Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wish me luck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Wish me luck!!!!

I started Zyban Saturday. Once I kick the nicotene I'll have only 2 vices left: Coffee and Chocolate. I can live long and play hard with just those two.

The Mrs. and I have talked about it, tried a few times, and a few times more. Be real nice to spend that cash on something else, like an old truck!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:12 PM
rhw
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, good luck! I've smoked for 23 years and I'm sure it's going to kill me eventually. Wish I could quit. let us know how you do!

Old 10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
WELCOME TO THE CLUB! Like RHW, I smoked for 23 years. I quit 10 weeks ago and I am still on the wagon. I used the "Patch" and it was a big help for my first week. After that it wasn't so bad. You can definately notice things differently after a couple of weeks.
Good luck and enjoy!

Old 10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
SuperBlue
Elder User
Good luck! I'm sure it'll be hard, maybe that stuff will do the trick. My dad said "it was easy to quit smoking, hell I've done it thousands of times". Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Thanks guys!
I've smoked only 19 of the past 44 years. Last time I quit I stayed smoke free for 5 years: From 6 feet away, nothing smells better to an ex-smoker (stupidstupidstupid).
Tried the Zyban before; made good progress, life got chaotic, had to throw money at something else. Doc I have now loaded me up with free samples (Insurance doesn't cover Zyban???), will give me more if need be.

Money aside, it's getting harder to outrun/outplay the kids. That crap doesn't cut it, time for change!

Before Saturday: 2+ packs/day

Goal for the week: less than 1.75 packs/day

Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Zyban and other meds like that are, well....two sided. They are also used for depression. If you go to your doc and say that you have been feeling a bit down, then insurance will cover it because it is for depression. A medical need. But if listed for quitting smoking, then it is a medical want and not covered.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:59 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
You've got lots of support. You did the hardest part by deciding to
quit, GOOD LUCK. Baby steps to a longer life.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:08 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
I have one bit of advice, this worked for me about 17 years ago. Take the amount of money you would have spent each day on smokes and put it away, like in a dresser drawer. Reward yourself in some little way each day, or when you reach each goal, using this money.

One of the first rewards I "gave" myself was a new mountain bike. Riding the bike made me appreciate being able to breath that little bit better without the smokes! I figured if I could waste the money on smoking, I most certainly could spend it on other things.

Good Luck, you'll never regret this.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Hey, Good luck with quitting. Im in the slow and tedious process of quitting chewing right now.

Its more than worth it, I saw 2 of my older friends (2-3 x my age) pass away in the last year from cancer...and thats motivation.

Let us know how it goes for you, and give it all you got.

--John

Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Manual5.0/96
New User
Good Luck With it. I quit smoking 5 and half years ago. I used the gum, of corse there was only two flavors then ( one tasted like paper and the other like postage stamps) but it worked.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:48 AM
HunterSThompson
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tomorrow is 13 months without tobacco for me.

You CAN do this!

I didn't have the money for quit aids, but I had a lil sack of doobies - kept the grumpies at bay.

Sometimes it's minute by minute, but it you can make it another 10 minutes - the craving will pass.

At least now, when I get that occasional craving - it's really easy to ignore it.

Good lusk and I whish you the best.

Here's a site I found usefull
http://www.whyquit.com/

or search whyquit.com

Last edited by HunterSThompson; 10-15-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson
Tomorrow is 13 months without tobacco for me.

You CAN do this!

I didn't have the money for quit aids, but I had a lil sack of doobies - kept the grumpies at bay.

Sometimes it's minute by minute, but it you can make it another 10 minutes - the craving will pass.

At least now, when I get that occasional craving - it's really easy to ignore it.

Good lusk and I whish you the best.

Here's a site I found usefull
http://www.whyquit.com/

or search whyquit.com

"Good lusk and I whish you the best."

Hey dude, I think you better lighten up on the doobies

Old 10-15-2005, 04:45 PM
HunterSThompson
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

and for you,
"A word to the wise is infuriating."

Hunter S Thompson

peace.

Last edited by HunterSThompson; 10-15-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Man! I FEEL the love! Thanks all.

Hunter, in a former life (1982) it worked for me. While I admit that the replacement tasted much better, it's simply not a consideration now. I watched a movie on HBO called "Methodonia". It chronicled Methadone replacement therapy for Heroine junkies. Jeeeezzzz, talk about getting a perspective. I'll take the nic-fits and get over it.

Week two: I didn't make goal, but I did stay under 40 per day. That's progress, I'll take it! The Zyban is working as expected; I don't want to smoke as often, don't enjoy it when I do light up. Now it's down to breaking the habit patterns, and like Hunter said-make the stretch. Last spring I tapered down to 22/day without medication. I can do this.

Goal for the week: Still less than 35/day. I'm cutting back on the coffee. Probably don't need it since I am bicycling to work. 3 miles, mostly downhill-WOOHOO! The ride home gets me pumped also.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Holy revived threads Batman!!!

It dawned on me this past week that I'm coming up on my two year anniversary. I quit Thanksgiving weekend, just in time for the fuel prices to go through the roof. It was easy too, remember that big storm that shut down I-80? I damn near froze to death. I hurt from the hypothermia, I hurt from the withdrawls, don't want to try either one again. The website linked in this thread helped my perception of the problem, and the solution.

OHH-RAH!

Quick Reply: Wish me luck!!!!