Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Senior User

onioncasserole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biodiesel MPG

What kind of MPG do you get with your vehicle compared to when it was petro-Diesel?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm using premium fuel with 5% biodiesel from soybeans and it added about 1 to 2 mpg but it helped a lot with the smell and the noise from the engine. It added in this combo about .04 per gallon (2 for premium and 2 for the soy)
Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Junior User

Fish370ec is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mileage

I picked up my new 06 6.0 350 a little over a week ago and just got back from a 700 mile trip. The truck already had a "few" miles on it do to being a dealer trade. In any event, I got 19mph for the trip. Averaged about 70. I have to say, that I was thrilled (understatement). Anyway, the local Meijer sells Bio, but only B20 so I need to "water" it down with petro diesel to get to a 5% ratio (according to the manual, no more then 5% should be used). In any event, if I can add even 1 mile per gallon by using Bio, then I am totally in. Better mileage and less reliance on the Middle East.

Fish.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Senior User

onioncasserole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does using 100% biodiesel get worse MPG compared to using 100% petro-diesel?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Freshman User

kregars is starting off with a positive reputation.
From my understanding, using straight 100 (B100) will generally give you about the same results as #2 pump. However..if you are brewing your own, which is what I think your getting at, you may find that the milage clock is less often monitored but be sure to have a spare filter as B5-B100 will clean out the entire fuel delivery system and clog the filter...just depends on what ratio you go with etc.

Also from my understanding, buying straight 100 (or even B99) is somewhat cost prohibitive. YMMV (literally)
Old 10-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Senior User

Sportdeck262 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Virgin B100 from a fuel supplier used to be more expensive than dino-diesel. Since the $ runnup after Katrina and Rita, the price of BD has not gone up as much. I bought B100 for $2.75/gal (including all road tax) last week from a distributor in Metro Atl. The local price for dino-diesel is $3.09-$3.49 depending on the location. Check with local fuel distributors if you want to purchase direct. It may be a pleasant suprise.
Toys In Tow
00 Chris Craft Sportdeck 262 5.7L Volvo DuoProp (GM)
00 Jayco Eagle 314BHS
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by onioncasserole
What kind of MPG do you get with your vehicle compared to when it was petro-Diesel?

I use B-100 in 4 rigs, Lowest gain 1.6 mpg. Best gain 3.8. Also noticed 10 percent gain in irrigation pumps of gallons per hour pumped at same rpm as dinodiesel. All engines seem to run quieter. I'll never go back to dinodiesel!!! FABMANDELUX.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Junior User

Is there a reason why Ford only recommends B5? It seems that some/many are running B20 or even B100. Are these being run in 6.0s or 7.3s or something completely different?

Fish
Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
According to International Truck--- TSI -05 -12 -21 May 2005 International will warranty engines up to B5 or 5% biodiesel if the fuel meets ASTM D975 fuel quality standards. B20 does not meet these specifications. But there is work being done within the ASTM for a B20 specification.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Junior User

Cool, thanks - I will try the B5 and then when and if the B20 is approved for ASTM and International and Ford recognize it, then I will switch to that as it appears alot of people are having good luck with it.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Postmaster

I was using the B20 until we got the 04 and found out about the warranty issue. I have 4 diesels for the farm ( tractors etc) and 2 diesel pickups. so we go thru a lot of fuel in the spring and fall. I had no problems but the older equipment quit smoking and ran smoother than on #2.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
201, biodeisle, biodiesel, biodisel, f250, ford, give, mpg, trucks