WVO sources

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 PM
onioncasserole
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WVO sources

What are the best sources to attain higher grade WVO? From what I understand the fast food joints have some of the worst grade WVO to convert into biodiesel.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:22 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How is VO graded? Who uses VO in bulk besides resturants?

Old 10-08-2005, 09:27 PM
onioncasserole
Senior User
There is no grade scale that I know of for VO or WVO except the possible uses. Fast food restaurants use a certain type of VO which characteristics change when they use it for their specific cooking style. From what I understand these characteristics are less ideal for converting into biodiesel b/c of higher water and waste content. I E More labor to convert it. I'm thinking Chinese/BBQ/seafood restaurants MIGHT be a better WVO to convert. That's only a guess. What do you think?

Old 10-29-2005, 08:31 PM
joeblow69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip places use it. Like lays potato chips. But they use 1000's of gallons. The best places to get WVO are small mom and pop places especially Asian places. They tend to use the oil lightly, often change weekly, and are happy to give it to you.

The most common oil I get is Soybean oil.

Joeblow69
Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000, and Vegtherm

Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by onioncasserole
What are the best sources to attain higher grade WVO? From what I understand the fast food joints have some of the worst grade WVO to convert into biodiesel.
I don't care where it comes from! I am hauling from 38 resturant's in 2 states. Some is better than others, alot depends on how often they change it. I do isolate NEW oils to check for excess water. If the new oil does'nt contain to much excess water then it goes into the bulk tank to be processed. If i find excess water in oil from a new resturant I have a little talk with the owner's and convince them NOT to use water to clean there grill's. Most of the water contamination comes from using water to clean the hot grill's. FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Wow Fabman that is a lot of WVO!!

How much BD and glycerin do you end up with, say from a batch that starts out as 50gal. WVO?

What are you doing the glycerin?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Talking

Originally Posted by Ed Willmott
Wow Fabman that is a lot of WVO!!

How much BD and glycerin do you end up with, say from a batch that starts out as 50gal. WVO?

What are you doing the glycerin?
About 400gal/wk!! I just got word friday that my deal with one of the french-fry plants here [ we have 7! ] Can you say mcdonald's? accepted my offer, and I will be hauling 500 gal/wk from them. Only 6 more plants to go!!

50 gal wvo + 10 gal methanol + 4 lbs lye = 50 gal biodiesel, 10 gal glycerol.

Glycerin now being used for heating new 300 gal process tank. Just found a .5 ton/hr pellet-mill for under $1500. Thinking REAL hard about buying it and pelletizing straw/glycerin for pellet stoves! FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:38 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Fab I need your expertise now. Can you send me pics of your methanol recovery? Also a pic of your chunks vs juice seperator? I got my little setup but I need your advise again. And how do you mix your lye and methanol? Mine seemed to take too long to dissolve. Email please.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kennedyford
Fab I need your expertise now. Can you send me pics of your methanol recovery? Also a pic of your chunks vs juice seperator? I got my little setup but I need your advise again. And how do you mix your lye and methanol? Mine seemed to take too long to dissolve. Email please.

I will post pictures of my Methanol Still as soon as my new camera arrives. My "heater-cleaner" pictures ARE posted in my gallery. If you go to my gallery you will see an inclined trough which is where the particles are seperated from the oil. I will post pictures of my Methaoxide mixer also. It takes approx 30 min to mix the lye and methanol. I have a thermometer installed in the tank, when you mix lye and methanol it is an EXOTHERMIC reaction [ it creates it's own heat ], so I watch for the temp to rise to about 120 deg F, When the temp falls to about room temp it's ready to use! My camera SHOULD be here the first of the week, and I will post new pictures then. FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:45 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
I travel to Oregon and Washington quite a bit. Would it be possible to see it in action later this month or December?

Old 11-03-2005, 08:33 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Talking

Originally Posted by kennedyford
I travel to Oregon and Washington quite a bit. Would it be possible to see it in action later this month or December?
Yes, you are welcome to visit, but please hold off till mid december. I have 2 speaches to deliver to our county gov this month [we are trying to put together a biodiesel farm co-op ] and I'm streached mighty thin right now! I also bought 2 bankrupt busnesses that need to be restarted this month. Along with building our new processer I have a real full plate right now. FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
I will let you know way in advance if im gonna make it that way. Im gonna have some sort of trailer behind me either a fema trailer or fema equipment or dealer travel trailer. So i will have to park it or make arragements in advance anyway. Thanks