Can the 7.3 PSD reach 1 million miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Budkole
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the 7.3 PSD reach 1 million miles?

Post you opinion and vote.

Do you think that the 7.3 PSD reach 1 million miles just as the Cummins?

I think and know , yes it can, but i wanna hear what everyone thinks and why.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:21 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
i'm gonna try. but who knows. i am sure if you take care of it why not?

Old 10-08-2005, 09:44 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
cummins statement on 1,000,000 mark is by doing a rebuild at 400k and 700k its supposed to be a mil on block head and crank.

there rebuild is bearings, rings, pistons, polish the crank, and a valve job.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I don't think that I'll ever get that far with the truck. Don't drive it enough. But I am sure that it could make it with regular maintainance and a couple of injector swaps when needed.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 AM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
I have seen a few of them near the million kilometer mark... if you take proper care of them, there's a pretty good chance it could be done.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:52 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i drive mine too hard to expect that out of it. but ive got a truck with 600k on it. just put in a new motor a few months back. my f250 is getting closer and closer to the 200k mark and the 350 to the 100k

Old 10-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by barebackjake
i drive mine too hard to expect that out of it. but ive got a truck with 600k on it. just put in a new motor a few months back. my f250 is getting closer and closer to the 200k mark and the 350 to the 100k
Did you ever tear down the motor with 600k on it to see what wore out?

Old 10-08-2005, 10:20 AM
chapguy
Senior User
I'm thinking that with proper maintenance, a careful right foot and the suggested rebuilds that the 7.3 goes a million. I do NOT think I'd want to drive what's left of the rest of the truck at that point though. Great trucks but definitely still a light truck and not meant to make it that far. Anyone hitting 3-400k should be proud and content, miles after that are just gravy.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:25 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
i think the motor could do it with some regular maintainence and some parts swaps, but other parts of the truck won't, i don't see a 4R100 going that far no matter how you build it, and in this part of the country, the salt they dump on the roads in the winter will eat your truck long before you could drive that many miles...

Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I voted "no" above. I think it's unrealistic for us to expect a 7.3 to go about five times what the average American thinks is "worn out".

There will be many exceptions to this, and given the way most of us at FTE care for ours, a few will go that far if this kind of careful upkeep is maintained. I have no doubt that there are 7.3's, or some form of T444e's, that right now are over that milage.

But there are two kinds of folks that own Powerstrokes. Those such as ourselves that maintain them as kind of a hobby, and those that use them professionally, pulling stuff around the country with them.

The ones that are a "friend" are spotless, drip-free, and like the day they were new. Maybe actually better. But they usually see no more than 30K miles per year, so even a '99 would only have 200K on it so far. One fifth of the way to go!

The ones that are a "tool" get a lot of miles put on them, and then they are "used up" in the eyes of their owners. A business decision is made to retire them, based on a law of averages and diminishing returns. If I made a living with mine, and I was depreciating it per IRS rules, it would make good sense to get a new one every five years. At 100K per year, that's only half of the goal.

Most of us will go on to a newer one as the years pass, and most won't see 300K before they pass to someone else. At that time, they will be getting up in years, not just miles, and be getting cheaper, so they won't be as valuable to keep pristine. They won't get their oil changed as often, plastic parts will be getting brittle and hard to find, suspensions will get loose, u-joints and front hubs will fail, and then the trans will go. When that happens, there will be a fateful decision made. Maybe the truck will go on for a few more years, or maybe it will be decided to scrap it. When that happens, maybe the wrecking yard will decide that a (now) 400K engine just isn't worth pulling for re-selling. So that Powerstroke will not have made even half of those miles. Is it realistic to think that it would make double that?

Sure, there will be exceptions, but most won't make it.

Pop

Old 10-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Budkole
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I voted "no" above. I think it's unrealistic for us to expect a 7.3 to go about five times what the average American thinks is "worn out".

There will be many exceptions to this, and given the way most of us at FTE care for ours, a few will go that far if this kind of careful upkeep is maintained. I have no doubt that there are 7.3's, or some form of T444e's, that right now are over that milage.

But there are two kinds of folks that own Powerstrokes. Those such as ourselves that maintain them as kind of a hobby, and those that use them professionally, pulling stuff around the country with them.

The ones that are a "friend" are spotless, drip-free, and like the day they were new. Maybe actually better. But they usually see no more than 30K miles per year, so even a '99 would only have 200K on it so far. One fifth of the way to go!

The ones that are a "tool" get a lot of miles put on them, and then they are "used up" in the eyes of their owners. A business decision is made to retire them, based on a law of averages and diminishing returns. If I made a living with mine, and I was depreciating it per IRS rules, it would make good sense to get a new one every five years. At 100K per year, that's only half of the goal.

Most of us will go on to a newer one as the years pass, and most won't see 300K before they pass to someone else. At that time, they will be getting up in years, not just miles, and be getting cheaper, so they won't be as valuable to keep pristine. They won't get their oil changed as often, plastic parts will be getting brittle and hard to find, suspensions will get loose, u-joints and front hubs will fail, and then the trans will go. When that happens, there will be a fateful decision made. Maybe the truck will go on for a few more years, or maybe it will be decided to scrap it. When that happens, maybe the wrecking yard will decide that a (now) 400K engine just isn't worth pulling for re-selling. So that Powerstroke will not have made even half of those miles. Is it realistic to think that it would make double that?

Sure, there will be exceptions, but most won't make it.

Pop
You are so off topic is amazing !!! Pay attention to the question at had. We are not talking about trading, scrapping etc...

Im not saying what you said doesnt have any truth to it, but is irrelivent to the question.

"Do you think it can make it to 1,000,000 miles?"

Your answer is yes even though you voted no, why, because you said "I have no doubt that there are 7.3's, or some form of T444e's, that right now are over that milage"

Shame on you, you show have voted yes, you said with your own keyboard!

None of us are inpling that ALL will make it, but some will and do it with ease.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:22 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Can a 350 Chevy make it a million miles? Can a Model T Ford? The answer is obviously yes!

There are exceptions to everything. Just trying to be realistic here.

Sure didn't think I was off-topic, though. Sorry.

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 10-08-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Budkole
Senior User
I meant no harm whatsoever , i was actually laughing as i was typing

You know, this is the second time today, i mis spoke!
Trust me , I konw what you are saying

Realisticly, mine wont even get close

sorry for any ill feeling, i truly meant no harm

I havnt been picking my words too well today

Old 10-08-2005, 02:35 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it can, and it has. There was an article a while back on Navistar's PowerStroke site about a guy who had a 7.3 that he used to deliver boats all along the east coast. He apparently had all the maintenance performed at the dealer, and he did have parts replaced...

I'm looking for the article now, will post it when I find it.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:04 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
“The fact that you can carry and tow greater loads than any other pickup is just the beginning,” O’Connor said. “Our customers expect a truck that will stand up over the long haul. We have customers with over a million miles on their Super Duty trucks and they are still going strong.”

Here's one blurb from this article: https://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/20...perduty_5.html

I'm still looking for the other...I saw it about 2 years ago.

Quick Reply: Can the 7.3 PSD reach 1 million miles?