Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Truck Enthusiasts Site Navigation > Site Announcements
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Ad Blocking Compromise

As many of you may already know, FTE implemented counter-measures yesterday that defeat many ad-blockers.

We see ad blockers as enabling users to utilize the site without contributing to it. We have more hardware in place and use more bandwidth than ever before and as we grow these needs grow as well. We have to recoup our operating expenses via advertising.

We believe attempts to block ads only serve to hurt the very sites these users claim to enjoy. Just imagine if everyone ran ad blockers -- the majority content sites would shut down or become entirely subscriber based. On the one hand, such users say they support a site, on the other they insist on making sure the site can't fund the services.

This is not to say we are insensitive to users who feel they contribute to the site by helping many other users. Quite the opposite is true. We will be implementing changes to our counter-measures later on today:

Users with over 500 posts will be able to see all content even if they block ads.

We hope this is a fair compromise for everyone. While we don't agree with many of the counter-arguments put forth, we do value your input so we're making this compromise.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
That is more than fair Ken. It recognizes users that have been excellent contributors and allows them some leeway (not that they need any blocking SW at FTE).

At the same time maybe we can help educate users about spyware and tracking cookies that are so misunderstood by some Internet users. Cookies from most legitimate Internet sites are not bad. We have a privacy policy here for everyone to read that explains the FTE cookies fairly well. We also do not use spyware or the so called infamous "tracking cookies". Unfortunately there are a number of sites that DO use tracking cookies and there are many good explanations of how those work on the Internet.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Postmaster

Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Only argument you'll get from me is that compromise shouldn't be necessary. Users should have to deal with ads if they feel they don't have to pony up the dough for a subscription. I'd personally take offense and ban anyone who purposley and knowingly tried to sabotage my source of income. . .but then again, I'm not as nice as you
1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 10-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Post Fiend

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
why not make it easier to contribute to the website? BITOG has a donation button and you get a site supporter logo next to your name. or bring back the 2.50 a month club fte option.

Users with over 500 posts will be able to see all content even if they block ads.

just curious but what does that mean??
Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Post Fiend

fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.
I think the compromise is more then fair for the amount of information we receive here. I agree with Torque1st though, to many people are not aware of the difference between ad's and cookies.

On another note it is quite possible to put FTE in your trusted or allowed sites, this will allow ads to be seen here but keep your ad blocking still intact for other sites. In other words you do not have to turn off you ad blocking all together just for FTE.

If this site can make money just by having me open up the page then I think that is great, kind of like TV, you don't have to watch the ads but they are still there and thats what pays the bills.

Ken, thanks for the update, the compromise and the information. Hope this will help the members understand more what and why things have to be the way they are.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Elder User

Lead_Foot is starting off with a positive reputation.
even when i was on 56k the ads on this site didnt give me any problems, now i'm on cable and i dont really care how many ads you shove on here, i feel invincible

2006 Harley Davidson XL1200R
Old 10-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
The $2.50 Club FTE option was causing headaches due to members changing over to yearly after a couple of months, and it triggering a bug in the VBulletin software that we have to manually override.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Postmaster

Icicle has a good reputation on FTE.Icicle has a good reputation on FTE.Icicle has a good reputation on FTE.
Good work at once again going to great lengths to make everyone happy.

To be quite honest, I think that you should bring about some sort of a contribute now above and beyond the CLUB FTE subscriptions, Id contribute on top of my FTE membership if given the option of dong so............

Early 99 7.3 F250 Super Cab, Stock except for the bright "yellowness" -- Working on attaining 100% health before mods. Non stock Aluminum Billet T-stat housing. 6637 intake.

95 YJ Wrangler ------ 05 Cadillac Escalade
Old 10-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Postmaster

Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ever thought of giving out free trials? Maybe if people could get a feel for what ClubFTE is like before they pay up they'd be more willing to pony up Of course, I dunno how much money could be lost if half the site decided to go free for a week (or how ever long the free trial period was. . .)

One last thing and then I'll be quiet. . .I spent a LONG time on a gaming site that was having the same problems your having now. Not enough donations and people were blocking/weren't clicking adds. So after asking forum goers to spend a few seconds and click an ad, they set it up so they had too. You could get to the site, and read the news, but in order to access the forums, you had to click an ad of your choice once in a 24 hour period. Solved there problem at least. . .just a thought
1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Elder User

A. Michael Foxtrot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ahh...This would explain why suddenly I couldn't view the forums with my firewall up.

1998 F-150 S/C XLT 4X4 4.6
2005 F-350 C/C Lariat 4X4 6.0
Click me to see what I drive
Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

A couple of things...

1. Free trials: Works in the offline world. Does not work in the online world. Some people keep re-registering new accounts to get the freebie.

2. Asking people to click on ads: extremely unethical for a publisher to ask people to do that. Advertisers want sales, not clicks. Bogus clicks that do not convert to sales does nothing for the advertiser. Most Internet ad companies, by contract, don't want publishers to ask people to click on ads. The only time I would ever ask that is if Ford ever ran another survey on this site (ie, I'd ask people to fill out the survey, since that's what the advertiser is paying for, not for sales).
Old 11-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Posting Guru

Cruiseomatic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Cruiseomatic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Theres' Ad's here? Wow,I've only seen 2 or 3 on here when I visit. Then a list of links. I have noticed that when I go to a page,the header loads,then a few seconds later,the rest comes up.

I don't have a problem with the ad's really. I know why I load FTE so slowly,Its my computer. Two ad's plus links aren't THAT bad. I'd support FTE but I don't know how and money is so tight right now. I know some of you'll say "It's only $15 a year." Pfft,You be me. 15 is alot for me.

From my knowlege of Ad blocking software,It just hides them in the browser,Your connection still pulls them in. So in theory,"Blocking Ads" Does you no good except that you can't see them.

I say "Limited Knowlege" Because I don't mess with them hardly ever. I just ignore the ads' and concentrate on what I intend to do.

Just my $2.00
(Adjusted for inflation)
Rust is lighter than Carbon Fiber. If you try to fail and succeed, Did you fail or succeed?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:29 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Truck Enthusiasts Site Navigation > Site Announcements