Sponsored by: Moser

1975 F-100 Power Steering Gear Box Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 05:51 PM
upsfordman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1975 F-100 Power Steering Gear Box Change

I Have A 1975 F-100 4x4. I Want To Chance Over The Ram Assisted Steering To Real Power Steering. I Was Told That A 77-79 F-150 Or A 77-79 Bronco Would Be A Direct Replacement. This Is Not True. Any Suggestions??????

Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by upsfordman
I Have A 1975 F-100 4x4. I Want To Chance Over The Ram Assisted Steering To Real Power Steering. I Was Told That A 77-79 F-150 Or A 77-79 Bronco Would Be A Direct Replacement. This Is Not True. Any Suggestions??????
I would say somebody lied to you, take it back if you can.
Full time power steering is for 4X2 trucks only. The sector shaft on a 4X2 comes out the bottom and on a 4X4 it came out the side to a valve. I do not think there is any way to change over unless you change the whole front end to a newer type from the 80's. I do not know if anybody has tried this or not.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard of it, found mosty '78 & '79 Bronco parts at the jun...uh, automotive parts recycling center. I wasn't too sure about the swap until I got in to it.

Good points:
Besides getting rid of the clutter, you get to pick the drag link arrangement. Ford made a "Y" shaped set up and an "inverted T" set up. The "T" arrangement is said to be better. The "T" style drag link is arrow straight, not so with the "Y" shaped arrangement. If it looks like a letter Y laying on it's side, pass it up.

You get to re-locate the steering gear. The old power assist and "armstrong" steering put the leading bolt out in front of the crossmember with no reinforcement. One healthy hit to that frame horn and you're pretty much SOL. The newer set up has the steering gear rear of the crossmember, where the frame is boxed. Yep you'll have to cut or drill to access the nuts. I prefer to not cut into the radius, flat steel only.

You just might find a Bronco with a dual shock bracket-nice bonus.

Problems:
The spot you re-locate the steering gear to is not flat. The rear mounting holes on the Bronco locate right up to the track bar bracket. That's how I referenced mine. On my '74 there is a small recess for the bracket, holes are on the radius. Looks like I'll be grinding 2 beveled spacers so I can feel comfortable about clamping the wee out of the thing.

The drag links are a leeeeeetle different. The '74 mounts from the bottom, studs poke out the top. The Bronco style mounts from the top, the ball joint studs are bigger, and have a different taper. The smart thing to do would be to take the steering knuckles and everything attached to them from the Bronco. This will also put disc brakes up front. This also means changing the proportioning valve.

I'm not so smart, I prefer drums. That means I'll have to find out what the taper is on the new studs and spend money on a reamer. On top of that, I'll have to fill the old taper on the bottom or the hole will be shaped like an hourglass.

Making everything fit. You just might have to get creative with the hoses. I stopped at the problem with the steering knuckles, don't remember if the hose fittings are the same. I did have to trim some sheet metal. I did take the intermediate shaft with the gear, just unbolted from the steering column. I don't know if the older shaft collapses enough to fit.

Happy hunting, Mike