the COPs and plugs. Please help this old AF guy.
John
From a fellow camper to another and one with a V10....See this thread of mine. It may help. Lots of pics along with TBS's etc and the extractors for broken plugs.

I replaced all COPS and Boots along with the plugs. Boy does it run smooth after a tune up.

Mine is the 2005 V10 3 valve engine. Your 2006 should be about the same. I believe in 2008 is when they changed the heads again to help get out of this plug breaking issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nsulators.html

Hope this helps

John

Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM
John Mould
New User
Detailed instructions for v10 plugs

Thanks for the quick reply FordCamper
However you have a F series and I have a E series in a motor home and the engine is some what different. I needed to find out what and how to disconnect the mass of wire on top of the plugs. Hope to see you on the trail some day. Look for a Winnie Outlook Wandering Star II.
John

Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
handifletch
Senior User
11 ft/lbs is the spec. in addition to compressed air to start the get rid of the crud around the boot hole, a vac attachment with brush for computer keyboard does a great job of the top of the hole. I made up a small vacuum hose to fit down the hole and flushed with electronic cleaner while using the vac before pulling the plug, this might seem a bit OCD but it made me feel better. Fletch

Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Iammyfathersdaughter
New User
Guys, why all the inconsistencies?

My husband has told me on 3 separate occasionshower over the past two weeks that the Ford has been running rough on restart and dying while refusing to restart and stay running. My thoughts go immediately to spark plugs. I have to tread lightly because my husband is a proud man. He can do almost anything he sets husband mind to from hunting and fishing to machining and electrical. Sometimes though he gets this look of sheer panic on his face followed by disbelief and scoffing. I made the mistake of saying "why don't we try some starting fluid so I can at least hear what it's doing (not doing) before we call a tow truck and spend thousands at a repair shop?" One shot and the truck fired right up and he drove it home.
This morning it doesn't want to start again. I suggest that we change the plugs. He says "but, honey it's a really big deal because of some coil thingy. Jerry at work just paid over $3,000 to get his changed in his Super Duty." To him, that's the end of the discussion. To me, there's still discussing to do. For example, is Jerry a mechanic's kid?
I decided to come to the forum to show my husband that it can be done and there's all this back and forth. I'm happy to have someone at a shop do it if we can't but I'm not going to keep shelling out money to have people do repairs that I've been doing for decades. Maybe I can't do it but how do we know if we don't try?
I will be attempting this in the next few days and getting back to you all to let you know if it is a pass or fail.
In the mean time, if you have any advice, feel free to repond.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
robj1999
Junior User
It's not that bad, My 17 yo truck I've done 4 times, just about an hour. Get a nice cushion!! I sit inside the hood to do mine.

Quick Reply: Need Detailed Instructions for V-10 Spark Plug Change