Good Biodiesel Project Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
onioncasserole
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Biodiesel Project Vehicle

What would be a good vehicle to convert to use Biodiesel? From what I understand some of the older diesel vehicles don't respond well to Biodiesel due to rubber seals/parts being effected by the fuel and eventually clogging up the injectors. I've read that this really isn't a problem on vehicles from the mid 90's or newer b/c of lack of rubber parts. I would like a small diesel P/U. I noticed that Toyota made a 2.2 diesel truck in the early 80's, has anyone had an experience with these trucks? Are they good trucks? I looking for a less expensive project truck to experiment on.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me too, but as ford the trucks id go with a 94 older ford or 95?older dodge

as for rubber parts, 99% are just the fuel lines (nothing in the IP)...not a big replacement problem just use viton lines to replace with

"they" say the best is mercedes 85older...can run it on "sand"

basically anything IDI, the newer DI have precision injectors with low tolerences that with succumb to carbon deposits much sooner (1/2 the time) as with pertoleum diesel.

as for the toyota that would be sweet, but good luck finding one...they did make quit a few D50/mitsubishi diesel pickups and i see a few here and there.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:04 AM
onioncasserole
Senior User
What does IDI and DI mean?

And I was going to ask about a good Mecedes as well but forgot to ask. are you referring to the Mercedes cars or trucks?

Old 10-06-2005, 08:16 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
In Direct Injection. and direct injection.

Those 2.2l diesels are the most reliable engine I have ever seen. Bar none (well maybe the 2.4l engine that followed it).
They bring a new meaning to gutless though.

The Benz diesels are good, darn reliable, but with thier parts prices you would want them to be. I would still say the 2.2 Yota diesel would be the most reliable.

If you have broadband.
Check this out...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa..._broadband.ram
(admittedly its the 2.4l engine. But it is essentially the same)

Last edited by BigF350; 10-06-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
bczolone
Elder User
yes i'm sure the toyota would be an excellent choice, i know i'd love to have the 4wd for hunting, but here in the U.S. i dont even know how many there are, actually only heard of them, never actually seen one.

mercedes cars...

or you could order a 4BT with a transmission, or adapt it to what ever...not sure on prices but those are much more common (4cyl. turbo diesel by cummins) found in "bread" trucks...seen several site that sell them...but ofcourse you'd have to be able to do the transplant too

Old 10-06-2005, 11:24 AM
onioncasserole
Senior User
Are there any other common problems associated with using Biodiesel? I.E. Like fuel congelling due to cold weather, switching rubber fuel lines over to viton. What else?
I've also heard that (regular diesel has sulpher in it to lubricate motor parts) biodiesel doesn't lubricate as well.
Also...after making a batch of Biodiesel, how does it compare pricewise with regular diesel?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 PM
paulm
Senior User
I had a 1980 Toyota diesel pickup. That thing was one of the toughest vehicles I ever laid my hands on. It wasn't the fastest thing on earth but it got around 40 mpg. I'd love to find one again for beating around town. I'd still have it except I got it stuck one cold December morning and it was low on oil, I revved it too high and it spun some bearings. By that time (around '86) the body was all beat up so we just parked in the pasture. Some passerby ended up buying it for a $500.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 PM
bczolone
Elder User
i haven't read anything as to problems with lubrication...Univ. of Missouri and Idaho and a few other have abstracts on line you can read and i know some still have ongoing projects so i would start searching for those...i tend to think they have more viable information than word of mouth...including mine. i make mine for about .93 a gallon, but i get my waste oil for .33/gal pre filtered so it save a bunch on the mess and the filtering, but theoretically it would be .60/gal if i gathered it my self. Methanol was 2.50/gal for the last tank and i forgot on the NaOH, but i buy it by the case; Red Devil 100% Lye....its the equipment thats costly on start up.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:29 PM
onioncasserole
Senior User
I didn't know you could but WVO pre filtered. How did you come about finding your source?

Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 PM
bczolone
Elder User
guy walked into my friends shop last year and again this year...i think he says he collects something like 10000gal a week?